Adirondack

• Thread starter Guest_shanghaiamtrak
  • Start date
Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest_shanghaiamtrak

Anybody here ride the Adirondack (montreal to new york) or Crescent (DC to Atlanta) lately? I am thinking of taking those trains soon. Just wondering if they have been experiencing any delays, what the equipment situation is, and what scenery to look for. Thanks

Both the adirondak and crescent run with single level equipment. In preticular the adirondak runs with Amfleet 1 cooaches and a dineete car (also amfleet 1). These coaches are short haul and dont feature leg rests like amfleet 2. The adirondak is supposed to be one of Amtraks most scenic routes on the east coast.

The crescent has Viewliner sleepers(2) a dining car, lounge car, and amfleet 2 coaches.

There is not going to be a whole lot to see on the Crescent from DC to Atlanta. You traverse both North and South Carolina entirely at night, along with a chunk of Georgia and Virginia.

It should be daylight both leaving and returning DC and Atlanta. Between Lynchburg and DC is quite pretty and you will see it on your return, provided the train is on-time.

The North Carolina portion is quite industrial, mostly shuttered textile mills. You roll right through the middle of Greensboro and Charlotte, and will have a excellent view of each city's downtown. In a year or two, the wonderful Greensboro Southern Railway Depot will reopen after a long restoration. It will be quite nice - much better than the current facility in the freight yard.

There is about a half-hour scheduled stop in Charlotte, but the station is in the middle of the Norfolk Southern freight yard a couple of miles from downtown. The train rolls directly beside Bank of American stadium and Charlotte-Douglas International Airport.

I found the Crescent to be an excellent train. My dining car experience was excellent and the overall service was very good.

The Crescent is usually on time. I was on it once southbound when it arrived Atlanta 24 minutes early.

Among of the scenic highlights are the government monuments and buildings in DC.. You see them on the right hand side of the train(going south) just as you leave the tunnel you get a brief glimpse the Capitol on the right. A few minutes later the terrain opens on the right on the Mall, with the Washington, Lincolln, Jefferson etc memorials in full view.

The one time I rode the Adirondack (January 2003), it had ex-Metroliner Service coaches (Amfleet Is with 60 seats) and a Metroliner Dinette car (tables on both sides of food service counter).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back