Acela Express

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest_Mariana

Hi Alan, can you or anyone else tell me how many acela express trains run everyday?

Guest_Mariana said:
Hi Alan, can you or anyone else tell me how many acela express trains run everyday?
On a per train basis, each weekdays there are nine Acela trains starting in Boston and ending in Washington with the same number on the return route. There are four Acela trains starting in New York and ending in Washington with the same number on the reverse routing. And there is one Acela train starting in Boston and ending in New York with the same number on the reverse route. So, in total, there are 28 Acela trains scheduled each weekday.

On Saturdays there are two round trips between Boston and Washington. On Sundays there are three round trips between Boston and Washington.

On a major city schedule basis, between New York and Boston there are 10 weekday Acela round trips. On Saturday, there are two round trips, and on Sunday there are three.

Between New York and Washington there are 13 weekday Acela round trips. On Saturday, there are two round trips, and on Sunday there are three.

And Now About how fast this Train runs the Acela Express Trains runs about 150 Miles per hour I think.

Amtrak Railfan said:
And Now About how fast this Train runs the Acela Express Trains runs about 150 Miles per hour I think.
Yeah, it runs at 150 MPH for about 18 miles of it's 457 mile journey. :blink:

The rest of the time it never gets above 135 MPH and there are many places that it doesn't even go that fast. :eek:

As a side note, there is a service similar to Acela Express called Metroliner (only runs between New York and Washington) that helps to fill in some of Acela's schedule gaps both on weekdays and weekends.

Yeah the Acela only hits its top speed on the straightaway between Route 128 and Providence, I believe.

xlr said:
Yeah the Acela only hits its top speed on the straightaway between Route 128 and Providence, I believe.
No there is a short stretch south of Providence too, where they hit 150. However collectively the two stretches only total 18 miles on a run that's 457 miles long.

That's why Amtrak needs money, to finish the job. Will Acela ever run 150 for the full length? Doubtful. But it aught to be able to run at 150 for at least half of it's journey. Right now it only runs at top speed for 4% of it's entire journey. :eek:

That's ridiculous. :(

Especially when you consider how much they tout the 150mph in their marketing, even though it's only a tiny fraction of the whole ride.

"As you zip along at 150 miles per hour"

...Yeah, for a few minutes.

Considering how much they advertise the speed it would be nixe to have a section from NY to DC where the train could hit it's top speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back