Adding a second person to a Roomette Reservation?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abcnews

OBS Chief
If I book a one way trip online (with a roomette on one segment), can I later add a second rider by simply purchasing a coach class ticket?

I believe that you should call customer services and add a second person that way. One benefit is that rather than paying the current "bucket price" for the second rider, they will be charged only the lowest bucket price for the roomette section.

It may be possible to "invite" your second person with a coach ticket to share your roomette, but it would depend on the cooperation of the Amtrak staff, and may lead to complications over "included meals", etc.

I have seen a nearby roomette person "meet" a coach passenger, and they spent a lot of the time in the roomette getting to know each other, but I think they survived on alcohol, and did not visit the dinning car!

You could take a chance, but better to get the second person registered correctly.

Ed. :cool:

I believe that you should call customer services and add a second person that way. One benefit is that rather than paying the current "bucket price" for the second rider, they will be charged only the lowest bucket price for the roomette section.

It may be possible to "invite" your second person with a coach ticket to share your roomette, but it would depend on the cooperation of the Amtrak staff, and may lead to complications over "included meals", etc.

I have seen a nearby roomette person "meet" a coach passenger, and they spent a lot of the time in the roomette getting to know each other, but I think they survived on alcohol, and did not visit the dinning car!

You could take a chance, but better to get the second person registered correctly.

Ed. :cool:
Ed, you old dog you! How about sharing some of the details?

It may be possible to "invite" your second person with a coach ticket to share your roomette, but it would depend on the cooperation of the Amtrak staff, and may lead to complications over "included meals", etc. I have seen a nearby roomette person "meet" a coach passenger, and they spent a lot of the time in the roomette getting to know each other, but I think they survived on alcohol, and did not visit the dinning car! You could take a chance, but better to get the second person registered correctly.
Although secret rendezvouses via subterfuge are indeed possible it's a risky tactic in my view and I would recommend against it. If you know someone will be joining you prior to departure then I would suggest calling Amtrak and having the ticket(s) added or modified in the conventional manner ahead of time. Otherwise you could be putting the on-board staff on the spot and there is really no telling how they might interpret such behavior or what sort of corrective action they might deem is required. They might say nothing or they might make a huge trip-altering stink about it. Better safe than sorry in this case.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought a coach ticketed passenger wasn't allowed in the sleepers at all. If a sleeper person wanted to socialize with a coach person, they would need to do such in like the café or lounge car.

What about with an AGR rez? I've actually been dreaming about the same question. I made a booking under the old rules for March, JXN-LAX in a roomette. Since we're now under the new kingdom, can I add someone for free (at least in the roomette portion) or do the new rules calculate roomette points based on two coach tickets plus accommodation charge?

I did this two years ago. Met a friend partway on a trip to Florida.

I don't know how it would work today, but it was a pretty straight forward process, she had to call in and give them my reservation number.

I would recommend that you have the second person purchase an "open sleeper" ticket and then ask customer service to link it with your reservation.

It's just a family trip in August and we don't have the final head count. I booked roomettes for everyone under the old AGR rules on Saturday (1/23/16), and I planned to buy my ticket today online. But there is a chance another family member may come along - we will not know for a few months. So I guess I'll book my trip, and call in to add another passenger if that indeed becomes the case.

So I could add another family member to my reservation/purchased ticket?

Actually I tried that before posting this question here. I decided not hold on the line for a representative - due to their recorded greeting.... "Very busy call volume as a result of the winter storm, and unless you are calling for travel in the next 48 hours, to please call back at another time"...

I thought a coach ticketed passenger wasn't allowed in the sleepers at all. If a sleeper person wanted to socialize with a coach person, they would need to do such in like the café or lounge car.
With, as always, a few exceptions. When, several years ago,

we reserved the last roomette for my wife and two toddlers, I got one of the few coach seats left on the train.

The SCA confronted me at the door to the sleeper, but when I explained, I was allowed to visit for a short time.

I would recommend that you have the second person purchase an "open sleeper" ticket and then ask customer service to link it with your reservation.
From all I've heard, that's the way to go and the key word "open sleeper"

Ask the agent how it works, maybe some agents don't know -- so ask again :)

The occasional meetings were part of the joy of the ride- that is before She Who Must Be Obeyed came on board and changed the basic rules. To avoid any need to call the lawyers, the details will be in my posthumous memoirs. But back then the staff just used to wink and laugh,,, not sure that applies anymore,,,,,,,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back