AEM-7AC Last Run?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Evan's Trains

Train Attendant
I know there have been several of these topics before but does anybody know for sure when the last AEM-7 will run? Anyone have any predictions?

Aren't there likely to be a number of AEM-7's kept around as "cold reserve" just in case any problems occur with the new engines?

I know there have been several of these topics before but does anybody know for sure when the last AEM-7 will run? Anyone have any predictions?

Third Rail might know or at least have an educated guess.

I doubt anyone can know for sure until they actually stop running. As for an educated guess, I'm noticing only one Reman has made it past its inspection date in service. Therefore, I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say unless there is some operational issue that causes the Remans to remain in service or drives them out of service, you will not see one in revenue service after January.

In general, I am participating in the AEM7 Retirement thread. The 914 and 916 bought it this week, but the 917 and 927 are still chugging along in PTC service. This still leaves a net of 14 in active revenue service.

The ACS count is up to 64 delivered, but mods are still being performed and some haven't been accepted as of yet.

Ah, so they're being used to test the wayside PTC equipment. Got it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct. The reason I listed them separately is 927 was banned from revenue service. However, that status can change although it is probably unlikely. The 920 is confined to WAS-NYP service, so I'd imagine that will not make it past the next pm date.

The bottom line is I'd be mighty surprised if they were in revenue service past the middle of January and extremely surprised if they made it to March.

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct. The reason I listed them separately is 927 was banned from revenue service. However, that status can change although it is probably unlikely. The 920 is confined to WAS-NYP service, so I'd imagine that will not make it past the next pm date.

The bottom line is I'd be mighty surprised if they were in revenue service past the middle of January and extremely surprised if they made it to March.
Any reason for the Ban?? Shame about the 920, I've heard that was one of the better remans.

Any reason for the Ban?? Shame about the 920, I've heard that was one of the better remans.

She was having HEP reliability problems. 920 was a work horse, but sometimes the engines have transition problems on the Hell Gate line or at Mill River. Additionally, they may have problems with all of the dead sections or with push pull trains.

This isn't that uncommon. Indeed, there have been ACS-64s with the same restrictions....already. :blink:

I'm thinking MARC may want to hang on to a few. They've had one for a few months now.

There are three Remans in MARC service and two more remans have made it past their respective dates. Considering ACS unit 664 is just getting underway, I thinking Remans will remain in revenue service until April?

watchthisspace.gif

For those who are over on the Book of Face (Facebook) and on the NEC fan page, it was brought up that who is believed to be a former employee or retired sent out an e-mail about a "fan trip". I finally got the e-mail from a friend who I warned that the email was going around.

I will post the e-mails contents here.. I will say that this guy has so much time on his hands... AFAIK this e-mail is complete non sense and NOT to be taken seriously..

Circulating on the internet, but not confirmed...forwarded as information only.

Amtrak will operate a “Farewell to the AEM7 Locomotive” excursion, round-trip out of WAS, on Saturday, June 18.

Excursion trip will include a photo opportunity in Halethorpe, a stop in PHL, where box lunches will be provided and a tour of the WIL shops and equipment display.

Tickets will go on sale 5/1 at a price of $150.00.

The schedule for the train is listed below. They expect about 490 passengers on this train.

Passengers will need to sign a waiver if they intend to get off the train in Halethorpe (for pictures) and in WIL (to tour the shops). The waiver will be available on Amtrak.com and onboard the train. They are hoping to run the train with 7 coaches and 2 café cars (one of the café’s is planned to be a merchandise car). There will be some special equipment in the WIL shops for the passengers to see/tour. ADA passengers are welcome to ride the train, but they will not be able to disembark in Halethorpe or in WIL as facilities do not support disability access.

SCHEDULE: Saturday June 18th

9:10 AM Depart WAS
9:32 AM pass Grove on number 1 track
9:45 AM arrive Halethorpe on “A” track. Can’t arrive earlier, will be following MARC train 476 which departs Halethorpe at 9:42 AM
9:45 AM – 9:57 AM discharge those passengers that wish to photograph the train during the photo run-by
9:57 AM start reverse move south of Winans on number 1 track after train 164 passes
10:07 AM begin photo-run by as train operates north on “A” track through the station and stops clear of and just north of the station
10:13 AM begin reverse move back into the station at Halethorpe
10:18 AM train spotted on platform, load passengers
10:33 AM depart Halethorpe prior to MARC train 478 arriving at 10:42 AM
10:40 AM pass Bridge number 2 track
10:46 AM pass BAL, no stop
11:33 AM pass WIL, no stop
11:37 AM pass Landlith number 1 track
11:43 AM pass Bell 1F track to operate under the Jump-Over
11:49 AM pass Holly number 2 track
12:03 PM arrive PHL. This keeps special ahead of train 20 due to arrive PHL at 12:08 PM and train 82 due to arrive at 12:15 PM
12:08 PM – 12:45 PM load food, board KP crew to pilot train and wye on NYP- PGH subway and return to 30th Street station. Passengers remain on train
12:45 PM depart PHL or slightly earlier if ready, following train 195 due to depart PHL at 12:34 PM and 91 at 12:35 PM
1:05 PM stop south of Landlith to make reverse move into Wilmington shops
1:15 PM clear Landlith on “O” and shop tracks ahead of trains 2212 due Landlith at 1:19 PM and 2251 due Landlith 1:28 PM
Tour Wilmington shops and equipment display
3:50 PM Tours concluded, train ready
4:00 PM depart Landlith after train 161 due Landlith at 3:51 PM and 156 due Landlith at 3:54 PM
5:35 PM arrive at WAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back