AGR Points

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slither

Train Attendant
Looking at a possible round trip in early fall from Chicago to Pasco, Wa. In todays points a bedroom for two adults (two regions) would cost 80,000 AGR points. The cost in dollars would be approximately $2,788.00 depending on the days of travel. The way the new estimator shows the cost in relation to dollars it would take 96,186 AGR points for one person in a bedroom. They way I read that, would I then have to use more points for an additional person to share the bedroom with me? Looks like I should try and book soon. The new system doesn't look favorable for long distance travel.

Yes, you would need points for the 2nd persons rail cost (lowest coach cost) with the new AGR.

Bedrooms in the 27 sleeper (instead of the 7 sleeper) appear to be 1/2 the price, and roomettes another half lower than bedrooms. I feel confident that you can get lower points required under the new system -- eapecially if you have some travel date flexibility and use amsnag.net to find lowest fare dates.

If you look at the fare you researched (do some "test" reservations), you should see the per-person cost of the rail fare in addition to the accommodation charge. If you make a test reservation for two people, that dollar amount you plug in to the points calculator will include both of you. Perhaps not exact but, should help with approximations.

You are currently in the eleven month window for reservations so you might consider booking this under the "zone" system before January 24. If you do not cancel or modify after Jan 24, you'll be fine.

The Estimator says for one leg only. What if one's trip requires a change of trains? Do you have to do each one separately? Two separate reservations?
Not quite sure what that means when it comes to redemptions. I suspect it should apply to the entire price. If it doesn't and the 800 point minimum must apply to short segments (especially short bus segments like EMY-SFC) then it's a ripoff.

It might matter for earning since earning is per segment and the cost of a segment rounds down for determining earned points.

Earnings iare based on the fare for the entire itinerary, unless of course one or more segments involve Business or First Class. In that case I suspect they will break out the component for that segment and apply the extra bonuses only to those and not the whole itinerary.

Earnings iare based on the fare for the entire itinerary, unless of course one or more segments involve Business or First Class. In that case I suspect they will break out the component for that segment and apply the extra bonuses only to those and not the whole itinerary.
Aren't earnings still based on the individual segment cost breakdown? I thought earnings are supposed to strictly be butts in seats. If you miss a segment then the value of that segment doesn't post towards earnings.

Just as a theoretical example, imagine an itinerary with two segments for a total of $99 with each segment $44.50. In my experience AGR rounds down, so it should be 88 points each segment under the new rules, and 176 points total. Or at least that's my interpretation.

Tom,

We try to use a bedroom when we can because the wife likes the private restroom accommodations better. She will do a little house cleaning when we board, and then feels better about the facilities..??? Also it's a little roomier as we always keep our bags in the room with us.

Back