Acela upgrades 1st Class Dining as of Summer Fall 2021

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A good sign of things to come on the Amtrak dining front... Acela 1st Class Dining is the latest food upgrade on Amtrak... now posted on their website. Although the menu is not extensive... it's reflective of a refreshing and wholesome new food offering. So, in the West the reviews on refreshed and 'reinvented' dining service have been stellar... this then is a continuation of that positive momentum. Next of course is an overhaul of the Flex Meal program on Eastern trains and on the Texas Eagle.

In this regard... perhaps Amtrak dining initiative will be 'the little engine that could' that indeed... did!

1628215825463.png

Attachments

• Acela-Express-First-Class-Menus-0821.pdf
    295.1 KB · Views: 23
For the price of Acela First Class, one would think they'd have something more like 'meat and potatoes' than fancy-smancy 'haute cuisine'. I'll be riding them in less than 2 weeks. I may just pass on the lunch/dinner menu.

For the price of Acela First Class, one would think they'd have something more like 'meat and potatoes' than fancy-smancy 'haute cuisine'. I'll be riding them in less than 2 weeks. I may just pass on the lunch/dinner menu.
Oh well... I can't disagree that overpriced Acela 1st Class is hewty snooty... I rode it twice... the first time the attendant was super nice offering to top off my G&T non stop... and more entrees. I rolled off stuffed... snookered... and happy! The second time I had a smiling aloof attendant who said... Yes! I'll get to you soon. Never did. I did get one drink when I went up and asked him for it... and I did get a meal when I returned and asked him for that as well. I'll probably not return to Acela 1st class again... unless it is an upgrade.

But my excitement towards this 'improvement' is the hope that they'll finally do away with the Anderson Flex Meals on the Eastern runs and the sadly depleted Texas Eagle limping along without its SSL... just about anything would be better than the Flex Flop meals that have so many of us gagging with a spoon!

Disappointed that there isn’t a hot vegetarian entree for lunch and dinner (or vegan option at all), especially given what first class costs.

Beggars can’t be choosers. I’m glad it at least is no longer flex dining, and it appears to be appetizing! I take enough morning acelas that I’ll be testing the new breakfast offerings soon.

As fate would have it I got to try this menu a few days ago. I'm out in Washington D.C. on family vacation (we rode the CL in) and being from the midwest I thought I'd take the opportunity to experience the Acela. My father in-law and I took it between Philly and D.C. in the early morning springing for first class on the way back just for the experience. I only got two pictures because we were visiting. Both my father in-law and I really liked it. My father in-law has never ridden Amtrak and this whole trip was new to him. I've been steadily riding on and off 10 years.

I don't personally like omelets(summer job cooking breakfast which included an omelet bar) and never order them, but decided to this day just to see what a warmed up omelet would be like (figuring that this was the best opportunity for it to be good and for it to not cost me money). It was really good, and really flavorful, not rubbery (that was what I figured it'd be). In fact I'd happily order it again.

I'm not sure what it would cost if it were on the regular dining car menu but it was good. I'm going to try and skirt the dining car (I know it's not an option on Acela but I see little reason something like this couldn't be rolled out to other trains) blackhole discussion, but I will say as someone who has experienced everything from Iowa Pacific's offerings to the full Amtrak dining car cooked to order menu, that I would be very happy and content with this if it was offered on the midwest trains (my home area).

Attachments

• PXL_20210804_113812079.jpg
    PXL_20210804_113812079.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 34
  • PXL_20210804_113755019.jpg
    PXL_20210804_113755019.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 34
As fate would have it I got to try this menu a few days ago. I'm out in Washington D.C. on family vacation (we rode the CL in) and being from the midwest I thought I'd take the opportunity to experience the Acela. My father in-law and I took it between Philly and D.C. in the early morning springing for first class on the way back just for the experience. I only got two pictures because we were visiting. Both my father in-law and I really liked it. My father in-law has never ridden Amtrak and this whole trip was new to him. I've been steadily riding on and off 10 years.

I don't personally like omelets(summer job cooking breakfast which included an omelet bar) and never order them, but decided to this day just to see what a warmed up omelet would be like (figuring that this was the best opportunity for it to be good and for it to not cost me money). It was really good, and really flavorful, not rubbery (that was what I figured it'd be). In fact I'd happily order it again.

I'm not sure what it would cost if it were on the regular dining car menu but it was good. I'm going to try and skirt the dining car (I know it's not an option on Acela but I see little reason something like this couldn't be rolled out to other trains) blackhole discussion, but I will say as someone who has experienced everything from Iowa Pacific's offerings to the full Amtrak dining car cooked to order menu, that I would be very happy and content with this if it was offered on the midwest trains (my home area).

Don’t know if you tried the previous omelette. If you did, how did it compare to the (rather bad) spinach and tomato omelette prior to dining upgrades?

As always, it’s kind of comical to see Dunkin coffee served in first class. Pretty bad that’s their first class offering, when their lounges serve La Colombe.

Also:
Just got on my laptop and was able to download the full menu. I was wrong, and the other menu does contain a hot vegetarian lunch/dinner entree.
Anyone know when and how they deploy each menu? Or is one in the summer and the next one in the fall?

Last edited:
Don’t know if you tried the previous omelette. If you did, how did it compare to the (rather bad) spinach and tomato omelette prior to dining upgrades?

As always, it’s kind of comical to see Dunkin coffee served in first class. Pretty bad that’s their first class offering, when their lounges serve La Colombe.

Also:
Just got on my laptop and was able to download the full menu. I was wrong, and the other menu does contain a hot vegetarian lunch/dinner entree.
Anyone know when and how they deploy each menu? Or is one in the summer and the next one in the fall?

I haven't had the other omelet, so don't know. Spinach and tomato is more appealing to me so it's a shame it wasn't good.

Coffee being Dunkin doesn't bother me, but I do not have strong preferences in coffee. Although the attendant and I did have a good laugh when I ordered a "regular coffee" and the attendant brought me cream, turns out out here "regular coffee" is with cream (and maybe sugar) vs. the midwest (or at least Indiana) where it means black. The more you know.

Dunkin Donuts and Amtrak signed an agreement a few years ago for their coffee to be served on the Acela and NER. Lounges and other areas of the country are not covered.
Look under any corporate rock and you'll find cost cutting. Advertising to a captive audience brings in the corporate cash!

It was also a period where DD, strong in the Northeast, facing an influx of competition, pushed back with menu expansion and increased presence in smaller locations like gas station convenience stores. They also added K cups to their line.

I'm not a coffee drinker, but my parents sure were happy to have DD when I took them on their first Amtrak trip back in June. As for the new Acela First menu I'm impressed and it looks like they're grasping the idea of food as a major reason to upgrade. Now if they can just apply similar principles to the café cars.

I'm not a coffee drinker, but my parents sure were happy to have DD when I took them on their first Amtrak trip back in June. As for the new Acela First menu I'm impressed and it looks like they're grasping the idea of food as a major reason to upgrade. Now if they can just apply similar principles to the café cars.

DD coffee isn’t bad coffee by any stretch of the imagination. But when you are paying upwards of $200 per person for a first class ticket, I would hope for better coffee.
It just isn’t a premium brand, and shouldn’t be associated with premium products and services.
It more than suffices for all other situations I think.

DD coffee isn’t bad coffee by any stretch of the imagination. But when you are paying upwards of $200 per person for a first class ticket, I would hope for better coffee.
It just isn’t a premium brand, and shouldn’t be associated with premium products and services.
Unfortunately it all revolved around $$$. The contract with DD included DD paying for all the new coffee makers to equip the Amfleet and Acela equipment. That and the F&B dept. in Wilmington was in love with DD. They had been talking about serving DD for 3-4 years before it actually happened.

Unfortunately it all revolved around $$$. The contract with DD included DD paying for all the new coffee makers to equip the Amfleet and Acela equipment. That and the F&B dept. in Wilmington was in love with DD. They had been talking about serving DD for 3-4 years before it actually happened.

I realize this is the case, I’m more just complaining about what what is, versus what should be.

There are many innovative methods the transportation industry takes advantage of the captive audience. Remembering the days I flew on Delta... and upgraded as a Diamond Medallion. Just before the safety announcements, all were invited to watch the screens in the seats in front of them for an 'important announcement.' That certainly got everyone's attention... and for the next 30 seconds all were treated to a showing of the Cadillac SST to entice the spending of 10's of thousands of dollars to so that 'you can own one!'

Da ya really think anyone was actually motivated to head to the Cadillac showroom after the flight to get one?

So began a new protocol observed by many irritated Delta frequent flyers... especially those upgraded in 1st class... take the napkin they serve the preflight beverage with... and cover up the screen during the ad. 😁

For the price of Acela First Class, one would think they'd have something more like 'meat and potatoes' than fancy-smancy 'haute cuisine'. I'll be riding them in less than 2 weeks.

I understand your point of view. I would not call the menu choices "haute Cuisine". I would call the selections "trendy". Note the number of items that are using goat cheese, Srirache seasoning, and basmati rice. These items have become "popular".

I think the menu is a step in the right direction. Let's hope Amtrak continues to make progress in improving their food offerings.

The new offerings seem to have upscale qualitative offerings but I do agree that money paid for 1st class Acela service needs to be in line with money paid. But as many have said... this is certainly a step in the right direction.

Most importantly, this change brings hope that those wretched flex meals that are so bland, boring, and unhealthy... will be replaced with something that has taste, texture, and satisfies that hunger in a relatively healthy way.

1) Depending on the time of day, people can spend almost as much on a Northeast Regional ticket. They're riding the train to get places without the hassle of traffic, not for the food service.
2) When I ride Acela, first class, I've noticed that a significant minority of the passengers refuse the food service, anyway. Obviously, they're not riding for the food.
3) I think that the target market for the first class service is people who want larger seats, single seats, and to be separated from the riffraff in "business class" (in reality coach). The open bar might be an attraction, too. I really don't think they care whether the food offerings are "premium" brands or not.
4) For all the times I've ridden Acela first class, I've never actually paid full price for a ticket. I either use points or an upgrade coupon. I wonder what percentage of Acela first class riders actually pay the full fare.

1) Depending on the time of day, people can spend almost as much on a Northeast Regional ticket. They're riding the train to get places without the hassle of traffic, not for the food service.
2) When I ride Acela, first class, I've noticed that a significant minority of the passengers refuse the food service, anyway. Obviously, they're not riding for the food.
3) I think that the target market for the first class service is people who want larger seats, single seats, and to be separated from the riffraff in "business class" (in reality coach). The open bar might be an attraction, too. I really don't think they care whether the food offerings are "premium" brands or not.
4) For all the times I've ridden Acela first class, I've never actually paid full price for a ticket. I either use points or an upgrade coupon. I wonder what percentage of Acela first class riders actually pay the full fare.

1. A first class Acela ticket will always be more expensive than a NE Regional ticket. Your referring to some specific timing comparrisons. A NE Regional ticket can be more expensive 1 day out than an Acela first class fare 3 weeks out. If your NER ticket costs $200, then your Acela First ticket costs $350.
2. Refusal of food service by some doesn't indicate any lack of desire to have good food to begin with.
3. Speak for yourself. I was mostly speaking (or complaining) for myself.
4. This point seems fair, but I doubt that is a regular case. I could be wrong however.

Last edited:
Speaking for myself, I don't think the quality of food served in Acela First Class has ever been a major consideration for my choice of using that accommodation. If my company was paying for it, I'd just go for the single window seat. Afterall the company travel agent presumaby takes care of finding the low fare if they allow it at all. If I am paying for it, the consideration would be similar, though I would probably spend a little more time getting the lowest possible fare.. Quite often though it also had to do with whether I can snag an upgrade or not. Just me mind you, with no attempt to generalize, none whatsoever.

Of the last dozen or so Acela rides about 60% have been i9n First Class.

Last edited:
Speaking for myself, I don;t think the quality of food served in Acela First Class has ever been a major consideration for my choice of using that accommodation. If my company was paying for it, I'd just go for the single window seat. Afterall the company travel agent presumaby takes care of finding the low fare if they allow it at all. If I am paying for it, the consideration would be similar, though I would probably spend a little more time getting the lowest possible fare.. Quite often though it also had to do with whether I can snag an upgrade or not. Just me mind you, with no attempt to generalize, none whatsoever.

Of the last dozen or so Acela rides about 60% have been i9n First Class.

Fair enough.
The post in question was my complaint about coffee, and that I don't identify with DD as a premium brand (I'm not the first to say that. Most YouTube train reviewers seem to agree). I don't think its unfair to say that DD is out of place in Acela first, but perhaps he felt otherwise.

Back