Adirondack discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trains newswire had a post about another RR got OHIO funds of $1.23M to rehab 14 miles of track for a total RR cost of $2.4M to FRA class 2. Now 47 Adirondack miles can we WAG a guess that total costs would be around ~~ $8.0M ? Now if CN kicks in same percentage then the anonymous funds might be ~~ $4.0 M ??

All the reporting seems to be pretty fuzzy about the source of funds. Most simply say "CN and Amtrak came to an agreement". CN doubtless is receiving funds to do the work. No one seems to want to mention the funds, nor where they came from. NYS passed discretely through Amtrak somehow within its operational subsidy? Some kind of Amtrak slush fund or more creative Amtrak accounting without NYS participation? Certainly no one is crowing about how "we made it possible" other than Schumer and Stafanik, apparently through sheer force of their personalities.

I may be being petty, but in order to get a second Vancouver train, my Washington state tax dollars had to be spent in British Columbia for rail infrastructure, a new CTC siding at Colebrook. It was above board and clear, as was the fact that neither Amtrak nor BC kicked in. I think would resent if federal Amtrak subsidy dollars were spent for this rather than the work being on New York's dime. Add in the fact that the Cascades is a far more viable and popular service than the Adirondack could ever hope to be.
Point well take. A noon departure would help from Vancouver and Seattle too. Great Northern had 3 trips each way until about 1959 I believe.

Back