ACS-64 Heads Up

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefer this one:

PerRock_20140927_0000.jpg

peter

(PS yes I know it's an ES64, not an ACS-64. But we don't have one for Trainz yet & the ES64 is really the same thing with some small changes)

Really, just go join the Facebook group and see 'em all. They're awesome:
All this photoshopping effort and no ACS-64s in possible SEPTA livery? At this point, MARC is very unlikely to purchase any ACS-64s. However SEPTA is seeking to buy new electric locomotives, so there may be SEPTA ACS-64s in a few years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really, just go join the Facebook group and see 'em all. They're awesome:
All this photoshopping effort and no ACS-64s in possible SEPTA livery? At this point, MARC is very unlikely to purchase any ACS-64s. However SEPTA is seeking to buy new electric locomotives, so there may be SEPTA ACS-64s in a few years.
Nah, there's definitely a SEPTA photoshop:

1391720_4653330507222_4415624412724547954_n.jpg

MBTA might get into the market for some electric equipment too. But they of course might get it from CNR too. :)
I thought there was a huge discussion about how the MBTA wasn't going to electrify just for one/two lines, unless I missed something since then.

They got the EIS for the new line approved based on electrified service to get to their pollution reduction numbers. So we will see what happens. If they actually proceed that way then it will be silly not to deply electrics on the NEC too. OTOH, if they go back on their pollution reduction promises, which they could, then all bets are off.

Saw 602 and 606 pass each other this morning outside Union Station from the DC Metro Red Line. Almost every time I look out of the window on that stretch of my commute I see one of the ACS-64s now.

I have to say I really like them, especially those LED headlights. Can tell it's one of them from pretty far away!

And here's a look at the other side of #6(28) in Chillicothe, Iowa this morning. The train was running just under fifty minutes late. #6 has been making decent time across Iowa lately (knock on wood). Hopefully BNSF can keep it up through the holiday travel season.

They got the EIS for the new line approved based on electrified service to get to their pollution reduction numbers. So we will see what happens. If they actually proceed that way then it will be silly not to deply electrics on the NEC too. OTOH, if they go back on their pollution reduction promises, which they could, then all bets are off.
I fully expect them to cut the electrification as a compromise to lower the price tag. For a grand total of 20 round trips a day on a single track line electrification makes no sense.

Saw 602 and 606 pass each other this morning outside Union Station from the DC Metro Red Line. Almost every time I look out of the window on that stretch of my commute I see one of the ACS-64s now.
This is a telling statement. Now that they have entered the Keystone pool, seeing an ACS is no longer a rarity. Seeing the two remaining Amtrak HHP-8s in operation is a rarity. The DCs are also starting to feel the pinch as two more were set aside for storage.

Take your pictures while you can.

MBTA/MassDOT have attempted to renege on pollution reduction promises repeatedly since the Big Dig. However, the result of this is that all the environmental watchdog organizations are watching them and ready to pounce, so it may be harder for them to do that at this point.

Another possibility is a "swap" -- replace planned electrification on this line with electrification on other busier lines, for a net reduction in pollution. They could probably get away with that as long as they actually *did* the electrification on the other lines.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a telling statement. Now that they have entered the Keystone pool, seeing an ACS is no longer a rarity. Seeing the two remaining Amtrak HHP-8s in operation is a rarity. The DCs are also starting to feel the pinch as two more were set aside for storage.

I haven't seen an HHP-8 in awhile now. i think the last one i saw from the Metro was in MARC colors.

I haven't seen an HHP-8 in awhile now. i think the last one i saw from the Metro was in MARC colors.
I saw one in Sunnyside yard a few days ago. Looked to be on a long distance train, though it was pitch dark outside, hard to be sure. Considering how often I make my way down to the NEC, it may well be the last one I ever see.

There is a post at trainorders that states that the 2 remaining Amtrak HHP-8s have made their last revenue runs and will be "put to sleep" at Wilmington. #655 is being shop moved from NYC to Wilmington tonight and #651 will be moved from DC to Wilmington on early Monday morning. So, say goodbye to the hippos. How much longer MARC will keep running their HHP-8s, don't know.

There is a post at trainorders that states that the 2 remaining Amtrak HHP-8s have made their last revenue runs and will be "put to sleep" at Wilmington. #655 is being shop moved from NYC to Wilmington tonight and #651 will be moved from DC to Wilmington on early Monday morning. So, say goodbye to the hippos. How much longer MARC will keep running their HHP-8s, don't know.
Aren't they basically Acela power units on the inside?

So I guess they will be highly sought after for spares?

Aren't they basically Acela power units on the inside?

So I guess they will be highly sought after for spares?
Amtrak doesn't own them, Bombardier does. I imagine Bombardier wants them back in one piece.

Back