Acela First Class WAS-BOS and Back

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

districtRich

Service Attendant
I had never been to Boston before, so I figured I'd finally make the trip and try and use the upgrade coupons I had. I booked business class Acela last month for a trip that left DC this past Friday at 3:55pm and returned from Boston at 4:05pm yesterday. It was my first time using the upgrade coupons before, so I was worried there wouldn't be any availability, but I called at 5am on Friday and Sunday morning and had no issue using the coupons to upgrade to first class.

On Friday, I got to Union Station in DC around 3pm. There were delays from earlier in the morning, so the Club Acela lounge was standing room only. They boarded the 3pm Acela a bit late, so that finally helped clear out the lounge and opened up some seats. They then boarded the Capitol Limited around 3:30 which cleared the lounge out even more. The red caps then started taking people out the the Acela, but I just waited for open boarding from the lounge. The first class car was all the way at the front of the train, and I selected a single seat on the left side of the train near the galley. We departed on time and the attendants passed the menus out. The choices were a cheese and fruit plate, mahi mahi, Mexican cannelloni, or a quinoa salad. I decided on the cannelloni and they were very quick to serve the entire car. The food was good and they kept the wine glass full as needed. I then had a bourbon and they sure have a heavy pour.

We were a bit late as we got to NYC so they boarded everyone very quickly and we didn't have much dwell time at all. But since most people don't ride the entire route, the car emptied out except for two other people, so I changed seats to a single seat on the right side of the train before the new people boarded. They then came through again and passed out the menus to everyone. This time I decided to just have the cheese and fruit plate since I was pretty full already.

We got to Boston a bit late and since my hotel was closer to Back Bay I exited the train there and walked to my hotel a few blocks away.

After a great weekend in Boston, I checked out on Sunday and went to South Station so I could check out the Club Acela and have first choice of seats. I got there a bit early and was hoping to drop my bag in the lounge, but she said they don't have a bag room like the club in DC and I would have to use the paid bag drop. Since I didn't have a large bag I just carried it with me to meet a friend for lunch and a drink in the tavern in the middle of the station. At around 3:15 I went back to the lounge and asked if they boarded before general boarding like in DC, and he said no but would get me a red cap. The lounge was pretty empty. I think there was only one other person in it. At around 3:40 the red cap came and picked up my bag and walked me to the train with about three other people. I handed him a few bucks and sat in my seat on the left side of the train. This time the first class car was at the rear of the train. I went back out to snap a quick pic and saw they had a rope across the platform to keep people from boarding themselves without a red cap. After a few minutes they removed that and finally had general boarding.

The first class car was pretty empty at this point, but the attendant said it would fill up by Providence. He passed out the menus and we had the same food options as on the way up. I did the same thing and had the cannelloni and then the cheese and fruit plate. They also did a good job of keeping everyone's glasses full of wine and other drinks. Again, in NYP the car emptied out and a new group boarded for the second half to DC. We got in about 20 minutes late, but it was still early enough to catch the Metro to go a few blocks to my place.

Overall, I was pleased with the service. The food was good, and both crews were pretty attentive to the passenger needs.

Nice get away, thanks for sharing!

And what did you think of Beantown?

It's historic and has lots to do and see, but tends to be over priced and the people more rude and brusk* than those in the Apple or the Windy City in my expierence!

*Doesnt apply to our AU friend Mike!

Last edited by a moderator:
Rude? Yes (maybe "straightforward" is a better word). Help anyone in need? That, too. I like Boston, but it could have something to do with family ties.

Nice trip report. Makes me want one of those upgrade coupons. How do you get them? If you have to be Select, that's not happening for me...

Nice get away, thanks for sharing!

And what did you think of Beantown?

It's historic and has lots to do and see, but tends to be over priced and the people more rude and brusk* than those in the Apple or the Windy City in my expierence!

*Doesnt apply to our AU friend Mike!
It was a good visit. I saw some friends I hadn't seen in a while and walked around the city a lot. I went to the top of the Prudential tower too to see the views. The weather was amazing which made eating outside and sightseeing nice.

Rude? Yes (maybe "straightforward" is a better word). Help anyone in need? That, too. I like Boston, but it could have something to do with family ties.

Nice trip report. Makes me want one of those upgrade coupons. How do you get them? If you have to be Select, that's not happening for me...
I got one coupon for signing up for the new Amtrak MasterCard, and I managed to get Select status too after a couple of long distance sleeper trips which gave me two more coupons.

Back