Acela WAS-NYP Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NECRider

Train Attendant
Hello all,

I'm a newbie here on the forum, and a newbie to Amtrak, and I have some questions about the Acela Express. I booked tickets from WAS-NYP on 8-16, a Sunday. Do you guys think that it will be crowded?? It's the 9:00 am out of WAS, and 12 noon on 8-23 out of NYP. Also, should I give myself more time than Amtrak recommends to be at the station (30 mins)??

Thanks in advance,

NECRider

You shouldn't have a problem with the 30 minute warning because both operations are really slick.

If you are going First Class it is even slicker... Maybe then you should take an hour-- just to enjoy the lounges!

You shouldn't have a problem with the 30 minute warning because both operations are really slick.
If you are going First Class it is even slicker... Maybe then you should take an hour-- just to enjoy the lounges!
Is it possible to get bumped up to 1st for free?? Like, could I sweet-talk to an agent and maybe get upgraded?

I have never heard of anyone getting a free upgrade on the Acela to first class.

You should be fine with 30 minutes at the station. If you board in WAS, which is the beginning of the run, they normally start boarding about 10-15 minutes prior to departure. If you get a redcap, you can board first before everyone else, which I always try to do, so I can get a window seat on the water side.

Everytime I ride Acela it is pretty crowded. I have always gotten a seatmate.

Hello all,I'm a newbie here on the forum, and a newbie to Amtrak, and I have some questions about the Acela Express. I booked tickets from WAS-NYP on 8-16, a Sunday. Do you guys think that it will be crowded?? It's the 9:00 am out of WAS, and 12 noon on 8-23 out of NYP. Also, should I give myself more time than Amtrak recommends to be at the station (30 mins)??

Thanks in advance,

NECRider
The trains are usually crowded on Sunday on the NEC. You should have no problem finding a seat to your liking on the WAS>NYP portion since the train will originate in WAS. On the 8/23 south bound train, if it originates in Boston you could have a problem finding a desirable seat.

Is it possible to get bumped up to 1st for free?? Like, could I sweet-talk to an agent and maybe get upgraded?
Good thought but the only way to upgrade is to ask the conductor when you board the train and pay accordingly.

Even if it is a through train from BOS the entire train basically turns over at NYP, so it's not too terribly bad. If you're not familiar with either station you may want to give yourself a little bit of extra time, NYP especially can be a maze.

Although Sunday trains can be crowded, that is not usually true of the early NB trip out of WAS (#2250). I would not expect much more than a 50% load on that train, at least as far as Philadelphia.

I would not sweat getting First. Coach, er, I mean Business Class, is just fine, particulary with a light load. You will miss a free breakfast, but that's about it. IMHO, it's not worth the upgade ($100) and tip for breakfast, juice, and coffee. A crowded train at dinner with wine is different.

For the southbound, if you have some luggage, you might try the Red Cap trick. Get a Red Cap to handle your luggage. They could get you down to the platform prior to the masses so you can claim a good seat. That could be worth the tip, even if you could easily handle you luggage. You could consider it an early boarding fee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all,I'm a newbie here on the forum, and a newbie to Amtrak, and I have some questions about the Acela Express. I booked tickets from WAS-NYP on 8-16, a Sunday. Do you guys think that it will be crowded?? It's the 9:00 am out of WAS, and 12 noon on 8-23 out of NYP. Also, should I give myself more time than Amtrak recommends to be at the station (30 mins)??

Thanks in advance,

NECRider
The trains are usually crowded on Sunday on the NEC. You should have no problem finding a seat to your liking on the WAS>NYP portion since the train will originate in WAS. On the 8/23 south bound train, if it originates in Boston you could have a problem finding a desirable seat.

Good thought but the only way to upgrade is to ask the conductor when you board the train and pay accordingly.
Actually he can upgrade to first class with any ticket agent before boarding and would no-doubt be preferable than just doing it with the conductor.

You will not get a free upgrade. Unless you get a coupon from an AGR member, no such thing.

For the southbound, if you have some luggage, you might try the Red Cap trick. Get a Red Cap to handle your luggage. They could get you down to the platform prior to the masses so you can claim a good seat. That could be worth the tip, even if you could easily handle you luggage. You could consider it an early boarding fee.
Ditto on that, I do it all the time. Good way of missing the herd of folks rushing to the gate when the track number is posted.

I would not sweat getting First. Coach, er, I mean Business Class, is just fine, particulary with a light load. You will miss a free breakfast, but that's about it. IMHO, it's not worth the upgade ($100) and tip for breakfast, juice, and coffee. A crowded train at dinner with wine is different.
Compared to BC on the other regionals-- I'd say Acela BC is on par.

I have never heard of anyone getting a free upgrade on the Acela to first class.
You should be fine with 30 minutes at the station. If you board in WAS, which is the beginning of the run, they normally start boarding about 10-15 minutes prior to departure. If you get a redcap, you can board first before everyone else, which I always try to do, so I can get a window seat on the water side.

Oops. What side of the train is the water side? Since I'm traveling alone (I'm 15), will I be able to board any quicker?

Oops. What side of the train is the water side? Since I'm traveling alone (I'm 15), will I be able to board any quicker?
The ocean is on your right as you go north (to the east) and on the left (to the east) as you head south. Although, I always ride to BOS and I'm not sure if there are any good ocean views between WAS-NYP. There are some great views of the ocean as you go through CT between NYP-BOS.

I generally sit on the west side (left north, right south), and enjoy the great views through the marshlands of Maryland. The advantage to the left side, regardless of direction is you get a good view of passing traffic.

I generally sit on the west side (left north, right south), and enjoy the great views through the marshlands of Maryland. The advantage to the left side, regardless of direction is you get a good view of passing traffic.
I do same and since I travel in the morning the sun is on the other side on each leg of my trip which I prefer.

Not so. Regional Business Class uses former Metroliner coaches with much greater seat pitch than Acela, and Regional Business Class includes at least some amenities like free beverages (does Pepsi only make those mini cans for Amtrak?). Acela Business Class seat pitch is no better than Regional coach, and the service offers no amenities what-so-ever. Want a soft drink? Cough up the cash. Want a newspaper? Buy one at the station. It was called Business Class as a marketing tool by former Amtrak president George Warrington. But regardless of what it's called, if it looks like coach, and quacks like coach, it's coach.

Not so. Regional Business Class uses former Metroliner coaches with much greater seat pitch than Acela, and Regional Business Class includes at least some amenities like free beverages (does Pepsi only make those mini cans for Amtrak?). Acela Business Class seat pitch is no better than Regional coach, and the service offers no amenities what-so-ever. Want a soft drink? Cough up the cash. Want a newspaper? Buy one at the station. It was called Business Class as a marketing tool by former Amtrak president George Warrington. But regardless of what it's called, if it looks like coach, and quacks like coach, it's coach.
At 5'10 and 250 pounds... let me tell you I am very tuned into the differences between seats...

It is better than NEC coach and on par with BC. We can agree to disagree.

Can you upgrade from Business to First on the Acela with the AGR Select coupons?
Yes, but you must follow the T&C including the fact that there must be a seat available to upgrade into. You must also do it at the ticket counter or by calling the number.

And the fun thing is, you'll get the 750 rail points if you're traveling between the stated city pairs-- that's 250 extra RP for free!

Last edited by a moderator:
I also planned on chilling in NYC when I arrive, but I will have luggage. Can I store it at Penn for free because I traveled with amtrak that day? Or will I have to pay the $4.50?

I also planned on chilling in NYC when I arrive, but I will have luggage. Can I store it at Penn for free because I traveled with amtrak that day? Or will I have to pay the $4.50?
No free storage just for riding on Amtrak.

If you do upgrade to First, you have access to the Club Acela. Inside the lounge, there is a coat room where you can store your bags. It's unattended, meaning someone can just walk off with your luggage, but given that only First Class travelers and Select Plus elite members (i.e. relatively well-off people, not just your run-of-the-mill street bums) have access, it's highly unlikely anyone would even bother your bags. Many AU members have left there items in there without incident, although I probably wouldn't recommend leaving a high-value item like a laptop in there.

If you're not in First, I believe there is paid luggage storage available at NYP. Not sure where it is, however.

You could also go over to a nearby hotel and ask the bellhop to hold your bags for you. Holding a fiver or a ten when you make the request may make him more likely to say "yes." The historic and famed Hotel Pennsylvania is just up the street from the station. (Not sure which street--but Google Maps is your friend!)

Generally, does the train come on a set track so that I can get a head start (and a good seat?)
No, there is no real way to predict it.

The best way to get a good seat is come early as possible to get in line, or else, get in first class.

But again Sunday trains aren't really as crowded.

Generally, does the train come on a set track so that I can get a head start (and a good seat?)
No set track, but you can get in line OR you can try to grab a redcap to help you with your bags. You can snag these in WAS, NYP, and BOS. They literally have redcaps and their job is to help pax with luggage. You will need to tip the redcap, I generally do $5 for 1-2 bags.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back