Acela at NE Regional fares...really?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed I’m comparing them to state supported trains in CA where I grew up and a lesser extent here in IL. San Diego to LA 20 something bucks for a 110 mile trip, upgrade to business for $15 extra still to this day.

Last edited by a moderator:
If State supported trains in California could sustain Acela level fares while filling trains, they would not require any operating subsidy from the State I suppose.
Then again over half of Amtrak’s subsidy is spent in the NE corridor...maybe the states should chip in more.

Then again over half of Amtrak’s subsidy is spent in the NE corridor...maybe the states should chip in more.
There is considerable doubt and disagreement about that, but that is for a discussion another day. But then again it is also true that some NE states do not pay what they should and they are having conniptions as the NEC Commission starts billing them the higher amounts. There is additional complication with Massachusetts since they own the track for which they have some different ideas what they should be paying, or not. It is quite complicated. The bottom line problem is the accounting methods designed by the geniuses at Volpe and enforced by FRA and without pushback from Amtrak totally suck. So no one is sure.

Well, if your plan is to ride this Mon,Tue or Wed......well:

View attachment 11580

But, if you're riding it on 12/26, you may be in for a slightly faster ride, with more tilt.
186 is a Northeast Regional.  I don't think the Amfleet cars have any tilt.

Why are they cancelling the train this week?  Now people who want to leave DC after 6 are forced between the Acela 2126 at 7 or Acela 2128 at 8 or the Palmetto at 8:30 (which runs the risk of being delayed points south), or 66 at 1010.   This train seems like its pretty well patronized, including the business set who need to hang around DC for a couple of extra hours, some long-distance commuters (there's a group who ride to Wilmington), and MARC commuters going to Aberdeen.

Why are they cancelling the train this week?  Now people who want to leave DC after 6 are forced between the Acela 2126 at 7 or Acela 2128 at 8 or the Palmetto at 8:30 (which runs the risk of being delayed points south), or 66 at 1010.   This train seems like its pretty well patronized, including the business set who need to hang around DC for a couple of extra hours, some long-distance commuters (there's a group who ride to Wilmington), and MARC commuters going to Aberdeen.
I think the tilt will be an Acela set subbing for 186

The sad truth is you REALLY would think the fares are too high if it averaged 90mph for longer trips.
The not-so-sad truth is the the average speed for the Acela between New York and Washington is 80 mph.  (2:50 for a 226 mile trip)  This is definitely faster than driving.

The trains are filled at the very high fares.  I guess if the states wanted to have lower fares for social/political reasons, they could subsidize the service more.  However, I suspect interstate intercity service is a lower priority for each state than commuter service.  The Washington-New York line passes through 5 states and the District of Columbia.  The New York-Boston line passes through 4 states.

Blue has answered this correctly.

I suppose the feeling is people will leave work and school early in the week since the holidays fall early next week. So, they are already beefing up the other trains for the ridership. Coaches have been added to the long distance trains and the confined set can bolster ridership.

Additionally and equally important is you have airline execs at the throttle. Their position is numbers. Why add equipment to trains when you have other trains for people to go to? If you REALLY want to go, you'll take the Acela...which fills it up..and produces more revenue.  Remember the motto: revenue trumps ridership.

They did the same thing during the Thanksgiving period. They canceled 187, the 905p out of NYP.  This left a regional gap between 7:40p and 1005p. Their attitude was they'll take the 8pm or 9pm Acela if they want to travel. 

It worked. People filled them up.

I am wondering how all those people booked on what they think is a plain old Regional, are going to react when an Acela trainset pulls up and they’re told to hop on. I sure know I would be extremely confused if that happened, and would probably have to check three or four times with staff to make sure I was boarding the right train...

They think they are getting a treat. The real problem was luring Amtrak passengers onto commuter trains around Thanksgiving, while attempting to keep the actual commuters off.

Back