Adirondack - Vermonter loop

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

Exvalley

OBS Chief
AU Supporter
I have some unfortunate news for anyone hoping to do the Adirondack - Vermonter loop trip this summer.

The ferry between Port Kent and Burlington will not run this season.

I suppose the only way to do the loop now is with an Uber between Plattsburgh and St. Albans or Burlington. And the odds of the driver getting a fare back from Vermont to Plattsburgh are pretty slim.

Last edited:

Maverickstation

Lead Service Attendant
Has the New York DOT and Amtrak even announced a return date for the full Adirondack route ?

At present the train is not operating north of Albany, and like The Vermonter it's operation is funded by the NY DOT.

Ken

IndyLions

OBS Chief
Looks like even a bicycle isn't an option. From what I can tell, the Adirondack is not Bicycle friendly (although the Vermonter is)

Bob Dylan

Conductor
Has the New York DOT and Amtrak even announced a return date for the full Adirondack route ?

At present the train is not operating north of Albany, and like The Vermonter it's operation is funded by the NY DOT.

Ken
They cant until Canada lifts its Border Restrictions, which mostly likely wont happen till 2022.😥

Bob Dylan

Conductor
I think that comment applies to both the US and Canada, since I don;t think either of them will be unilaterally ready to lift any restrictions.
Of course, typical American arrogance on my part to only think of ourselves!

PVD

Conductor
AU Supporter
At the speed things are moving supply wise in the US, especially if J&J comes back on line, hopefully, it may not be long before surplus doses head North. The population of Canada is about 1/9 that of the US, what we might see as a relatively small contribution could be extraordinarily valuable...