Acela Advertising

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NECRider

Train Attendant
I've noticed that in the Northeast, Amtrak has a lot of advertising for the Acela Express. I've seen it at Nationals park in D.C. (Baseball), The Rock Creek Park tennis center (Legg Mason tennis Tournament), Citi Field, Yankee Stadium, and Fenway Park. Why is it that a primarily business people oriented train has that much advertising? I'd rather them take that advertising, and re-vamp some trains with all that money. Advertising on a professional league level cost tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars. Do any of you support the advertising?

Yes, I support the advertising. Airlines continue to advertise for business passengers and the auto manufacturers are certainly advertising their products.

I think the Acela adverts that I have seen stimulate not only rail travel but the premium rail travel. I would think the margin on Acela as compared to the Regional is much higher. I also think Amtrak in general is trying to keep ridership in all categories as high as possible in this unfavorable economy.

I've noticed that in the Northeast, Amtrak has a lot of advertising for the Acela Express. I've seen it at Nationals park in D.C. (Baseball), The Rock Creek Park tennis center (Legg Mason tennis Tournament), Citi Field, Yankee Stadium, and Fenway Park. Why is it that a primarily business people oriented train has that much advertising? I'd rather them take that advertising, and re-vamp some trains with all that money. Advertising on a professional league level cost tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars. Do any of you support the advertising?
Keeping your name and image in front of the public eye is always important. These ballpark ads also show up on game telecasts, so that's an added value.

I agree that it's important to keep your name out there, especially when you have such stiff competition in your target market. Amtrak is very competitive with both Delta and USAir Shuttles in the Northeast Corridor. If they can keep their name out there to the people that use them, and possibly expose themselves to people that wouldn't otherwise think of them, then the ad works. Even for the folks watching on TV out of market, it'll at least get them looking at Amtrak services if they're curious.

I agree that it's important to keep your name out there, especially when you have such stiff competition in your target market. Amtrak is very competitive with both Delta and USAir Shuttles in the Northeast Corridor. If they can keep their name out there to the people that use them, and possibly expose themselves to people that wouldn't otherwise think of them, then the ad works. Even for the folks watching on TV out of market, it'll at least get them looking at Amtrak services if they're curious.
I thought that Acela was primarily the business-people train. I agree that they should advertise, but maybe put something outside of the NEC.

I thought that Acela was primarily the business-people train. I agree that they should advertise, but maybe put something outside of the NEC.
Perhaps they're not showing it on the east coast, but Amtrak has been running a great ad showing kids playing with toys showing airport and highway congestion, as well as the other hassles of air and car travel, it then switches to a scene with a kid playing with model trains, announcing, "The train has arrived," the commercial then switches to a scene of a Superliner-equipped train, emphasizing "The train has arrived." It's great stuff.

So it is. What does that have to do with the price of tea in china? You need to advertise to everyone, including business people. Besides, any new rider is a new rider. Having non-business people on the Acela isn't a bad thing.

I fail to see why you think Amtrak shouldn't advertise its most comprehensive service!

Advertising the LD trains at this point is mostly an act in futility. The equipment isn't there to allow for increased ridership- no point in trying.

While I do see and/or hear more ads for Acela here in the NY market, I do also still get ads for the long distance trains. I probably see/hear 3 or 4 Acela ads for every LD ad, but Amtrak is trying to do what they can with the limited ad budget that they have.

So it is. What does that have to do with the price of tea in china? You need to advertise to everyone, including business people. Besides, any new rider is a new rider. Having non-business people on the Acela isn't a bad thing.

I fail to see why you think Amtrak shouldn't advertise its most comprehensive service!

Advertising the LD trains at this point is mostly an act in futility. The equipment isn't there to allow for increased ridership- no point in trying.
I'm all for advertising, but I'd think riders outside of the NEC would be a bit upset about it. I mean, it's their tax money as well, right?

Where they also advertise a lot that you didn't mention are the airports. Logan, Newark, and Laguardia all have lots of Acela ads and billboards given that their target market is often at the airport waiting to board a shuttle flight.

Acela is a business class service...I am always surprised to see kids on it. Was most surprised the day I saw mom and three kids in first class no less. They were brats, to boot...one guy de-boarding suggested that they all shut up....regardless those weren;t cheap tickets. Not having annoying kids to listen to is one of several reasons I take the Acela over regionals.

Anyway, Amtrak advertises to spread the word. Considering up until last fall peak hour Acela's were more often than not sold out it seemed to work.

Mike

I'm all for advertising, but I'd think riders outside of the NEC would be a bit upset about it. I mean, it's their tax money as well, right?
Sure, and those people don't want their tax money wasted on futile advertising campaigns!

Of course, some advertising is warranted; keeping the Amtrak name out there while waiting for the new capacity to come online could be a really good thing. But advertising just to advertise equally everywhere is probably not the best idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back