AC-DM's no longer limited to Albany

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

battalion51

Engineer
I spoke with a buddy of mine in Albany today who told me something somewhat surprising. On Regional trains bound for Niagra Falls (or east of there), Adirondack, and Ethan Allen Express the trains are no longer losing their AC-DM at Albany, and are instead carrying them to their terminationg point. The LSL and Maple Leaf are still recieving P-42's (mostly NEC units on Maple Leaf) due to their destination of Chicago (or Toronto due to VIA crews). New stuff all the time!

Sounds interesting, It's good these trains don't have to change power. I take it the fleet is sufficient enough to allow this?

I'm guessing that with a couple of round trips per day with the Turboliners that's helping to alleviate the pressure on them.

Viewliner said:
Sounds interesting, It's good these trains don't have to change power. I take it the fleet is sufficient enough to allow this?
The fleet can handle it, but I'm not sure that it's a good idea. It's nice from the passenger perspective. However those engines are unique and don't really need the extra wear and tear. They also cost more to replace than do conventional P42's.

Additionally I'm shocked that they would send a P32 north to on either the Adirondack or the Ethan Allen. The P32 has a lot less pulling power than does the P42 and the Adirondack's aren't tiny little mountains.

This isnt really new, they have been sending P32 DMS out west and north since they first came about, but more often since the second order in 98. The Niagra Falls - NYC almost always had a P32 the whole way.

But I can definatly understand Alan's thoughts about the P42s should be on the Andirondack, though the AC traction motored units probably do alright.

AlanB said:
Additionally I'm shocked that they would send a P32 north to on either the Adirondack or the Ethan Allen. The P32 has a lot less pulling power than does the P42 and the Adirondack's aren't tiny little mountains.
When I rode the Adirondack to Port Kent (ultimately Burlington VT) in September 2001, the P-32 (700-series) engines were running through to/from Montreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back