Acela 21 (Avelia Liberty) development, testing and deployment (2Q 2024)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jis

Permanent Way Inspector
Staff member
Administator
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Evidently the (a?) trainset has been in Boston from 4/1 and has returned.

I've been intensely listening to the radio for a few months and I thought I should start sharing when I hear KP2022 is out. Some nights it's just the CETC 8 dispatcher saying one single message.

https://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=9HDRg1w6cc8

Spotted on April 18th. Heard on radio as KP2022 at 11:08PM so that's a back-and-forth test between County and Ham and not a relocation move.

Again, KP2022 was out again on April 20th. I didn't find anybody's uploaded videos.

Radio:
9:09:41PM Requested move west from Delco
10:42:03PM Received protection 4 track County to Delco
10:52:57PM Cleared up protection on 4 track, received protection 2 track Adams to County
11:03:07PM Cleared up protection on 2 track, started preparing to move west from Delco

They were supposed to get out Friday, but they had some issues and weren't able to turn a wheel. Not an earth shattering issue, that was resolved and they went out Saturday instead.

I can't publically share many details of whats going on, but I can share that company officials are being very supportive to the crew of these test train(s) and have been out riding multiple times to get a grasp of things.

They were supposed to get out Friday, but they had some issues and weren't able to turn a wheel. Not an earth shattering issue, that was resolved and they went out Saturday instead.

I can't publically share many details of whats going on, but I can share that company officials are being very supportive to the crew of these test train(s) and have been out riding multiple times to get a grasp of things.

That's cool information, thank you. Never heard them run on a Saturday until this weekend.

Regular update... this was last night's radio traffic since it wasn't complete when I last posted.

4/22 night - 4/23 morning radio log (New Jersey - KP2022 Acela II test train - County to Ham)
10:34PM CETC-8 needed a call with KP2022 before turning back east
11:08PM CETC-8 asked KP2022 if dispatcher could drop signal at County
1:19AM CETC-8 said CETC-7 is "checking on something" before "giving the signal"

Over 4 hours of testing last night, assuming they began at the regular 9PM.

Radio night of 4/23
11:20PM - #3742 asked dispatcher if KP2022 was holding up departure from Jersey Ave. #3742 is the 11:34PM from Jersey Ave. It deadheads to Newark Airport and is allowed to depart its origin early. I could not clearly hear CETC 8's response as the dispatcher used a "far" transmitter, probably in Princeton or Hamilton. There's some sort of radio zone system.

Back