Agent Tools

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rail Freak

Engineer
Do the agents have a tool that could tell them which dates are low bucket for different routes so we could save time seraching a day at a time?

RF :cool:

no but i know a member on the forum here has a program that can do it. i have tried to create a similar app but my visual basic and sql knowledge still needs work.

Do the agents have a tool that could tell them which dates are low bucket for different routes so we could save time seraching a day at a time?RF :cool:

I was thinking about a similar topic earlier today. I would like to be available to search on line for a certain type of accomodation given a room type and start and end date. It is frustrating to look for a room day by day to find a date where they are not sold out. For example, say I wanted a deluxe room Seattle to Chicago with a departure as early as July 15 and no later than July 20. Both on line and with agents its a day by day search. With some airlines or hotels, I think they can run a range like I suggested, from past experience.

JMB, it wouldn't surprise me to find out that something like that is in the works with the site overhaul due out next year.

Yes, there is a tool that travel agents (like me) can use to search for a specific bucket over a 7-day period. Whether or not agents at Amtrak have access to the same tool in their environment I don't know but the capability exists and has for decades.

Ticket agents at Amtrak stations use a GUI (Graphic User Interface) front-end called STARS that overlays ARROW, Amtrak's reservations system. Agents in the reservation call centers use a similar GUI called RailRES.

Here's an example from the travel agent side. (The output is real-time and almost identical to what an Amtrak agent would see if their GUI front-end platforms have access to this feature.) This feature has existed for many, many years but probably only a handful of travel agents nationwide are even aware of it.

In the example below, you want the "ED" (lowest priced roomette bucket) between LAX and SEA starting on 10 July and going forward.

The command for an agent using the APOLLO system is:

L[]2V/A/ED/10JULLAXSEA

Here's the response:

*** AMTRAK ***LOS ANGELES CA/SEATTLE WA WELCOME ABOARD

10JUL-FR-1201A LAX SEA ** USE AMTRAK FARE QUOTE FOR FARES **

SPACE NOT FOUND 10JUL 11JUL 12JUL 13JUL

1 2V 14 FS3 FA2 FB1 FC1 DS8 LAXSEA 1015A 14JUL 845P+1 RDL C

DA6 DB4 DC2 DD0 ES8 EA8 EB8 EC5 ED1

Notice that the third line from the top reads "SPACE NOT FOUND 10JUL 11JUL 12JUL 13JUL"

Then you see there is one "ED" left in the inventory and the date in the actual line of availability is 14 July (14JUL). From that point on the agent sells the space and finishes up the reservation in the usual manner.

I also report on significant Amtrak detours when I read about them in briefings for travel agents. Check out my blog.

-- Greg

read my blog: "Planes, Trains & Automobiles"

www.norcalblogs.com/transportation

no but i know a member on the forum here has a program that can do it. i have tried to create a similar app but my visual basic and sql knowledge still needs work.
Enjoy, and don't break it. :)

The two calendars are start and end date to search (won't allow more than 14 days total, just to keep you from waiting and waiting).

The two unlabeled textboxes are from and to.

Limitation as of now: can unpuzzle the prices for single-segment (no connections) coach only; so far no connecting trips or deeper digging for accomodation upgrades.

I may AJAXfully jazz it up later.

(and/or take it down if it becomes too popular :p )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back