Actual arrival time for Seattle to Vancouver BC bus (8900)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bhaskar

Hello experienced travelers,

I am new to Amtrak traveling and trying to get some sense on what to expect as we travel to Vancouver BC from Seattle.

Our arrival time is stated as 5:15pm at Vancouver BC (the last leg of this journey is on Bus #8900)

Folks who has taken this route in the past - can they please share their experience on how often the bus arrive in time; or have you had experience arriving late? How late?

I am specifically interested in this specific route as the Hertz counter at the destination closes at 6pm.

So, a little late is ok… :)

Looking forward to get some first hand feedback!

Thanks in anticipation.

-Bhaskar (Portland, OR)

Apparently this bus is operated by Cantrail Coach Lines. They mainaly run Prevost H3-45 coaches. I've never ridden Cantrail before and I haven't ridden the H3-45 much either. The bus should use HOV lanes. Delays will be rare to nonexistent.

You don't have to get a Hertz rentral car the day you arrive, try transit in Vancouver. Goes lots of places and usually fun to ride.

It would depend on traffic and how busy the boarder crossing at Blaine is. Leaving at 145pm is right at the start of the afternoon traffic, also if train 500 from Portland is running late this bus will hold for that train to get in.

Thanks for the quick notes folks!

Our plan is to reach Squamish the same night we reach Vancouver BC - have hotels booked there. Alternate plan is, of course, to spend the night in Vancouver BC (as Swadian has suggested).

Hopng for the best :)

I don't think traffic in the Seattle area will be an issue. You'll be departing well before the worst of the PM rush hour. And I wouldn't

worry about them holding the bus for train 500 (and perhaps the OP is on that train anyhow), since there's an hour and a half

cushion there, and that's more than enough.

The only real wild card is the border crossing. You need to keep your fingers crossed that a) there's not a long line-up and

b) everyone else on your bus can be admitted into Canada with no issues.

That said, the bus won't wait forever if someone doesn't have kosher documents...at a certain point the bus just leaves and

the poor schlub has to catch the next bus. AND, there is plenty of padding built into this run. So I think MOST days you'd be

fine. It's just a matter of how comfortable you are with playing the odds. Frankly, this is a bit close for my comfort.

Border crossing will depend on the day of the week and whether it is a long weekend. If you are going the Friday before a long weekend, well, be prepared to wait. If you are going up a normal midweek day, yeah, there will likely be some delay at the border, but no big deal.

Why do you need a rental car to reach Squamish? Just ride Greyhound Canada, departs from Pacific Central Station and gets to Squamish just over a hour later. Costs $10. Not too expensive.

Then you can get a rental car the next day in Squamish.

All good pointers...

I'll let you all know what was our arrival time at Vancouver BC

Swadian: we are a team of 15 and getting appropriate vehicle is quite an ordeal. Public transport is also in our consideration - but will not give us enough flexibility. Wish us luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back