Adding someone to a sleeper reservation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Peter Bailey

Hi everyone,

I'm making my first trip on Amtrak next April and wonder if anyone has had experience adding another passenger on to a sleeper reservation?

I booked a bedroom for myself on trains #6 and #48 ages ago and now a friend has decided to come along too - I rang Amtrak to add him in so that we share the bedrooms, but the lady suggested that it is impossible to add another person to a reservation, and that I would have to make a totally new reservation and cancel the old one. This means I have to pay to re-reserve the bedrooms at a higher price bucket ($300 extra, on top of the basic fare for my friend). Does anyone know if this is correct?

Sorry if I'm repeating another thread - the only one I could find (here - http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?showtopic=8637 ) seems to imply that you can add people without changing price buckets, and so I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks for your help,

Peter

Oxford, UK

Peter,

I believe that you can add another person to your reservation; you will have to pay for their coach seat fare. The fare now may be higher than the fare you paid when you made the original reservation.

I would call Amtrak again, you will probably get a different answer; hopefully more to your liking.

Have a great trip.

Mike

Hi everyone,
I'm making my first trip on Amtrak next April and wonder if anyone has had experience adding another passenger on to a sleeper reservation?

I booked a bedroom for myself on trains #6 and #48 ages ago and now a friend has decided to come along too - I rang Amtrak to add him in so that we share the bedrooms, but the lady suggested that it is impossible to add another person to a reservation, and that I would have to make a totally new reservation and cancel the old one. This means I have to pay to re-reserve the bedrooms at a higher price bucket ($300 extra, on top of the basic fare for my friend). Does anyone know if this is correct?

Sorry if I'm repeating another thread - the only one I could find (here - http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?showtopic=8637 ) seems to imply that you can add people without changing price buckets, and so I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks for your help,

Peter

Oxford, UK
Peter, I think your best bet is to make a separate coach reservation for your friend and ask Amtrak to "Cross-Reference" the two reservations so that the crew on the train knows that your friend is staying in the room with you and, as such, gets free dining car meals. As Mike mentioned, your friend's coach fare will, in all likelihood, be higher than yours, but that's probably going to be the price you'll have to pay to get the two people in the room after the initial reservation was made.

-Rafi

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your help,

Peter

Oxford, UK
Peter, I think your best bet is to make a separate coach reservation for your friend and ask Amtrak to "Cross-Reference" the two reservations so that the crew on the train knows that your friend is staying in the room with you and, as such, gets free dining car meals. As Mike mentioned, your friend's coach fare will, in all likelihood, be higher than yours, but that's probably going to be the price you'll have to pay to get the two people in the room after the initial reservation was made.

-Rafi
Hi Rafi and Peter,

Unfortunately, Amtrak has changed the policy on that, as of mid-November. Now only passengers who are holding Sleeping Car tickets can get their meals covered. Coach passengers who join you in your sleeper still have to pay for their meal. It's a bummer, but I can see where they're coming from. I was hoping to do the same thing wih my college-age son for a trip this coming summer...book him in coach and then bring him up to the Bedroom. They told me he can sleep there, but he won't get meals. :-(

Hi Rafi and Peter,
Unfortunately, Amtrak has changed the policy on that, as of mid-November. Now only passengers who are holding Sleeping Car tickets can get their meals covered. Coach passengers who join you in your sleeper still have to pay for their meal. It's a bummer, but I can see where they're coming from. I was hoping to do the same thing wih my college-age son for a trip this coming summer...book him in coach and then bring him up to the Bedroom. They told me he can sleep there, but he won't get meals. :-(
Jim,

I'm not suggesting that you didn't get told what you've reported, but no I can't see where their coming from. Yes, Amtrak does have some ludicrous policies and rules, so it is possible that you were given the correct info. But again, it makes no sense.

Here's why. If you had booked both of you into the room at the time of the reservation, both meals would have been included hands down, no questions asked. Again assuming that you booked both at the same time, you both would have paid the lowest coach fare for that run, regardless of what price was actually being charged currently for those just buying a coach ticket.

So now, here you come with you son who was booked later than the sleeper reservation and therefore probably paid a higher bucket price for his coach seat and wish to bring him into the sleeper. Amtrak has collected more money from your family than they would have if you had booked both tickets at the same time. So how can it make sense that a room that costs the same no matter how many people you put into the room and would have included two meals no matter what, now no longer offers you the second free meal even though your son paid more money than he would have if you had booked things together?

I wish that Amtrak would get some common customer service sense. This reminds me of the rule in Diner Lite where a sleeper passenger cannot get an appetizer free, even if he wants an appetizer as his entree'. That makes no sense, a plate of spring rolls doesn't cost amtrak nearly as much as a steak with potatoes (or whatever you can order on that menu) yet because it's the "rule" you can't do it.

No Sense = Amtrak (most of the time)

I would agree with the AMTRAK policy. Sure, it might give this father & son a problem, but what if you meet a nice person aboard and want to impress this person with a dinner and sleeper. Think that would fly?

To counter this, call AMTRAK before departure and book that second person. The sleeper rate should not change.

To counter this, call AMTRAK before departure and book that second person. The sleeper rate should not change.
Just to follow up here...

I spoke with NARP about this this morning and they confirmed that the policy has, indeed, changed and while the cross referencing can still be made and the coach passenger can sleep in the compartment, the Dining Car crew will not honor the complimentary meal. The reason Amtrak gave NARP was that the coach-in-sleeper policy was being abused by some sleeper folks (and was also observed by a number of NARP board members) meeting someone from coach in the lounge and offering them dinner for free (usually singles flirting—that sort of thing), telling the Dining Crew, "They're with me, so they don't have to pay," when in reality, they had only met just an hour ago on board. The Dining Crews were complaining that they either didn't readily have access to the train manifest to see the valid cross references or that they didn't have time to go and research every case that came in (especially on the LSL with its crowded Diner-Lounge), and so management decided to change the policy.

Now, the workaround that Amtrak suggests is to do what daveyb99 mentions: before departure, call Amtrak and have them change the person count on the reservation's PNR in ARROW. There is apparently no reason that the reservation agent can't go in and simply change the passenger count and add the new passengers to the reservation without affecting the bucket price for the room. If the agent says that they have to re-ticket the entire reservation, and consequently charge a higher bucket, then they're probably not aware of how to change the passenger count and you're best to either call back or just ask for a supervisor.

I've found two flies in the ointment with this new approach, however:

1). I often travel for business in sleeper and my company pays with my corporate card. I often want to bring my wife along, but she can't be on the same itinerary and show up on the receipt my company gets (and they automatically pay the corporate card bill, so they'd end up paying for her too, which won't go over well). So my method historically has been to book her separately and pay for her rail fare (even though it's higher than mine) and cross-reference the two reservations so that she can sleep in the room and get meals. This scenario is now not a possibility.

2). Take the above example where I travel for business and want to bring my wife along, but in this case, I want to use an AGR coach redemption for her portion of the ticket. Because AGR redemptions have to be on their own reservation itineraries, this scenario is also now out of the question if my wife wants to eat as a sleeper passenger.

NARP (and apparently Amtrak) hadn't thought about either of these scenarios, and NARP's looking into it.

Just FYI.

Rafi

Now, the workaround that Amtrak suggests is to do what daveyb99 mentions: before departure, call Amtrak and have them change the person count on the reservation's PNR in ARROW. There is apparently no reason that the reservation agent can't go in and simply change the passenger count and add the new passengers to the reservation without affecting the bucket price for the room. If the agent says that they have to re-ticket the entire reservation, and consequently charge a higher bucket, then they're probably not aware of how to change the passenger count and you're best to either call back or just ask for a supervisor.
I've found two flies in the ointment with this new approach, however:

1). I often travel for business in sleeper and my company pays with my corporate card. I often want to bring my wife along, but she can't be on the same itinerary and show up on the receipt my company gets (and they automatically pay the corporate card bill, so they'd end up paying for her too, which won't go over well). So my method historically has been to book her separately and pay for her rail fare (even though it's higher than mine) and cross-reference the two reservations so that she can sleep in the room and get meals. This scenario is now not a possibility.
Just asking for clarification: "call Amtrak and have them change the person count on the reservation's PNR in ARROW" equals "book her separately and pay for her rail fare and cross-reference the two reservations", but the specific fly in the ointment is that this means the payment for her rail fare ceases to be a separate receipt (billed to your personal card) and becomes part of your receipt (billed to your company's card)? So in Peter's case (where it sounds like there's no corporate card involved, and hence no corporate auditor with whom the "why is your wife traveling on the company tab?" question comes into play) he can do exactly what he wants--he has to pay a higher bucket coach fare for his friend (which is still a little absurd), but his friend can officially become a sleeping car passenger and get free meals without question; Peter will have to pay the friend's fare up front (to Amtrak), but the friend can reimburse Peter (or whatever, they get to work this out themselves)?

I'm glad NARP is looking into the specific issues you cite; I hope sensible policies result.

And I dearly hope that Amtrak is calling this "no meeting people in the lounge and giving them free meals" policy the Cary Grant rule :lol: (as a North By Northwest reference, of course)

In late October I traveled coach and upgraded to sleeper in route. I asked another passenger if she wanted to come into the sleeper with me as she had an injured hip. The coach was crowded (and the uniforms said they would need every seat later on) so we freed up 2 seats there. She was going a further distance than I was (and got on 8 hours before I did), but the upgrade price was the same. I paid for the entire upgrade, getting off probably 6 hours sooner. The AC (very professional Amtrak employee, might I add) got us both out of coach and into the sleeper. The upgrade was on my reservation number but he noted some information from her ticket.

Under the rule changes, do you think this would be prohibited?

The upgrade didn't appear on my AGR, last time I looked. It should get there eventually, right?

Perhaps they should stamp your hand if you're allowed free diner privileges.... like they do in an amusement park.

Just asking for clarification: "call Amtrak and have them change the person count on the reservation's PNR in ARROW" equals "book her separately and pay for her rail fare and cross-reference the two reservations", but the specific fly in the ointment is that this means the payment for her rail fare ceases to be a separate receipt (billed to your personal card) and becomes part of your receipt (billed to your company's card)? So in Peter's case (where it sounds like there's no corporate card involved, and hence no corporate auditor with whom the "why is your wife traveling on the company tab?" question comes into play) he can do exactly what he wants--he has to pay a higher bucket coach fare for his friend (which is still a little absurd), but his friend can officially become a sleeping car passenger and get free meals without question; Peter will have to pay the friend's fare up front (to Amtrak), but the friend can reimburse Peter (or whatever, they get to work this out themselves)?
No, changing the PNR in ARROW means that Peter can have the Amtrak agent directly add his friend to Peter's reservation. No seperate reservation is needed, no cross reference is needed. It also means that under the rules pertaining to sleeping car pax, that Peter's friend will get the low bucket rail fare rate. They will have to pay Peter for that amount, assuming that Peter wants them to pay. For that matter Peter can also ask them to split the cost of the room if he wants to do so.

In late October I traveled coach and upgraded to sleeper in route. I asked another passenger if she wanted to come into the sleeper with me as she had an injured hip. The coach was crowded (and the uniforms said they would need every seat later on) so we freed up 2 seats there. She was going a further distance than I was (and got on 8 hours before I did), but the upgrade price was the same. I paid for the entire upgrade, getting off probably 6 hours sooner. The AC (very professional Amtrak employee, might I add) got us both out of coach and into the sleeper. The upgrade was on my reservation number but he noted some information from her ticket.
Under the rule changes, do you think this would be prohibited?
It's hard to say what might happen in this case, despite the fact that the entire rule makes no sense. But probably you would no be affected by this rule, since you are both making the upgrade together at the same time into the same room.

The upgrade didn't appear on my AGR, last time I looked. It should get there eventually, right?
If the points for your coach seat have already posted to your account, then no the upgrade will probably not show up automatically. If the coach points haven't shown up yet, then yes you have some hope that the system will catch the upgrade.

Rafi,

Thanks for looking into this matter. :)

I spoke with NARP about this this morning and they confirmed that the policy has, indeed, changed and while the cross referencing can still be made and the coach passenger can sleep in the compartment, the Dining Car crew will not honor the complimentary meal. The reason Amtrak gave NARP was that the coach-in-sleeper policy was being abused by some sleeper folks (and was also observed by a number of NARP board members) meeting someone from coach in the lounge and offering them dinner for free (usually singles flirting—that sort of thing), telling the Dining Crew, "They're with me, so they don't have to pay," when in reality, they had only met just an hour ago on board. The Dining Crews were complaining that they either didn't readily have access to the train manifest to see the valid cross references or that they didn't have time to go and research every case that came in (especially on the LSL with its crowded Diner-Lounge), and so management decided to change the policy.
While such a practice may be a bit underhanded, I'm sorry to say that Amtrak should not be enforcing this rule and technically has no right to make such a rule. Amtrak is the one who set the policy that caused this "problem", if you want to call it a problem and I don’t.

But that doesn't change the fact that when one books a roomette that one's fare includes two meals in the dining car for each meal period that the dining car is open and serving. It shouldn't matter to Amtrak who gets those two meals, be it husband and wife, boy friend/girl friend, me & my mom, or me and a complete stranger. The meals have been paid for!

If Amtrak wants to start offering a discount on the roomette when a single person travels in a roomette, then fine I can understand such a policy. But they don't do that. Again, the meals have been paid for. It shouldn't matter to Amtrak who gets that meal as they've got their money for it.

And the silliest part of all of this is the fact that in all of my travels on Amtrak, I think that only once have I ever been asked for proof that I’m in a sleeping car. The crew can ask to see my ticket stub, but they never do. So making a rule about bringing coach pax into the diner while pretending that they are in a sleeper, when no one bothers to even check in the first place that I’m a sleeper pax is stupid. Sorry, but there is no other word for it.

Now if indeed Amtrak can just add a second person to the reservation without re-pricing it that certainly makes life easier for those who do want to bring along a friend or a relative who wasn't originally planning to travel, and it takes the sting out of the above stupid rule. However Amtrak's policy always seems to be that any changes results in the higher fare. For example I recently wanted to upgrade from Business Class on an Acela to First Class, but I was unable to do that without loosing my $102 seat for a $146 seat. And that was in addition to the 66 bucks for the FC seat.

Makes no sense, I'm paying more for a FC seat in the first place, Amtrak will now be able to sell my BC seat at the $146 rate, but no they want to may me pay more for my seat too. Amtrak policy seem to be let's milk the passenger who wants to get better service from us.

I've found two flies in the ointment with this new approach, however:1). I often travel for business in sleeper and my company pays with my corporate card. I often want to bring my wife along, but she can't be on the same itinerary and show up on the receipt my company gets (and they automatically pay the corporate card bill, so they'd end up paying for her too, which won't go over well). So my method historically has been to book her separately and pay for her rail fare (even though it's higher than mine) and cross-reference the two reservations so that she can sleep in the room and get meals. This scenario is now not a possibility.

2). Take the above example where I travel for business and want to bring my wife along, but in this case, I want to use an AGR coach redemption for her portion of the ticket. Because AGR redemptions have to be on their own reservation itineraries, this scenario is also now out of the question if my wife wants to eat as a sleeper passenger.

NARP (and apparently Amtrak) hadn't thought about either of these scenarios, and NARP's looking into it.

Just FYI.

Rafi
Does your company not have a way that you can reemburse them for your wife's travel? Many companies do that, as they understand that people do sometimes like to bring their spouse along. If not, I'd try taking that idea up the corporate ladder.

That said, I can understand and appreciate the problem. However perhaps what you can do is to make a seperate reservation for your wife, then get the agent to merge the two reservations. That way the extra charge won't go to the travel agent.

As for your second scenario, I'm not sure that's a scenario that should really be allowed in the first place. When using reward points you are supposed to have enough points to do whatever it is that you want to do. Or in other words, you aren't supposed to be combining points and cash together.

Thanks so much Mike, Rafi, Jim, AlanB, Daveyb and Wayman for your advice.

I've just called Amtrak again and spoke to a different person - she gave me the choice of either booking a separate reservation for my friend and linking the bookings so he joined me in the sleepers, or adding him to my reservation (which would involve refunding my credit card and re-charging it with the new total, but not losing the original price buckets).

I told her I also wanted to upgrade from a roomette to a bedroom on the #48 leg, so she took the latter option, but she was still able to keep the orignal price bucket of the #6 leg (which is what would have cost lots to lose). Very good result.

It seems like the reservation system is quite complicated and different operators have different ways of doing the same thing - I guess I'd advise anyone who meets the same situation to follow Mike's advice and call again and try another person.

Thanks again for your help - can't wait till next April to see what it's all like for myself.

Peter

It seems like the reservation system is quite complicated and different operators have different ways of doing the same thing - I guess I'd advise anyone who meets the same situation to follow Mike's advice and call again and try another person.

You've got that right!

A friend of mine called to make a reservation and didn't like an answer he got about an aspect of that reservation. So, he hung up, called back immediately, spoke to another agent (how many of them are there I wonder) and received the answer he thought he was supposed to get.

Speaking to Amtrak agents can be a crap shoot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back