Adirondack pre-clearance or customs?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sbburkett

Train Attendant
My wife and I will be taking the Adirondack from NYC-Montreal (round trip) in a little over a week.

I'm aware of the 1-2 hour stop at the border crossing each way for the passport check, but is there anything special I need to do at the station before we board?

I thought I read something about special tags needed for baggage or some kind of pre-clearance that will happen.

-Will that happen at NYP when I depart AND at MTR when I return?

-How will I know where to go for the special tags and/or pre-clearance process?

This will be my first time going out of the country and I certainly don't want to miss being able to get on the train last minute because we forgot or didn't know where to go to get pre-cleared or get tags for our luggage.

Thanks for any input on this!

Not sure about Montreal, but in NYP they set up a desk for pre-check in of Maple Leaf or Adirondack passengers who will be crossing the border. Make sure you have the appropriate ID (info on Amtrak website) for the border crossing. They will give the special luggage tags for your bags (no checked bags) to you at that desk. Allow extra time.

Wonderful trip!

In addition to the special luggage tags @ the check in @ NYP, you may want to use a Redcap to board the train so you can beat the rush to board and get good seats. ( the best views are on the Left side of the train up the Hudson to Albany and the Rightr side along Lake Champlain)

This train has Amfleet I and Amfleet II( much more comfortable) cars in the consist so be sure and ask the Conductor or agent checking you in ( no Car Attendants on this train, only a Cafe LSA) if you can sit in an Amfleet II, lots of Montreal passengers are assigned seats in the less desirable Is for the all day trip!

Expect delays during Customs and Immigration checks, ( done on the train)especially on the way back by the less than friendly American Agents.

Last edited by a moderator:
May I just reemphasize (sp) the fact of allowing enough time for the check in at NYP and MTR. The line tends to move slowly as all passports are checked and names are checked off on the border manifest...

Could someone please clarify exactly where the desk/check-in is for the Adirondack within Penn Station?

I'd like to know exactly where in the station this would occur...do they set this up right where the gate is for the Adirondack or would I need to go to a certain area of the station?

I've only been in Penn Station once ten years ago and didn't find it the easiest to navigate and would like to have an idea of where I need to go ahead of time :)

Thanks.

The 2 cross border trains, the Maple Leaf to Toronto, and the Adirondack to Montreal leave at 7:15A and 8:15A respectively. Because they go up the West Side, they can only be on tracks 5-9. The gates for those tracks are at the side of concourse just past the Police Desk, last time I was in the station that early, I believe the desk was set up near the police desk, but of course that could have changed.

If you are facing towards the ticket windows with the Amtrak waiting room behind you in Amtrak's pit of mass chaos on the 8th Ave side (is there a name for that area?), the desk will be off to your left. It is not set up at the gate. It is a portable desk, not a permanent feature and has a fairly prominent sign.

There isn't an equivalent set up at Montreal, you just line up to board.

OK, thank you for those answers. I've been looking at maps of Penn Station and feel I'm prepared this time around :)

The 2 cross border trains, the Maple Leaf to Toronto, and the Adirondack to Montreal leave at 7:15A and 8:15A respectively. Because they go up the West Side, they can only be on tracks 5-9. The gates for those tracks are at the side of concourse just past the Police Desk, last time I was in the station that early, I believe the desk was set up near the police desk, but of course that could have changed.
The exact location of the desk changes depending on their mood for the day. But it will always be in the vicinity of the Police Desk. So if you just go to the Polic Desk and look around, you will see it. It is hard to miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back