About How Often Do You Ride Amtrak?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

About How Often Do You Ride Amtrak?

• Daily (work/daily commuter)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Few Times a Week (casual commuter/business trips)

• Once a Week

• Two or Three Times a Month

• Once a Month

• Between Once a Month and Twice a Year

• Twice a Year

• Once a Year

• Less Than Once a Year

• Never

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jccollins

Conductor
Most of us obviously enjoy the benefits of rail transportation, but ABOUT how often do YOU get the luxury?

I fit into the two or three times a month category. As a college student in Reno, NV without a car, Amtrak is my sole source of transportation in and out of the city... and I love it! :D

I fit the once a week category commuting from sachole to the bay area.

Being still employed (not yet retired) and not having occasion to travel on business, I usually take one "big" vacation per year and one smaller trip, say, overnight to Washington, or even just four hours away from ATL to BHM. Wish it were more.

I usually wind up taking long weekend vacations everyother month. And it's usually to destinations that Amtrak serves, so why not take the train. :D

My frequency can vary widely. For most of the year while I'm in school I'll ride a couple times a month on the weekends (when the Marlins and Dolphins aren't at home) up to the Central Florida area and back same day (ocasionally I'll overnight at my Grandparents or Aunt & Uncles). During my breaks though I can travel up to 1600 miles per week (considering I work off a corridor 250 miles long that's a bunch of trips). But my choice went under the 2-3 times per month.

Between school, work, me still under the control of my parents, and a tight schedule I usually take one overnight trip on Amtrak each year. In between it's usually a commuter ride to Boston every two months or so.

I also fall under the category of a few times per year. not necessarily once per month, but I take it when the opportunity presents itself. I had no rason to take the train for over a decade, then I started Graduate school, and the train gives me a choice as to how I would visit the relatives. The only downside ( and it is a significant one) is that Amtrak doesn't serve Madison, WI directly. The nearest stations, coming from the West, are Portage and Columbus WI. The cab fare one-way can be almost as much as the round-trip train ticket from Red Wing :( . Oh, well. Sometimes that's the way life is. Kind of fun to be able to once again do something that I enjoyed in the past.

I guess Amtrak Railfan - Ricardo hasn't voted yet. (No one has checked the never category). <_<

Most employees will either drive to work or use mass transit in large cities. Driving is the most conventional method as you have a lot of stuff to carry, and getting on and off mass transit with a grip, overnight, flagmans kit, and all your other junk isnt fun.

battalion51 said:
Most employees will either drive to work or use mass transit in large cities. Driving is the most conventional method as you have a lot of stuff to carry, and getting on and off mass transit with a grip, overnight, flagmans kit, and all your other junk isnt fun.
Yeah I agree. But thats not to say if I had the option I wouldnt use it! :D

jccollins said:
I guess Amtrak Railfan - Ricardo hasn't voted yet.  (No one has checked the never category).   <_<
That is a rather mean comment. How do you think Amtrak Railfan would feel if he were to read this? It's no different than being a bully. Did you ever learn... If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anthing at all...?

By the way, I picked 2 times a year. Since I will be taking my second trip this winter.

Diane

Diane said:
jccollins said:
I guess Amtrak Railfan - Ricardo hasn't voted yet.  (No one has checked the never category).   <_<
That is a rather mean comment. How do you think Amtrak Railfan would feel if he were to read this? It's no different than being a bully. Did you ever learn... If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anthing at all...?

By the way, I picked 2 times a year. Since I will be taking my second trip this winter.

Diane
Diane, the truth is that Ricardo has never ridden Amtrak. I sort of don't understand how that could be interpreted as being a bully. If it were meant to be rude, I wouldn't say he deserved it but its to be expected with the type (and frequency) of "contributions" he makes.

Diane said:
jccollins said:

Diane

I agree with Diane about putting a mean remark on him. I'm aware that he never rode Amtrak before, but that is his wish list.

Ricardo, have you ever been riding on commuter trains before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back