Adirondack boarding in Montreal, supper in Schenectady

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ispolkom

Engineer
Next month Mrs. Ispolkom and I will be traveling from Montreal to Chicago on the Adirondack and Lake Shore Limited.

1. I imagine that the Adirondack is busy this time of year. Any advice on how early to arrive at Gare Centrale to make it likely to get a pair of seats on the left side? Is there any way to circumvent the line, as one can do at some US stations using redcaps?

2. This leg is part of a longer trip, so we'll have a lot of luggage (a suitcase, two carry-on bags). I've never actually traveled on an Amfleet II. What's the carry-on luggage area like?

3. If I bring a Montreal smoked meat sandwich on the Adirondack, I guess I'd better finish eating it before we reach the US border, right?

4. We transfer to the Lake Shore Limited in Schenectady. The LSL is scheduled to arrive at 7:32 p.m. Is the dining car on the Lake Shore Limited still operating at that hour? If not (or in case the LSL is late) does anyone have any recommendations for dining near the station? Tara Kitchen seems intriguing, as we'll have at least 5 other suppers in Amtrak dining cars on this trip, and a Moroccan tangine would be a good change from the Amsteak.

2) Most people use the space above the seat for there luggage. There is a small area you can place your luggage, however small is the key phrase, also since your crossing a boarder best to keep your stuff with you.

3) Eat the sandwich, or just don't keep it where it can be seen.

4) Lake Shore Limited will be serving dinner past Utica, so you can eat aboard. If your on time there is a whole range of place to eat around the station in Schenectady. If something grabs your taste buds go for it. Do not miss your train.

The LSL should be serving dinner when you get on board, but at this point I wouldn't rely on the dining car service, since Amtrak has been trashing it mercilessly in an apparent attempt to increase dining car losses, and I've seen even worse behavior from individual crews.

If you arrive early enough to get a quick meal at a restaurant near the station, do so. If the Adirondack is late, you'll have to rely on the LSL, unfortunately.

There are Red Caps in the Montreal Station, good idea! I'd arrive at least an hour before since you have to check in. ( the Adirondack is an Amtrak train but VIA and Amtrak staff handle the check in)

Hopefully ya'll will be in an Amfleet II ( seats on the Left side for the Lake view is best as you said)and not one of the less desireable Is that are also used on this Route ( no biz class)

When you reach the border there can be long delays, the American border Agents here arent known for their friendliness or speed!

The Cafe Car has the standard Amtrak fast food and drinks on offer so enjoying a nice Breakfast before leaving Montreal ( I'd skip the McDonalds in the Station!) and taking something good aboard is an excellent idea!( as you probably know, Montreal has excellent food)

As was said, Google up the places in Schenectady and whatever takes your fancy is OK long as y'all have time, both trains usually run late!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at the US Customs website, it appears that some of the personal food rules coming in from Canada have been relaxed, but as an earlier poster indicated, the US Border folks are not known to be either speedy or friendly, being technically correct and pointing it out would not be a good idea. Finish the sandwich, it's not worth the potential aggravation.

The Cafe Car has the standard Amtrak fast food and drinks on offer so enjoying a nice Breakfast before leaving Montreal ( I'd skip the McDonalds in the Station!) and taking something good aboard is an excellent idea!( as you probably know, Montreal has excellent food)
Why would anyone even think of McDonalds at Montreal Central where there are at least two very nice breakfast places right on the concourse, much closer to the boarding gates than McDonalds? You can get a very good hot breakfast before boarding right there by the boarding gates.

Why would anyone even think of McDonalds at Montreal Central where there are at least two very nice breakfast places right on the concourse, much closer to the boarding gates than McDonalds? You can get a very good hot breakfast before boarding right there by the boarding gates.
Were in total agreement on this as I said in my Post, just didnt include the much better choices in the Station my Globe trotting friend!

Since your an intermediate traveler don't get your hopes up on an Amfleet Il, usually the 2 Amfleet II cars are reserved for through NYP-MTL riders with the 2 Amfleet Is for intermediate passengers. This is because so many of the stations have short platforms so they only can open one set of doors, and Will between the the two Amfleet I cars normally. The upside is your car should be less crowded and probably won't fill up until you get off. There's lots of people who just ride between ALB and NYP.

Luggage can also be left in an area near the doors and first row of seats.

Last year, I made this trip. Arrived at Gare Central maybe 15-20 minutes before departure, grabbed a sandwich from one of the vendors in the station, while others lined up to board, scuttled to the escalator where my ticket was checked, down to the platform, and scored a lake side seat without trouble. The schedule last year got me into Schenectady earlier (even with the train running late) so I had time for a little walking tour of the area and dinner at an Italian restaurant. Couldn't eat it all, so got a doggie bag and finished the rest later on the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back