ACS-64 Heads Up

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another heads up...

Siemens has posted the schedule for #602's trip across the nation this week:

California Zephyr – Train 6 (27)

6/27 – Departs Emeryville, CA

6/29 – Arrives Chicago, IL

Capitol Limited – Train 30 (30)

6/30 – Departs Chicago, IL

7/01 – Arrives Washington, D.C.

Special Route

7/02 – Departs Washington, D.C.

7/02 – Arrives Wilmington, DE

It also sounds like Amtrak will pick up #602 from the Siemens factory in Sacramento today around 3pm and then shuttle it to the Oakland yard.

#602 will be wearing a special (temporary) design that has line drawings of the skylines of DC, Philadelphia, NY and Boston.

#602 will be wearing a special (temporary) design that has line drawings of the skylines of DC, Philadelphia, NY and Boston.
Well, people will have to post photos and YouTube videos of #602 enroute to the NEC then. Pretty confident that people will do that. :)

Well, people will have to post photos and YouTube videos of #602 enroute to the NEC then. Pretty confident that people will do that. :)
And I will sit in front of my computer, my eyeballs stuck to the screen, and forego food and water, until that #602 shows up on YouTube!!! Arrrrghh!!! There's already a puddle of saliva on the floor!!!!!!

;-)

Another heads up...Siemens has posted the schedule for #602's trip across the nation this week:

California Zephyr – Train 6 (27)

6/27 – Departs Emeryville, CA

6/29 – Arrives Chicago, IL

Capitol Limited – Train 30 (30)

6/30 – Departs Chicago, IL

7/01 – Arrives Washington, D.C.

Special Route

7/02 – Departs Washington, D.C.

7/02 – Arrives Wilmington, DE

It also sounds like Amtrak will pick up #602 from the Siemens factory in Sacramento today around 3pm and then shuttle it to the Oakland yard.

If it truly is a Temporary Paint job, and I like it, when it gets repainted I'll be bummed! :(

I thought the positioning was FRA regulations, as the engine hasn't been certified yet it has to have a certified car on both ends of it. And it makes more sense to stick an engine in the middle of an existing rake of engines rather then at the rear & shipping out an additional car for protection.
The older Cascades don't meet FRA standards and run under a waiver that requires them to have an certified car on both ends.

peter
I'm not so sure about that, although I could well be wrong.

However, since the engine isn't certified it cannot be used as a cab car should the need arise to run the engines around the cars and go in the other direction. By putting a P42 on each end you solve that issue.

That need doesn't arrive often, but still one doesn't want to find out that you need to make such a move when you don't have a certified cabcar/engine at the end of the engine group.

The Talgo issue is about crash buffer strength, the older Talgos don't meet the current standards. Adding that extra car gives the trains enough buffer strength to still operate under the waiver granted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak just posted a picture of 602 ready to begin her journey:

1010935_10151661485264014_547647564_n.jpg

I wish!
To be clear, the picture isn't mine.
I got that but I know you take Great Pics, can Write and are Rail and Computer Literate! Maybe when Fred Frailey retires you could Snag his Spot, hes getting Long in the tooth, when I talked with him on the Candian in Feb. he seemed ready for the Retirement Home! :giggle:

Amtrak just posted a picture of 602 ready to begin her journey:
The picture is available on the Amtrak's All Aboard blog site for those who want to check it for updates. Amtrak is making a noticeable fuss over the movement of #602 from CA to Wilmington. Wonder if there will be a press event at WAS next week before it is moved to the shops in Delaware.

The city skyline artwork is elaborate enough that I expect it will remain on #602 after it enters revenue service. #603 and beyond will likely get more bland paint jobs.

Do electric locos have less traction, ie, only able to start a shorter length consist, a lighter consist? The thought being: a diesel/electric loco has a large/heavy engine plus the weight of the fuel to feed it, a large heavy generator and the traction motors + the mass to support such; an electric only has the traction motors... and I assume (I know, dangerous), that the ability of a engine to get a consist moving is a function of both its hp + its ability to get that hp to the rails (traction)... or is this a moot point in that 602 et al will only be motivating lighter commuter trains?

ACS-64 question: given that such "only" have the traction motors inside (unlike diesel/electric), is there enough room/ a path for an engineer to move from the operating position at one end to the one at the other end without having to go outside like one has to on a D/E loco? Not an important question - but curious.

Do electric locos have less traction, ie, only able to start a shorter length consist, a lighter consist? The thought being: a diesel/electric loco has a large/heavy engine plus the weight of the fuel to feed it, a large heavy generator and the traction motors + the mass to support such; an electric only has the traction motors... and I assume (I know, dangerous), that the ability of a engine to get a consist moving is a function of both its hp + its ability to get that hp to the rails (traction)... or is this a moot point in that 602 et al will only be motivating lighter commuter trains?
Your general concept is true, and you also kind of answer your own question as well. Electrics do tend to have less adhesive weight than diesels, but also deliver more consistent tractive power. 72,000 lb of starting tractive effort is enough to start most passenger trains, since they only weigh in at around 420 metric tons (8 car amfleet consist with passengers) to around 940 metric tons (the advertised max consist of 18 amfleets [with passengers] for this locomotive). If you go on several European locomotive manufacturers' websites such as this one: http://www.newaggliwice.pl/en/locomotives-3/griffin-2.html you will see data on similar locomotives showing rated speed with consist weights well over the numbers above.

Also electrics are more efficient than diesel locomotives. Diesels only have about an 85% maximum transmission of prime mover power at the alternator to wheel horsepower. Take Amtrak's P42DC as an example. The GE 7FDL-16 is rated at 4,200 hp, but even without HEP loads, you are only going to get about 3,850 or so of that HP to the traction motors. Also due to the lower horsepower, continuous tractive effort is achieved at a much lower speed (38 mph). The ACS-64 on the other hand, is rated for around 8,500 hp 10-min maximum output <-- I'm guessing about the 10 min limit, but since Siemens advertises the locomotives to have a continuous value of 6,700 hp, I'm going to take this venture. If the engineer maxes out the throttle and keeps it there, until the 10 minute mark, all 8,500 hp will make it from the transformer to the wheels. In addition, due to the higher horsepower, continuous tractive effort is rated for a higher speed (~55 mph). If you need a visual representation for the difference electrics and diesels in continuous effort, take a look at the TE graph for the NJT Dual Mode ALP-45DP:
A562.jpg

NOTE: Starting TE for both locomotives represented in the graph is 316 kilonewtons (71,000 lb)

As you can see, when in electric mode with 5,360 hp at the wheels, continuous tractive effort is maintained to around 54 km/h (33.5 mph). When in diesel mode with around 3000 hp at the wheels, CONT TE is maintained only to around 28 km/h (17.4 mph). The ALP-46A is also shown here in comparison, with its 7,500 hp at wheels holding continuous TE to around 85 km/h (53 mph). And keep in mind, a single ALP-45DP can handle 8 Bombardier Multilevels and keep schedule, in diesel mode, while the ALP-46A regularly lugs around 10 car consists of MLVs on the NEC for NJT, and those cars weigh a couple tons more than an Amfleet car.

ACS-64 question: given that such "only" have the traction motors inside (unlike diesel/electric), is there enough room/ a path for an engineer to move from the operating position at one end to the one at the other end without having to go outside like one has to on a D/E loco? Not an important question - but curious.
Yes. Most electric locomotive designs have a walk through passageway connecting the cabs. This passage is not so much for the engineers to use as passage, but more for maintenance of the electrical equipment.

The traction motors are not inside the body of the engine, any engine. The traction motors sit beneath the engine's shell on the truck so that they can connect to the gear on the axle to drive the train. What does sit inside are rather large transformers that convert the overhead power into something usable by the traction motors. Since those transformer cores are largely iron, they have considerable weight. So much so that Amtrak's electric motors are only about 50,000 lbs lighter than it's Diesel engines are.

And on all engines, electric or diesel, there is a hallway that the engineer can walk down to get from the cab to the other end of the engine.

The traction motors are not inside the body of the engine, any engine. The traction motors sit beneath the engine's shell on the truck so that they can connect to the gear on the axle to drive the train. What does sit inside are rather large transformers that convert the overhead power into something usable by the traction motors. Since those transformer cores are largely iron, they have considerable weight. So much so that Amtrak's electric motors are only about 50,000 lbs lighter than it's Diesel engines are.

And on all engines, electric or diesel, there is a hallway that the engineer can walk down to get from the cab to the other end of the engine.
Not only do they use a transformer to lower the AC catenary voltage, they then use a rectifier to convert the that lower voltage AC to DC, and then an inverter to convert the DC back to AC. An electric locomotive is like a power substation on wheels.

Not only do they use a transformer to lower the AC catenary voltage, they then use a rectifier to convert the that lower voltage AC to DC, and then an inverter to convert the DC back to AC. An electric locomotive is like a power substation on wheels.
What is the purpose of transforming the AC to DC and back again?

What is the purpose of transforming the AC to DC and back again?
Warning: structural engineer playing electrical engineer.

Modern AC traction uses three-phase induction motors. Catenary power is single phase. The single phase AC catenary power (60hz or 25hz) is converted to DC, then is inverted back to three phase AC to power the motors.

Back