Acela, Metroliner, or Regional

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxman

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
So I'm planning on coming up to the Northeast alot next spring and would like to do lots of train riding between Boston and NYC and New York. Looking at the timetable there are dozons of trains including Acela, Metroliner and Regional service. What are the main differences? I know Acela is high speed and will definetly do that. How is it different from Metroliner. I notice on the time between Acela and the other really aren't much faster, but by a few minutes. Also what first class and business really like? Are there any pictures of the seats? How is the service? Also being a Select member, I have 5 passes to ClubAcela. What is that like? What are the nicest clubs? All I can imagine is the Admirals Club for American Airlines.

I'm also thinking of route city pairs to travel between. I can fly to BWI and go to Boston with stops in PHL and NY.

Anyways, I'm just thinking different things to do over various weekends while I use my AA flight benefits. Any comments?

Chris

Acela offers the newest cars and engines, while Metroliners and Regional all use the older Amfleet I equipment. Both Acela and Regional offer service between Boston and Washington DC, while Metroliners only run between NY and DC. There is no Metroliner service north of NY to Boston.

Other than bigger windows and newer seats on Acela, there is little difference between the Acela & the Metroliner business class service. First Class service however is slightly better on the Acela, but Amtrak did upgrade the Metroliners FC to be comparable to Acela where ever possible. Business class offers no perks on either train.

However on Regional service, BC does have a few perks. Things like a free non-alcoholic drink and a free newspaper.

The first class service on both Metroliner and Acela is very good, with food and drink (including free alcohol), served to you at your seat. Like anything Amtrak, the crew can make or break the experience. The food is decent, although not quite up to dining car standards. However it beats anything that I’ve ever been served on an airplane.

As for the Club Acela’s they are all nice. I think that Boston’s is the best, but that’s not saying that the others are terrible. Be sure to use up those coupons, unless of course you travel first class since you are already entitled to the lounge.

All the lounges have refreshments, a TV, a couple of computer terminals, clean bathrooms (with no bums in them), and large comfortable couches and over-stuffed chairs.

Hope that helps some. :) Let me know if you've got more questions.

I have some interior pictures on my site that might help you out, look in the Acela and Amfleet sections. I would definitely reccomend a ride on the Acela, it's an experience to say the least. As far as Regional vs. Metroliner I'd take aq Regional to save the cash since it's not too different from one to another (unless you're riding First Class on Metroliner).

Back