ACS-64 Heads Up

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shawn, the AEM-7DCs will be the first to go as the ACS-64s enter service. Followed by the AEM-7ACs, and the HHP-8s will be the last to go.

Shawn, the AEM-7DCs will be the first to go as the ACS-64s enter service. Followed by the AEM-7ACs, and the HHP-8s will be the last to go.
Based on posts here and other rr forums, the order of retirement of the AEM-7ACs and HHP-8s may not be that cleanly structured. If 5 HHP-8s are out of service and parts are hard to get, the retirement order may be intermixed and driven by events. If an AC unit or HHP-8 unit needs costly repairs and enough ACS-64s are ready for revenue service, then the out of service unit may get sent off to the storage tracks.

Well here's a couple videos I wish I'd uploaded sooner. They show AMTK 603 on the California Zephyr at Ottumwa, Iowa back on August 12. I'd tried to zoom in on as many details as I could as it was stopped at the station.

Another person that was there also shot their own video (Bonus points to whoever can spot me filming my videos on this video).

By the way, does anyone know it 605 made it onto a Zephyr yet?

Thank you Mr. jis.

Here's #6(06) speeding though a crossing this morning with AMTK 605 east of Agency, Iowa. The train was running just 14 minutes late.

Amtrak Cities Sprinters will be numbered (600-669) and HHP-8 (650-664) will be renumbered (680-694) as ACS-64 deliveries progress.

As an added question Will the ACS-64's be numbered upto 669 or 670? I'm not sure on that one.. I want to say 669.
Actually, rumor is that the last engine will be numbered 670 and that one number in the sequence will be skipped. Of course Amtrak could still change its mind during the delivery phase; but at least for now 670 is supposed to be the highest number.

As an added question Will the ACS-64's be numbered upto 669 or 670? I'm not sure on that one.. I want to say 669.
Actually, rumor is that the last engine will be numbered 670 and that one number in the sequence will be skipped. Of course Amtrak could still change its mind during the delivery phase; but at least for now 670 is supposed to be the highest number.
I can see them doing that to reduce vandalism. I know highways that are numbered 666 (or some variant thereof) tend to get their signs stolen quite frequently. Not saying that someone will steal a engine, maybe graffiti.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Mr. jis.

Here's #6(06) speeding though a crossing this morning with AMTK 605 east of Agency, Iowa. The train was running just 14 minutes late.
Agent, he was really hustling there. Maybe with AU you'll be able to catch all 70 ACS units! :)
I've already missed 604, so I'll have go east if I want to see that one.

In the meantime, a couple more videos of 605 on the California Zephyr have cropped up. This one was filmed in Batavia, Iowa:

Personally, I'm hoping someone will upload a video of 605 on the detour in Wyoming. Also, I haven't found any videos of it on the Capitol Limited (if that's the train it took).

Heads Up

600 has finished testing at Pueblo, CO and plans are for it to head East on the Southwest Chief 4(11) from La Junta, CO. [Today's #4 originating in LAX, picking it up on the 12th, into Chicago on the 13th]

Heads Up

600 has finished testing at Pueblo, CO and plans are for it to head East on the Southwest Chief 4(11) from La Junta, CO. [Today's #4 originating in LAX, picking it up on the 12th, into Chicago on the 13th]
There is a report on TO that the special from Pueblo to LaJunta passed Avondale, and it also had a long string of Superliners in it. I wonder where the Superliners came from. The whole lot will apparently be hooked onto the SWC at La Junta

Possibly testing the ACS with SL's???
I don't see what the purpose of that would be. Unless they wanted confirmation that a ACS-64 could pull Superliners as a test for the possibility of using ACS-64s to pull bi-level corridor cars on the CA HSR tracks someday.

The thought occurred to me when I was posting in the AAF/FEC thread. Does Amtrak need formal FRA approval before placing the ACS-64 in revenue service, well, if the basic approvals have not already been granted. Most of the FRA staff is on furlough with only the safety inspectors and accident investigators working. Could the government shutdown delay the deployment of the ACS-64s into service if there is no one to sign off on the test reports and grant approval for revenue service?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back