AGR Points for Thruway Bus

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vickinish

Train Attendant
I plan to use points for the Coast Starlight, Los Angeles to San Francisco, using a roomette. The last part of that trip would be the bus from Oakland into San Francisco. I will be charged 15,000 points for the CS. But will there be additional AGR points charged for the final bus portion of the trip?

I plan to use points for the Coast Starlight, Los Angeles to San Francisco, using a roomette. The last part of that trip would be the bus from Oakland into San Francisco. I will be charged 15,000 points for the CS. But will there be additional AGR points charged for the final bus portion of the trip?
No. The entire trip from LA to SF, including the bus from Oakland to SF, is included in the 15,000 point roomette redemption.

:hi: This is a Great Trip but you might want to consider using your 15,000 Points to ride from LAX-Seattle! it will get you another Night in your Sleeper, the PPC, Another Wine and Cheese Tasting, and Three More Meals either in the PPC or Diner plus some more Outstanding Scenery in the Cascades! :wub: You didnt indicate how you planned to return but you could either buy a Coach ticket (or even a Sleeper if you can afford it, it's an Overnight Return to the Bay Area from Seattle,, then a Day Trip down to LAX if you wanted to spend a night or two in San Fran!)) or even Fly( :eek: ) if you dont have enough Points for the return!

Last edited by a moderator:
:hi: This is a Great Trip but you might want to consider using your 15,000 Points to ride from LAX-Seattle! it will get you another Night in your Sleeper, the PPC, Another Wine and Cheese Tasting, and Three More Meals either in the PPC or Diner plus some more Outstanding Scenery in the Cascades! :wub: You didnt indicate how you planned to return but you could either buy a Coach ticket (or even a Sleeper if you can afford it, it's an Overnight Return to the Bay Area from Seattle,, then a Day Trip down to LAX if you wanted to spend a night or two in San Fran!)) or even Fly( :eek: ) if you dont have enough Points for the return!

I have taken the trip to and from Seattle many times and do love it. My need is to get to SF to take a cruise to Alaska. I will spend a few days in SF upon the cruise's return to the city and then take the CS home. I have no problem using the points, I have enough to travel across the USA and back in a bedroom right now. And using a roomette for the day trip up and back the coast is one of the most civilized ways to travel I know. PPC, dining, private area to watch the great scenery go by. It's a winner.

Glad to hear that I don't have to waste points on the bus though. I was thinking I would pay for that part if they wanted to take 1000 points or some such thing.

I have taken the trip to and from Seattle many times and do love it. My need is to get to SF to take a cruise to Alaska. I will spend a few days in SF upon the cruise's return to the city and then take the CS home. I have no problem using the points, I have enough to travel across the USA and back in a bedroom right now. And using a roomette for the day trip up and back the coast is one of the most civilized ways to travel I know. PPC, dining, private area to watch the great scenery go by. It's a winner.

Glad to hear that I don't have to waste points on the bus though. I was thinking I would pay for that part if they wanted to take 1000 points or some such thing.
Sounds like a great trip! Enjoy. :cool:

:hi: Fantastic, glad you have gotten to see the Northern Route! Be sure and Get a Good seat in the PPC for the Ocean View Part of the trip and most of us prefer to eat Luncg and Dinner in the PPC, the Food and Service and Ambience can't be beat! :wub: The Thruwqay Bus across the Bay is an easy ride,it loads right in front of the Emeryville Station and the Bus is Clean and Newish! (seems all of the California Thruways have this in common :cool: )Id suggest getting off @ the Ferry Terminal Stop instead of one of the other stops, it's actually an Amtrak Station with Agents(youll have to take your Bags to the Bus in Emeryville upon Arrival)) and Ticketing, everything a Station is except No Trains :lol: !

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually the bus connection is in Oakland. I planned to go to the Ferry Building terminus. Question - when I am returning southbound, if the CS is running late will the bus still take me at the appointed time and I will wait in Oakland?

I agree about eating in the PPC. Love it!

Ddid book this for my July cruise. And the answer about the SFC bus to Oakland is - yes, it will always leave at the appointed time. If the CS is late one gets to wait for it at the Oakland station. Hope there is something to do there if I end up with hours to wait. But lately the SB CS has been running quite timely.

Thanks for the info. I found the AGR agent, Amanda, to be quite knowledgeable and a nice gal.

Back