AGR Points Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like many AGR Chase Card holders, I'm a little concerned about the current program! Maybe (Hopefully) too concerned! But, I paid my monthly bill in full on Monday, Immediately after receiving statement. Chase has acknowledged payment & the money was withdrawn from my checking account but no points added to my AGR account! I know it's early, but usually receive my points immediately??? Any comforting ideas out there? Thanx

My billing date is the 27th, and like clockwork, the AGR points post on the 28th - until this month. I also have not had my points from the March 27 statement post. The bank statement lists the points that were earned through card activity, but so far, the AGR account does not reflect those points. It's just a couple of days, so it is likely not a big deal, but it is unusual.

I hate to chime in but my card posts one day ahead of yours Rail Freak and there is nothing added to AGR points this morning.

So that's three people with late-in-the-month closing dates who have not gotten their credit-card points posted... sounds like there is either a glitch that hit this past week, or a longer term problem (or worse)! My closing date/points transfer date has been the 19th (and March's transferred fine)... I'm charging up a storm this week and my only consolation is At Least There Will Be Points... hope it all gets cleared up in a few weeks.

I recently got the card (approved 2/28 before the blackout) and had my first points post this morning. Notified by email. Also got the 12k bonus points for $500 spent on the card in the first three months, which I wasn't totally sure that I was going to get.

Nothing posting for me from my 3/27 statement. Since I have never had a Chase posting take more than one day, I smell a snafu. I'm betting the issue is on the AGR side of the house. I also bet they will claim the opposite.

It may be a snafu or a cessation of the automated interface. Despite Chase indicating that the points were transferred to Amtrak that message may only refer to an offline transfer of updates that still need to be loaded and processed manually on Amtrak's side.

I was going to ask if anyone posted on FlyerTalk about this problem, but I see one of you did. Guess you haven't heard back from AGR Insider about it.

I did see where someone's points posted, as expected, on April 1st or 2nd. So, it seems to be just a glitch for the week in question.

The other thing to consider is that there many, many people who have *purchased* points to make up a small difference needed for travel. I find it unbelievable that a program like this would be cancelled without advanced notification.
Although it is rather unlikely the AGR program would suddenly cease to exist, so far as I am aware there is no legal restriction which would prevent Amtrak from dismantling Guest Rewards and voiding unredeemed points at their sole discretion. This appears to be a near universal truth of loyalty programs. It's important to remember that loyalty points have no intrinsic value or purpose and your membership in the program generally grants few if any guarantees or protections. In simple terms until your points are spent on an actual service or product their negotiable value is mostly hypothetical.

As a practical matter it's tedious and disruptive to substantially change loyalty programs at the drop of a hat, but in legal terms Amtrak is in no way obligated to honor unredeemed points at a specific rate on a given day for a particular purpose. Even though many of us may funnel hundreds or even thousands of dollars toward loyalty programs on a regular basis the reality is that we're rolling dice in the hope that we'll be taken care of when it comes time to redeem. In my view this fundamental imbalance is an important fact to remember the next time you're considering a large purchase or planning an long trip.
Nothing has stopped airlines from changing the terms at the drop of a hat. Every time it happens there are angry words followed by a gradual recognition that the customer got exactly what he signed up for. Another issue is that points have been too easy to get via all sorts of "partner" offers, so they've been effectively devalued. Anyone who doesn't participate in them is at a disadvantage.

i called agr again regarding the points for march that should have posted to my agr account over a week ago. was told that my problem would be sent to "operations" and they would get back to me. i'm not holding my breath waiting for the call. i mentioned to the agr rep that i wasn't the only one whose points didn't post and she replied "no, you are not", put me on hold for a while and came up with the song and dance about sending my problem to "operations". it seems obvious , to me, that someone in agr knows what is going on and equally obvious that they don't feel obliged to let amtrak customers know. ah, were there only another rail line to which i could take my business

As posted earlier, mine and wife's AGR Mastercard points for March did post as usual and have we transferred points from Sapphire Card to AGR without a glitch. So as of this morning, things are running as close to normal as expected at this end. I suppose it would be better for all of our blood pressures if we just mellow out and wait for the official word to come from AGR. Our former leader and friend Anthony is an honest man who will let everyone know what is happening as soon as Amtrak and AGR have concluded the final deal, if there is to be a new one or not. Peace, love :) :)

As posted earlier, mine and wife's AGR Mastercard points for March did post as usual and have we transferred points from Sapphire Card to AGR without a glitch. So as of this morning, things are running as close to normal as expected at this end. I suppose it would be better for all of our blood pressures if we just mellow out and wait for the official word to come from AGR. Our former leader and friend Anthony is an honest man who will let everyone know what is happening as soon as Amtrak and AGR have concluded the final deal, if there is to be a new one or not. Peace, love :) :)
Great idea, much harder to do!

I have a bunch of Chase Ultimate Reward points that I do not want to transfer to AGR until I need them. But if we lose that transfer ability, without any notice, then I will be out of luck.

From AGR insider this morning on FlyerTalk:

AGR is aware of the point posting issue and we are working with Chase to resolve delayed posting credit for specific statement closing dates in March. This issue is not related to the discontinuance of new credit card applications. Thank you for your patience.

Anthony

Back