Add passengers to bedroom later?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldsmoboi

OBS Chief
I have to go to Chicago in Feb. I know I am going no question.

The question is, who and how many are going with me. The max is 2 additional people for this trip.

Can I easily add passengers to my bedroom later if I buy the bedroom tix for myself now (currently low bucket)

I would buy the ticket and list my wife and oldest child as fellow passengers.

No problem to change the names, if you don't print the tickets, no problem about refunds either.

Amtrak is GREAT

I have to go to Chicago in Feb. I know I am going no question.

The question is, who and how many are going with me. The max is 2 additional people for this trip.

Can I easily add passengers to my bedroom later if I buy the bedroom tix for myself now (currently low bucket)
Short Answer: Yes.

Longer Answer: Adding and removing additional passengers is easiest before printing. However, you will still need to call in the changes as the website cannot handle alterations like this last I checked. Once the tickets are printed you can perform the initial change by phone but you'll still need to visit a staffed station to exchange your tickets. Your fellow passengers will also need to pay railfare at the low bucket rate.

The last time I tried to do this (adding Tracktwentynine to my upcoming Cardinal dome loop), the agent was unable to add him to my reservation. She created a new reservation and linked them, indicating that he was occupying the other bed in my roomette. We'll see in a few weeks how successful that was.

The last time I tried to do this (adding Tracktwentynine to my upcoming Cardinal dome loop), the agent was unable to add him to my reservation. She created a new reservation and linked them, indicating that he was occupying the other bed in my roomette. We'll see in a few weeks how successful that was.
Interesting. I've done this several times now without problems. I travel to business with a colleague, and I just have him book his portion in coach and he tells me his reservation #. I then just call and he gets added to mine somehow. Hasn't been an issue.

Interesting. I've done this several times now without problems. I travel to business with a colleague, and I just have him book his portion in coach and he tells me his reservation #. I then just call and he gets added to mine somehow. Hasn't been an issue.
By doing it as you indicate, the other passenger may be paying a higher bucket price than he should Sleeper passengers pay low coach bucket.

I would buy the ticket and list my wife and oldest child as fellow passengers.

No problem to change the names, if you don't print the tickets, no problem about refunds either.

Amtrak is GREAT
Well the trouble is I don't know how many will be traveling with me. Could be just me, could be me and my partner, could me me and my friend, could be me and my partner and my friend.

When this has happened to me it worked out fine. In fact I've yet to have a problem with adding anyone, even on reservations that were altered shortly before departure. So long as you make it clear what you want to the reservation agent you should be fine.

It's called an open sleeper ticket and as long as the agent did things right, it should be successful. Note: His ticket won't indicate car & room number, it just says open sleeper. So you'll have to make sure that he knows what car & room number.

On the other hand, his name will appear on the car attendants manifest.

It worked fine for me. Their ticket just said "bedroom" or some such thing and when we showed it to the conductor, he knew what it meant.

It's called an open sleeper ticket and as long as the agent did things right, it should be successful. Note: His ticket won't indicate car & room number, it just says open sleeper. So you'll have to make sure that he knows what car & room number.

On the other hand, his name will appear on the car attendants manifest.
Sounds like the ticket that I had on the CS going to the Gathering. Jim H gave me a bunch of static about it but the Conductor had no problems with it.

I had a similar situation but mine was an AGR redemption (not sure if that matters). My original reservation was made for a roomette with just me listed as the traveler (not "the_traveler"). ;) My friend decided to join me so I called back several weeks later and the agent was unable to add my friend's name to the reservation. The agent had to cancel the entire reservation and rebook it...which made me nervous since it took 15+ minutes and I was afraid someone might snag that available roomette. Needless to say rebooking the entire reservation changed the sleeper room number (I was on an upper level Superliner and the new reservation put us down below). After some haggling with the agent I was able to get back my original room.

The lesson I learned: Book the original AGR redemption with two people on it...even if the second person might not travel with you. I believe you can *change* the name later on much easier than trying to *add* a person to the reservation. If you end up boarding the train with just one person be sure to notify the SCA so they know to update their manifest.

The answer, as many have noted, is to book a second reservation with open sleeper space, manually priced at the D-bucket rail fare and zero accommodation charge. This can't be done online, but must be done by an Amtrak agent. Then, the agent will write some remarks in there with your other reservation number, so that they are cross-referenced. Any phone or station agent should be able to do this all the way to departure time. The sleeper ticket entitles your companion to take meals in the diner and benefit from your paid accommodation charge.

Or, just have the second person added to the same reservation, if it's possible. If not, see above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back