About How Often Do You Ride Amtrak?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

About How Often Do You Ride Amtrak?

• Daily (work/daily commuter)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Few Times a Week (casual commuter/business trips)

• Once a Week

• Two or Three Times a Month

• Once a Month

• Between Once a Month and Twice a Year

• Twice a Year

• Once a Year

• Less Than Once a Year

• Never

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Diane said:
jccollins said:
I guess Amtrak Railfan - Ricardo hasn't voted yet.  (No one has checked the never category).   <_<
That is a rather mean comment. How do you think Amtrak Railfan would feel if he were to read this? It's no different than being a bully. Did you ever learn... If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anthing at all...?

By the way, I picked 2 times a year. Since I will be taking my second trip this winter.

Diane
It was NOT intended to be mean or hurt his feelings, but just to point out that he is frequently on the discussion board and hasn't partaken in the poll, even though he recently stated in another thread that he has "never taken Amtrak and has no plans to." It was not meant to "bully" anyone, just to encourage him to vote so the poll would reflect the conditions of all our members - I was actually hoping he would visit and vote in the poll. I apologize if it offended anyone or was misinterpreted.

Glad to hear you will be taking your second trip this winter, Diane, and thanks for voting! Enjoy, and let us know how it goes! :)

PS: I'll be leaving Reno (home) on the Capitol Corridor at 3:45a tomorrow (to the Bay Area) and won't be back for a few days to partake in the discussions. I hope you guys can hold up without me. :rolleyes: Wish me luck and no 'unusual' delays! B)

jccollins said:
PS: I'll be leaving Reno (home) on the Capitol Corridor at 3:45a tomorrow (to the Bay Area) and won't be back for a few days to partake in the discussions.  I hope you guys can hold up without me. :rolleyes:  Wish me luck and no 'unusual' delays!   B)
Hope you enjoy the train, JC :)

On that note, let's try to curb this bully topic.

I was lucky this year....went to Texas.,Min.,Was.,N.Y,& New Orleans...& enjoyed all the trips very much. :D

I wish I had more opportunities to ride Amtrak. Unfortunately, the last time I traveled by train was back in 1996. It was a short trip that consisted of about 8 hours round-trip.

The last time I was able to ride Amtrak long-distance was back in 1990 when I took the Pioneer, trains 25 and 26, to and from Oregon. It was a 2 night/3 day trip in Coach. I did that 3 years in a row visiting my Grandpa for the summer.

During my trip home, back in 1989, train 26 broke down about an hour from Pocatello, ID. We ended up in Salt Lake City about 3 hours late and missed our thru-car connection to the California Zephyr. Amtrak paid for us to spend the night in SLC and they coupled our cars to the CZ the next morning. That train was fairly long considering it had three thru-cars from the Desert Wind and two sets of thru-cars from the Pioneer (our 2 from the previous morning and 2 from that morning's train), plus those that came from Oakland, already on the CZ. All in all, I was 29 hours late getting home. It was a fun trip.

I enjoyed your note Superliner. The fact that you were visiting your grandfather reminded me that many of my trips have been spent visiting my sister. I only have one sister but she has lived many, many places and much of my mileage accumulation has been spent in visiting her.Also helped me to travel outside my own part of the country. For example, she lived in San Francisco for 30 years so I milked that for all it was worth!! Helps to have those relatives out there to visit. Just think of some of your other out of town folks and ride the train to see them!

Kind of surprised they did not hold your train for the late connection---the CZ, Desert Wind and the Pioneer were such a sturdy, I thought unbreakable, combination. Anyway, must have been fascinating to have been in such an abnormally long train the next day.

I ride between San Diego and LA a few times a year and I try to do a couple of longer distance (overnight) trips once or twice a year depending on vacation plans.

If I were to win the lotto and retire I would spend a month or so and travel all over the US by train. I would book deluxe rooms (put together for the adjoining configuration) and use one room as my lounging area and the other as my sleeping room. That would be very cool.

radsmom said:
I ride between San Diego and LA a few times a year and I try to do a couple of longer distance (overnight) trips once or twice a year depending on vacation plans. If I were to win the lotto and retire I would spend a month or so and travel all over the US by train. I would book deluxe rooms (put together for the adjoining configuration) and use one room as my lounging area and the other as my sleeping room. That would be very cool.
Why, if you won the lotto, not only could you travel "deluxe style" with Amtrak, but you could even purchase your own private rail car with your own personal crew. Then just pay Amtrak to haul you around the country on any of their trains. B)

I like Superliner started out riding trains to go to my Grandparents during the summer of 2001. Well we can all certainly tell what happened from there. :lol:

Come to think of it, my grandfather was part of my earlier, younger trips, also. Trips of earliest genuine memory (not counting the one when I was three) were from Chattanooga to Tullahoma, TN, to see my grandfather.

The other routine was Chatta to ATL to spend the day(trip taken several times with my mother . This also included the zoo). As I got older, my mother and I would separate after going to the zoo. She would shop and I would watch all the trains I could, at the two different downtown stations.

So...again, relatives seem to have a lot to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back