Acela Express 8-16 and 8-23

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NECRider

Train Attendant
So, I took the Acela express from WAS to NYP on Sunday, August 16th and Sunday, August 23rd. I arrived at Union Station at about 8:00 am to catch the 9:00 out. It was so surreal to see a bustling station so empty. I had a croissant at au bon pain before boarding. The train left on time, and it was smooth sailing until we were outside of Wilmington, Delaware, where we sat and waited for about five minutes. Onboard, I had a burger and a pepsi, which was ok. We arrived at Pennsylvania Station on time.

I arrived at Pennsylvania Station at around 10:45 for my Noon train out. Picked up a newspaper, and waited for the track announcement. When they announced it, I took off so that I could get a good seat. I ended up sitting in the Quiet car, where the conductor gave us a speech about shutting up in the quiet car. It was smooth sailing all the way to union station. When I got up to get a soda, I left my newspaper on my seat. When I get back, it's gone, and some jerk a few rows up was reading it. It seemed rude by him, but I didn't feel like starting something over it. I got a little peeved about it later, as it was a souviner, but I shelled out another $1.25 for another.

Overall, the train was great. Nice, fast and convent to everything. I could make a daytrip to New York by taking amtrak. Now, amtrak is my way of travel across america! Hopefully, I'll go to New York again in a few months on Acela!!

Here are some pictures:

summer2009044.jpg

Union Station on a Sunday morning

summer2009046.jpg

Waiting to leave

summer2009050.jpg

Philly??

summer2009050.jpg

NJT

summer2009074.jpg

The Rock

summer2009141.jpg

Me chillin on the set of a new Drew Barrymore Movie!

summer2009148.jpg

Drew Barrymore

summer2009144.jpg

Her Costar, Justin Long

summer2009198.jpg

Class of '69 at citi field

summer2009260.jpg

She brought us to WAS just on time!

(I fail at picture resizeing, so if any Mods want to make them smaller, go ahead) :lol: :lol:

Glad to hear you enjoyed the trip! Isn't Amtrak great? I really enjoy taking the train. I did travel on Acela in July (BOS-WAS) but I have to admit I was a little disappointed in the quality of the cars. Several of the tray tables were broken or inoperative altogether. The quiet car on Acela made a horrendous creaking and squeaking noise above 60mph - I ended up moving to another car before we got to the Route 128 station. Even the staff complained about the noise it made.

I am sure the Acela trainsets were really awesome when they were brand new, but they are showing some age and deferred maintenance...I wonder if they will be refurbished in the future? It's unfortunate Amtrak has to literally beg for money each year.

Great trip report and pics!Theres always jerks everywhere you go but seems to be fewer on trains!I hope you try the LD trains when you get the chance,Acela is fantastic but so are all Amtrak trains!BTW,thats an exceelent point about the Acela consists getting long in the tooth,perhaps Alan or some other in the know member has info on when/if theyll be refurbed or replaced?

I am sure the Acela trainsets were really awesome when they were brand new, but they are showing some age and deferred maintenance...I wonder if they will be refurbished in the future? It's unfortunate Amtrak has to literally beg for money each year.
They are currently going through a refurbishment program. I believe about half the trainsets have now made it through the program, so it will probably be another year, perhaps two before they are all done.

summer2009141.jpg

Aloha

I am a little surprised they let you sit on that dolly. Did they tell you that that setup they let you pose with cost a little under a quarter million dollars. Also surprised you were able to take such a closeup picture of Drew, She is one fine woman. Consider yourself very lucky

They are currently going through a refurbishment program. I believe about half the trainsets have now made it through the program, so it will probably be another year, perhaps two before they are all done.
Hey that's great...there is hope! After riding that #2163 with the crappy equipment I decided the extra money really wasn't worth it - I find the regionals very comfortable and their timetable suits me fine. I'll ask my buddy next time he rides Acela to comment about any refurbished cars.

summer2009141.jpg

Aloha

I am a little surprised they let you sit on that dolly. Did they tell you that that setup they let you pose with cost a little under a quarter million dollars. Also surprised you were able to take such a closeup picture of Drew, She is one fine woman. Consider yourself very lucky
My uncle is one of the set grips, so he let me. The work they put into doing a 60 second scene was amaizing

My uncle is one of the set grips, so he let me. The work they put into doing a 60 second scene was amaizing
Aloha

Ok that make sense. What Local is your uncle out of? We electricians will never tell a grip they are the backbone of the industry. And our description of a grip is: If it is dirty, heavy and wheels, a grip will pick it up and carry it! And you are correct what happens behind the camera is amazing.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back