Acela discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be on the Acela in First Class with the new menus soon. I looked them up, and I love at least one of the breakfast choices on each menu. For the lunch choices, however, only one of the menus had anything I would eat. And of course I’ll be on during lunch hours!

Is it possible to ask for a breakfast entree instead of a lunch/dinner one even if it’s lunch/dinner hours?

Also, what is the new dessert? Is it that delicious crème brûlée or is it a new dessert?

Thanks.😊

The day before we returned, I got an email from Amtrak saying something about "check in" for the Acela. I ignored it and had no problem boarding the Acela at South station and having my ticket scanned. When we go to New York, all of the people boarding were taking out their phones and taking pictures of their seat numbers on the overhead rack. I asked one of them who was sitting next to us about it, and he said that he had gotten an email from Amtrak describing this new "check-in" requirement. They seemed to be some problems getting it to work, and when the conductor came by, he said he didn't know anything about this, and just scanned everybody's tickets, except mine, .of course, because my ticket has disappeared from the app. Don't know what that was about. I'm taking another trip at the end of the month, so I'll see if they still have it.
I'm going to state that this is my opinion.

The check in is a way for Amtrak to attempt tp eliminate the AC job. The Conductor who worked FC on this train did the right thing and justified his or her job.
I have a question about Acela meals but will post it separately since it’s not related to the ticket discussion here.

Keep in mind that this thread is "Acela Discussion", so feel free to post it! :)

Thanks, that is good information. I had the same thing happen even with a paper ticket the last time I was on a Regional, so it’s not just the Acela. The conductor scanned my ticket when I boarded, and it was fine. When the new conductor at NYP scanned it, it didn’t come up and he had to go look me up somewhere and it was fine.

I will be on the Acela First Class soon after quite a while, but I will be able to start at a lounge and confirm things there and get them to print me out an “official ticket printed from the lounge” as backup. I sincerely hope that is good enough!

I have a question about Acela meals but will post it separately since it’s not related to the ticket discussion here.
There have been occasional issues with tickets disappearing from the app after departure (I think I've had it happen once or twice). Of course, if you've got the email handy, that usually helps as well...

I will be on the Acela in First Class with the new menus soon. I looked them up, and I love at least one of the breakfast choices on each menu. For the lunch choices, however, only one of the menus had anything I would eat. And of course I’ll be on during lunch hours!

Is it possible to ask for a breakfast entree instead of a lunch/dinner one even if it’s lunch/dinner hours?

Also, what is the new dessert? Is it that delicious crème brûlée or is it a new dessert?

Thanks.😊
You can always ask, there may or may not be any left on board. They usually exchange entree carts at NYP.

Is Alcohol served on morning Acela first class? I wouldn't expect beer, but maybe a morning cocktail (or two)? I remember I was in FC many years ago, and boarded at Newark around 11AM (northbound); was told by the attendant they don't break out the wine until lunch time (wine isn't really a morning drink, though).

You can always ask, there may or may not be any left on board. They usually exchange entree carts at NYP.
Thanks! I ended up trying a lunch after all, so for others choosing a meal from this menu, here’s what I thought.

I don’t eat meat often, but after eliminating the other meals for various reasons, I did choose the beef bourguignon. It was quite good.

I got thrown off by all the French and trendy restaurant speak in the description, but it’s essentially a pretty basic dish—pieces of beef, some carrots, mushrooms, and tiny (pearl?) onions, all in the juice, and a side of delicious mashed potatoes.

Dessert was tiramisu and pretty good.

Thanks! I ended up trying a lunch after all, so for others choosing a meal from this menu, here’s what I thought.

I don’t eat meat often, but after eliminating the other meals for various reasons, I did choose the beef bourguignon. It was quite good.

I got thrown off by all the French and trendy restaurant speak in the description, but it’s essentially a pretty basic dish—pieces of beef, some carrots, mushrooms, and tiny (pearl?) onions, all in the juice, and a side of delicious mashed potatoes.

Dessert was tiramisu and pretty good.
I'm slightly grouchy - I took the train on Ash Wednesday, so I couldn't really do the beef. The tuna was quite good, however, if a bit on the small side (which actually suited the day just fine).

I'm slightly grouchy - I took the train on Ash Wednesday, so I couldn't really do the beef. The tuna was quite good, however, if a bit on the small side (which actually suited the day just fine).

I will say that the previous cycles of menus had a lasagna on it, and that was one of the best dishes I've ever had on Acela in FC. Kinda wish they kept that.

New menus are coming around May IINM.

Back