ACS-64 Heads Up

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was in DC yesterday at 3:30. Sitting in the yards north of the station.
Was not the #600, since it is enroute and arriving in Chicago today by train #4. It was another ACS-64 in DC.
Probably either 603 or 604
Or #605 if it came in on the Capitol Limited. Did not see any reports of #605 being moved on the CL, but we are approaching the point where people are paying less attention to the deliveries and equipment moves.

Here's a video of the Southwest Chief at Rutledge, Missouri with AMTK 600 and a lot of Superliners.

ACS-64 Locations:

600- Chicago (Arrived October 13th via OAK/DEN/Pueblo/LAJ)

601- Pueblo, CO (Arrived June 8th via OAK/DEN)

602- NEC (Arrived July 1st via OAK/CHI/WAS)

603- NEC (Arrived September 20th via OAK/CHI/ALB/NFL/Hornell,NY/NFL/ALB/NYP/PHL)

604- NEC (Arrived September 3rd via OAK/CHI/WAS)

605- NEC (Arrived October 10th via OAK/CHI/WAS)

My guess for the reasoning on making the move of the ACS-64 with all of the Superliner cars is braking power. Its a lot easier to run a train with two live motors, a dead motor, and a pile of Superliners than it is to just run light power. There's a reason why light power is restricted to lower speeds than an engine with train.

does anyone know.where the 603 is? Someone told me it's out doing field testing. Also did these motors.test on the Harrisburg line?

And sad, that 18 car consists no longer run, and we all know that such trains ran in the not too distant past. With equipment and product awareness this could be a mainstay once again.
Doing so when most of the stations are short-platformed isn't such a great idea, due to the need to stop the train twice ("double spot" is the term I'm told).
That, of course, raises the question of platform lengths across the system.

Syracuse, NY isn't long enough to board the entire 13-car Lake Shore Limited -- not even all the passenger cars at once, let alone the baggage cars and locomotives -- and Syracuse has got a pretty long platform. I know some stations like Chicago Union and NY Penn have extremely long platforms, but most stations don't. For instance, I think 18 cars on the SW Chief would overrun the platforms at Albuquerque!

It all comes down to how trains are loaded. Longer, heavier trains are more likely to be an issue for Long Distance Services than it is for Regionals. For example, when the new Viewliners come online you could be looking at trains of 12 cars on a regular basis for the Silver Meteor (Bag Car, Bag/Dorm, 3 Sleepers, Diner, Lounge, 5 Coaches).

So right now 600 & 605 are almost to DC. Has 601 left pueblo yet?
It's funny that you say that, the 600 and 601 went to Cali to get decal in the normal amtrak livery. Unit no. 600 is in the dc and I guess the 601 shouldn't be to far behind. I'll find out what's good with the 601.

ALP 46A is not dual mode. It is pure electric.
ahhh what is the difference between that and an alp 46
Horsepower and Max Speed..
The ALP46A also doesn't have a diesel engine in it. The ALP46A also has two cabs which doesn't require it to be wyed to be tied on to a train. The ALP45s have a diesel engine and a single cab.
The two cabs would have made the ALP-45DP to heavy for NEC max weight standards. How they made it with a diesel engine and an electric motor and still beat the NEC weight requirements beats me..

NEC does not have any special weight requirements other than the standard 286klb on four axles. The ALP 45s are just about as heavy as the MARC MPI 36s.

But the original question asked was what is the difference between the ALP46 and ALP46A and Acela150s answer was correct, as both of those are pure electrics, the only difference being power, reactive effort and max speed, and internally the electronics, the 46A essentially being based on the TRAXX platform.

The electricals and traction packs in the 45DPs are similar to those in the 46As. But in addition they have two high speed diesel prime movers which are controlled by power demand.

Back