Acela - NY Penn to DC - 1st Timer Tips

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

I'm heading from NY Penn Station to Union Station in Washington DC on the Acela in July. This will be the 1st time I've been on Amtrak, so I was wondering if anyone has tips on how to ride the rails. I was browsing the forums and I noticed that some people talk about the right time to arrive to get good seats and other such useful information. I'd be interested in any such station-specific tips.

Also, my wife will be joining me half way through the trip and we'll be returning home together. Since there are no assigned seats, what's the best way to ensure that we'll be able to sit together?

Thanks in advance!

- X

I suggest you arrive NYP about 30 minutes prior to departure time.

Watch the board for the posting of the track number. Have your ticket

in hand and proceed to the gate number.

I would suggest that you place something on the seat next to you to

reserve it for your wife. When the conductor collects your ticket,

tell him/her that you wife will join you at the station and he may

show the seat as being taken. There really isn't any guarantee that

a seat can be reserved, but usually, the conductor will try to help.

If you are in Business Class, there is a Quiet Car, which is usually

the car directly next to the First Class Car and forward of the Lounge

Car. If you are in First Class, the lounge attendant will announce which

end of the train has the FC car.

I hope you have an enjoyable trip.

If you are in Business Class, there is a Quiet Car, which is usually

the car directly next to the First Class Car and forward of the Lounge

Car. If you are in First Class, the lounge attendant will announce which

end of the train has the FC car.
Thw Quiet Car is always adjacent to the First Class car, but whether it is forward of or behind the Food Service car depends on the orientation of the consist on that particular run.

Just grab two seats when you board in NYP. If you want to make sure you can get two seats together, try to snag a redcap. For just a $5 tip he will bring you down to the tracks before everyone else, bypassing the line. Then you can be one of the first people to board and you will get your pick of seats.

I recommend that you sit in the aisle seat and put a bag on the window seat. Then, someone will have to ask you if the seat is taken and you can of course reply that your wife is joining you in a few stops. If you sit in the window and leave the aisle seat open, someone might just sit down. But if you sit in the aisle, they would have to physically crawl over you to get to the seat. It should be perfectly fine.

Thanks for the info! I'm really looking forward to my trip!

Same concepts apply for the return trip (DC --> NYP)? Arrive 30 mins early, etc.?

Thanks again!

-X

Actually, if you are familiar with Penn Station there is no reason to arrive early. Most regulars get to the station 15-20 mins before departure and just get on the train as soon as it starts boarding. Typically they will not board until 10-15 mins before departure anyway. The really seasoned know of ways to get to the platform while avoiding the cattle call at the Amtrak departure level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back