Advantages of a Lower Level Sleeper

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

denmarks

Train Travel Enthusiast
Last month I completed a trip from Sacramento to New Orleans via Chicago. I had the same lower level sleeper on all trains. I was concerned when making reservations that I was given a lower level room but now that I look back I can see all the advantages.

1. Less traffic up and down the isle.

2. Three bathrooms nearby rather than one.

3. Shower right down the hall.

4. Suitcases stored a few feet from the room.

5. Easier to get on and off train at stops.

6. There was no loud truck noise (train wheels). Not really an advantage but a concern.

7. Less swaying.

7. Less swaying.
I can understand why upper levels would sense more sway, but is it that much greater compared to the lower level? Not enough upstairs to get "sea sick" is there?

Thanks!!!

It depends on what I'm in mood for. I like sitting down low becuase you get alot better sence of speed. 79 mph seems like your just flying vs. when your on the upper level. However I do like to be able to see the sights from up high too. It is less crowded down there and you can step off easier.

Chris

MrFSS said:
7. Less swaying.
I can understand why upper levels would sense more sway, but is it that much greater compared to the lower level? Not enough upstairs to get "sea sick" is there?

Thanks!!!
There's not a huge difference in the amount of sway, but it is more noticable on the upper level. And if you are sensative to that, then you'll really notice the difference.

I am riding in a family bedroom on 53 and 52 in 2 weeks, how small are the smaller beds in the room?

capltd29 said:
I am riding in a family bedroom on 53 and 52 in 2 weeks, how small are the smaller beds in the room?
They are 4' 9" long and 2 feet wide.

You can see a diagram of the beds & room on Amtrak's site by clicking here. You can take a virtual tour by clicking here.

Is there any difference in window size between the rooms on the lover level vs. those on the upper? Or does this only pertain to the handicap room?

The windows in the accessible and family rooms are smaller than those in the standard and deluxe rooms. The standard rooms on the lower level have the same windows as those on the upper.

spot1181 said:
But there are windows on both sides in the family and handicapped rooms. Spot.
Correct, every room on a Superliner train has two windows. The only difference is that in the Deluxe & Standard rooms, the two windows are side by side with only a thin frame seperating the two windows.

In the family room & the handicapped room, there is one window on each side of the room, such that you can see out both sides of the train.

I am booked for this Thursday from Kansas City to California with a Standard Sleeper. How can I tell from my tickets whether my sleeper is upstairs or downstairs? My ticket says 02/0430 going out to CA and coming back it says 06/0330.

Help??

CQ

Christi said:
I am booked for this Thursday from Kansas City to California with a Standard Sleeper. How can I tell from my tickets whether my sleeper is upstairs or downstairs? My ticket says 02/0430 going out to CA and coming back it says 06/0330.
Help??

CQ
Christi,

The first group of two digits indicate the room number, while the second group indicated the assigned car number. The car number is not the one you will see painted on the sides of the car, but is instead a number that appears in a small window right next to the door of each car.

As for your rooms, which are #2 & #6, both are located on the upper level of the car. If you would like a better idea of just how the car looks and where things are, then check out this page from Friends of Amtrak, which gives you the layouts of all of Amtrak's sleeping cars. Note, you are traveling in a Superliner sleeper.

Alan,

Thanks for that great info. The picture on that website really helped me alot!! Although I am a bit bummed that we are not on the lower level, I'm atleast relieved that we arent the first sleeper next to the dining door that constantly opens and closes and PLUS, the #2 sleeper is right next to the free coffee and juices they put out!! Yeah!!!

Christi Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back