Acela Tipping

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reno89502

Service Attendant
Over the past couple of weeks I have taken Acela first class from Philadelphia to Boston. On the way up to Boston I tipped the first class car attendant $10. On the way back I tipped him $20, mostly because he stocked my bag with free liquor. I'm just curious how much other members of this forum tip the first class attendant.

Since I travel enough that I know some of the crews, and they know me, I'll tip the good ones $20 for NYP-BOS and reverse. Others, be they one's I don't know or one's that I know who let my wine glass go empty, will get less; typically $5 or $10. I think only once have I given nothing.

I had an attendant who once gave me the remains of a bottle of a white wine at the end of the acela run. The bottle was open and had been half drunk during the trip. Is that stealing? Would they really re-use the same bottle on another trip? Doubtful.

I also once had an attendant tell me to keep a small liquor bottle he had deposited on my table mid-way through the trip, presumably for a cocktail refill. I ended up not drinking it on the trip, he told me to keep it since he had already given it to me.

I wonder how they track that kind of stuff in acela FC.

There have also been plenty of people on this board who have posted that the attendants let them keep the cute little lowball glasses that they use on Acela FC.

The OBS that do the Wine and Cheese Tastings on the CZ and the EB always give away the Partially Consumed Wine and Cheese used during the Tastings when they have the Trivia Contest for the Pax! As was said, they Can't Use them Again and they arent Supposed to Consume it Themselves!

I know LSAs Do have to Account for pretty much Everything Aboard that's for Revenue so that Bean Counters and Deficit and Budget Hawks like Mica don't go Bananas because some LSA gave away a Pepsi or a Partial Bottle of Alcohol!

Stealing is Stealing, but in cases like this there is no Free Lunch and the Passengers in FC have Paid a Pretty Penny for their Rides! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone else think that stocking someone's bag with liquor is stealing from Amtrak?
I've seen an attendant give a full bottle of wine to a group of four. Best part. They were getting off at NYP and FCC was sold out the whole way.
Well they restock at NYP during most trips.
No they don't. Not for a while. When at NYP I try to stretch my legs. Both attendants do the same. Just "fresh air".

Does anyone else think that stocking someone's bag with liquor is stealing from Amtrak?
I've seen an attendant give a full bottle of wine to a group of four. Best part. They were getting off at NYP and FCC was sold out the whole way.
No they don't. Not for a while. When at NYP I try to stretch my legs. Both attendants do the same. Just "fresh air".
Some trains don't restock meals, but any other item can be (and often is) restocked with a simple phone call.

I don't consider it stealing, since the liquor is free in First Class. And the mostly I have gotten is 5 bottles of Vodka and a bottle of Champange.

Some trains don't restock meals, but any other item can be (and often is) restocked with a simple phone call.
I definitely saw them restocking with my own two eyes during my last trip from PHL - PVD about two weeks ago. It was June something or other.

I do remember them restocking at NYP. I was on the platform smoking a cigarette and I asked the attendant if they had any steak for dinner. He said that they were bring more on board since they ran out at lunch.

As for tipping, if they keep my glass of Pepsi full all the way from PHL to BOS, they get $20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back