ACS-64 Heads Up

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is AMTK 640 heading east on the California Zephyr through Iowa today. The train was running almost three hours late at this point.
Interesting how the ACS-64s appear to be delivered in batches. After a few weeks with nothing, then last week, #638 and #639 were shipped east. We'll see if there is gap before #641 shows up.

At what point do they have enough ACS-64s cleared for revenue service before the AEM-7 ACs locomotives start getting retired? With 28 AEM-7 ACs on the active roster, I think the start of retirement of the AC units is not that far off.

What is important is not how many have been delivered but how many have been accepted for unlimited service. Any one have that figure ?

If 28 AEM-7ACs are in service it may be once 42 ACS-64s cleared for unlimited service then the 43rd in full service might allow for AC retirements. That way a full 70 motors would be in service which is the delivery number of -64s.

Here's a report that two one more ACS-64s were, AMTK 641, was taken from the factory to Oakland on Thursday. Might have It left on Amtrak #6 on Friday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pictures of #642 appeared on the NEC Facebook group. One interesting thing about 642, is that it's 'undecorated.' No Blue & red stripes, no "Amtrak" or the Travelscape markings. Simply silver and a little black & a Siemens logo. Any ideas why this one is different? My best guess is that another RR is going to give it a test run.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=960942653939621&set=pcb.10152673514141626&type=1&theater

peter

Edit: correction, there is an Amtrak logo. It's small and by the side window. I missed it in the smaller view FB gave me. Question still stands however.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pictures of #642 appeared on the NEC Facebook group. One interesting thing about 642, is that it's 'undecorated.' No Blue & red stripes, no "Amtrak" or the Travelscape markings. Simply silver and a little black & a Siemens logo. Any ideas why this one is different? My best guess is that another RR is going to give it a test run.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=960942653939621&set=pcb.10152673514141626&type=1&theater

peter

Edit: correction, there is an Amtrak logo. It's small and by the side window. I missed it in the smaller view FB gave me. Question still stands however.
See page 129 of the railroad dot net thread.

:S I'm not familiar with that site. The thread on it I did find didn't say anything about undecorated ACS-64s on (or around) page 129. There was some talk about which car takes the most drag on the HEP and something beyond me about power changes and with 'T something' device.

peter

Bottom of page 132 on that thread. Reportedly going to Beech Grove for a bit. Guess those guys can get an advanced look at what a Charger is going to kind-of sort-of look like. Maybe they'll give it a fancy wrap job or something while they're at it.

Bottom of page 132 on that thread. Reportedly going to Beech Grove for a bit. Guess those guys can get an advanced look at what a Charger is going to kind-of sort-of look like. Maybe they'll give it a fancy wrap job or something while they're at it.
An Electric in BEE??!! They won't know what to do! But, I'd be perfectly ok with it being put in some Phase III.

I am pretty sure it is getting the Veterans paint livery. Diesel 42 has it. This is 642. I don't think that is a coincidence.

Here is AMTK 642 on train #6(25) this morning at the depot in Ottumwa, Iowa this morning. The train was just under an hour late, but has lost some more time since then.

Here is AMTK 640 heading east on the California Zephyr through Iowa today. The train was running almost three hours late at this point.
Interesting how the ACS-64s appear to be delivered in batches. After a few weeks with nothing, then last week, #638 and #639 were shipped east. We'll see if there is gap before #641 shows up.

At what point do they have enough ACS-64s cleared for revenue service before the AEM-7 ACs locomotives start getting retired? With 28 AEM-7 ACs on the active roster, I think the start of retirement of the AC units is not that far off.
That's not that surprising really. Locomotives are not built on a conveyor belt like cars but there are a limited number of berths in the assembly shop, limited number of body jigs etc, and they can't start work on the next locomotive until they've moved a finished one out.

AMTK 643 has left the museum and is now going east on Amtrak #6(09). There's also private varnish The Patrón Tequila Express on the end of the train. This Zephyr was three and half hours late out of Ottumwa, Iowa.

Back