Accessible sleeper prices

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question, since one can't look this up on the Amtrak website - are accessible sleeper prices comparable to a standard bedroom?

As noted in my introduction thread earlier today, I am planning to take a trip from Pittsburgh to Flagstaff next spring. I would probably just ride in coach for the Pittsburgh to Chicago segment, then get a sleeper for the Southwest Chief.

I am a wheelchair user.

Room prices for the accessible rooms tend to be higher than the costs for a roomette, but lower than the costs for a bedroom as a general rule of thumb. However, since each room type operates on its own bucket system, I believe that one might on occasion find that a bedroom costs less than an accessible room if you're purchasing the last H room and no bedrooms have yet been sold on that day's train.

I have a question, since one can't look this up on the Amtrak website - are accessible sleeper prices comparable to a standard bedroom?
As noted in my introduction thread earlier today, I am planning to take a trip from Pittsburgh to Flagstaff next spring. I would probably just ride in coach for the Pittsburgh to Chicago segment, then get a sleeper for the Southwest Chief.

I am a wheelchair user.
First let me say that you can't compare prices exactly. The prices are fluid and a price you are quoted at any given moment can change when you call back say 20 minutes later to make the reservation. You can get an idea though by going through the online reservation process short of completing the process. You will be given accomodation options and will be quoted a price.

The only one you can't do online is for the accessable or handicapped room. You have to call. It appears that you would qualify because your need for a wheel chair. Check out Accessable Information at the Amtrak website. Note though that there is only one room per sleeper car so you should reserve well in advance to improve the chances of obtaining one

I've been qualified for the handicapped room and have used it when traveling since 1998. As a result of a law suit for discrimination many years ago, those qualifying for the usage of that room are afforded a discount. The discount is not applied separately but will be included in the price the agent quotes you up front.

Your best bet in any case is to call Amtrak to discuss your needs and options.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought if you were truly handicapped, the Accessible Bedroom is charged at the same rate as the current bucket price for a roomette. Basically, you aren't being financially penalized for being in a wheel chair.

If you aren't handicapped, and reserving the Accessible Bedroom less that two weeks before departure, you are charged the same rate as the current bucket price for a Bedroom (which if no Bedrooms are left, is probably the highest priced bucket).

I thought if you were truly handicapped, the Accessible Bedroom is charged at the same rate as the current bucket price for a roomette. Basically, you aren't being financially penalized for being in a wheel chair.
If you aren't handicapped, and reserving the Accessible Bedroom less that two weeks before departure, you are charged the same rate as the current bucket price for a Bedroom (which if no Bedrooms are left, is probably the highest priced bucket).
Well seeing as the Accessible room offers twice the real estate as a roomette and includes at least a private bathroom in all cases, and in some cases a shower too, I wouldn't consider paying more for it than a roomette a penalty on the handicapped. If they charged more than a bedroom, that might be a penalty. If it was the same size as a roomette and it cost more, that too would be a penalty.

But charging the same as a roomette for a much larger room with facilities wouldn't be fair to those who aren't handicapped either.

Well seeing as the Accessible room offers twice the real estate as a roomette and includes at least a private bathroom in all cases, and in some cases a shower too, I wouldn't consider paying more for it than a roomette a penalty on the handicapped. If they charged more than a bedroom, that might be a penalty. If it was the same size as a roomette and it cost more, that too would be a penalty.

But charging the same as a roomette for a much larger room with facilities wouldn't be fair to those who aren't handicapped either.
Yeah, if a wheelchair fits in a std john or shower.

I wasn't aware when I reserved my Accessible Rooms if I was being charged the Roomette rate. So you may right about that! I do know that you are correct about the fare when the H room opens to non-handicapped at the 2 week point.

As a side note, the opening of the H room to non-handicapped only happens if there are no other accommodations left on the train.

Also, I can tell you just how helpful Amtrak people can be in a pinch.

It was 10 years ago when I had reservations for non-accessible bedroom on the SWC and found out when I boarded the train to start my westward trip that my room just couldn't work for me. The attandant checked with the H room passengers in another car, who were non-handicapped passengers reserving within the last two weeks, if they would be willing to switch rooms. They were more than happy to switch to the more desirable upper deck bedroom.

Heading back east the problem was a little more difficult. I was told that I had to call everyday around a particular time to see if there were any cancellations. Having only enough medication for 3 day beyond my original time schedule I was getting a little frantic over the long shot hit or miss method of trying to solve my problem.

I called again after about 3 or 4 days of checking for cancellations, and asked to be transferred to customer relations in Washington. I spoke to the rep. there and fully explained my predicament. Fortunately for me she took the bull by the horn and told me she would see what she could do and get back to me. Sometime before I was scheduled to board the train for the return trip I received a call back from her notifying me that she found an H room for me. She actually made calls to those who had Accessible Room reservations to find out if any were planning on keeping the reservation or were going to cancel and fortunately for me found someone who was going to cancel and the room was on the same day as I was supposed to be leaving. Boy was I relieved. Not only was the SWC problem solved, but it also meant that I didn't have to deal with not making the connecting LSL train at CHI.

As a prologue to this story, we hear a lot of problems associated with Amtrak, many of which Amtrak gets an unfair rap for. But this taught me that there are good people there and probably many times they go above and beyond in service to their customers - like in my case above. This experience probably also made me more considerate and understanding as a supervising motor vehicle representative for our customers for my remaining years until retirement. As you are probably well aware of, in our line of work we have, like Amtrak, had our share of both fair and a whole lot of unfair criticism for our service. Oh well, c'est la vie; that's history as well as the problems of my last Amtrak trip, and for that I'm happy... until the next trip anyway! :p

The Accessible room is still a two person room, with all the extra real estate simply for wheel chair maneuvering.

I really think it would be illegal (ADA violation) for Amtrak to charge handicapped person any more, simply because their wheel chair needs more real estate. Offering them a Accessible room at Roomette prices, is far cheaper than a lawsuit Amtrak will definitely loose.

The Accessible room is still a two person room, with all the extra real estate simply for wheel chair maneuvering.

I really think it would be illegal (ADA violation) for Amtrak to charge handicapped person any more, simply because their wheel chair needs more real estate. Offering them a Accessible room at Roomette prices, is far cheaper than a lawsuit Amtrak will definitely loose.
Well again it's not just more real estate. You are getting private facilities too! And since the bedrooms are priced at a higher rate than the accessible rooms, that would further prove that the handicapped aren't being penalized. In coach where there is no differences, someone in a wheel chair pays the same as someone in a regular coach seat.

Amtrak tries very hard to accomodate those with disabilities and in some cases even goes above and beyond what the ADA requires. For example a person who is legally blind and uses a seeing eye dog actually gets two tickets for the price of one. One ticket for the person, one for the dog. This keeps the seat next to the person empty, such that the dog now has a place to lie on the floor without worry about someone stepping on him/her.

Two points:

1. The handicapped rates were origionally reduced years ago by means of a discrimination law suit settlement.

2. People who are not handicapped can be accommodated by the roomette and the shared rest rooms whereas the handicapped for one or more reasons cannot be accomommodated by the roomette and/or the shared restrooms!

So I respectfully disagree with the statement quoted above. Or did I misunderstand it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back