Advice? Maple Leaf or Empire to Niagra?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For a multi generation family trip - we're planning to go from CRT to Niagra Falls. None of us have ever seen the falls. And we'd like to spend the train time together, gabbing and looking at the sites.

Few Qs/advice from anybody.

Which train is better Maple or Empire?

How can I find out which has observation/loung/snack car so we can hang out?

Hows the logistics getting from station to hotels.

hmmm, and hotels any recomends? We don't need any heart shaped beds - but we're not picky about kitch either.

thnx travelers!

Well first I think that you need to decide where you want to end up, be it on the American side or the Canadian side. If the later, then your only choice is the Maple Leaf. The Empire service trains don't cross the international border.

I will also mention that there is only 1 bus route that serves the NY Niagara Falls Amtrak station. A bus that doesn't exactly have frequent service, and it does not run at all on a Sunday.

As for the two trains themselves, you'll see little difference between them. Each will have several coaches, 1 business class/cafe car. There will be no dining car on either train. The one difference will be that the Maple Leaf will have coaches that are more comfortable for long distance travel, by comparison to the Empire Service trains.

I travel almost once a month to see the girl friend in Buffalo for over 15 years and have been told to stay away from the Tornoto train since it late most of the time I can not explain why from NYC to Buffalo but coming back it can get stuck at the boarder for one reason or another

When you're headed east out of Niagra Falls, if you're on the American side definitely take the Empire Service since those trains are starting in Niagra Falls, whereas the Maple Leaf has started in Toronto and could have encountered delays before reaching Niagra Falls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back