ACS-64 Heads Up

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Report says 603 departed BOS approximately 30 minutes ago. Heading back down to NYC / PHI / WAS behind Acela 2159. Happy hunting.

I expect the first few ACS-64s off the line are going to be a bit finicky for a while, as with any production line. I eagerly await the arrival of the larger mass of "main production" of ACS-64s, at which point we will probably start seeing the retirements of the old motors pretty quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it time to worry since there's been so many issues already and now we have a breakdown so soon after it's entry to service?
If you follow the introduction of any new equipment, you'll quickly find out that each introduction goes through the same cycle. There are always bugs to work out, and initial breakdowns are usually minor issues that can be worked out. Anyone who remembers the PL42AC's introduction can vouch for this. They were considered near-lemons for the first year or so after their introduction, but now, they seem to work just fine. You need to give equipment somewhere between 2-5 years (two to make sure the introduction bugs are worked out, and 5 to make sure no chronic problems develop early on in their lives) before you can make a judgement call on whether to worry about them or write them off as lemons.

600 having some air issues.

601 steadily on the #184/#129 all week.

602 on #127/#198 today.

I've been told by friends who used to be in the automotive industry that you don't really want to buy one of the first 100 cars off a production line, because the production line is still working out bugs.

The railway car & locomotive production lines are *much* slower, so it isn't the first 100, more like the first 5, but you still expect a much higher rate of trouble in the first few vehicles off the line.

As various bugs get worked out, there will be very minor changes to design and construction. The earliest vehicles off the line will need a bunch of little retrofits to get them up to the same standard as the later ones. This is normal and not a big deal.

I've been told by friends who used to be in the automotive industry that you don't really want to buy one of the first 100 cars off a production line, because the production line is still working out bugs.

The railway car & locomotive production lines are *much* slower, so it isn't the first 100, more like the first 5, but you still expect a much higher rate of trouble in the first few vehicles off the line.

As various bugs get worked out, there will be very minor changes to design and construction. The earliest vehicles off the line will need a bunch of little retrofits to get them up to the same standard as the later ones. This is normal and not a big deal.
Very well said sir, on that note the 600 was out and about on train 152.

602 arrived just now at PHL leading train 129.

Edit to add: 601 was on 92 this evening. I do not know why it lost time in WAS and on its way to BAL.

I was recently able to look at one both inside and outside, experience it in service, and I am converted from a skeptic to a believer! There are some bugs to be worked out... but these are quality locomotives. Amtrak has had nothing built as well and beautifully as these before. I believe they are going to make a big improvement to NEC service.

I was recently able to look at one both inside and outside, experience it in service, and I am converted from a skeptic to a believer! There are some bugs to be worked out... but these are quality locomotives. Amtrak has had nothing built as well and beautifully as these before. I believe they are going to make a big improvement to NEC service.
I ran the 600 on train 91 the other day and your right this motor is great. The dynamic brake works very well and if you guys were wondering you can bring this motor down to 1mph using dynamic. Amtrak finally put theres heads together and came up with something thats finally good.

To all you engineers who run the ACS-64 out there; how did Dovetail Games do with the programming of the TS2014 ACS-64? Do you think they managed to hit the nail on the head in terms of simulating the thing?
Round trip from NYP to New Haven and back:

Can anyone here confirm that ACS64 605 will be testing on the Keystone Corridor of the 27 of this month. I've been hearing some things about it but I need hard proof any info will be grateful. Thanks everyone!!

Back