Alamo

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

el Guapo

Train Attendant
Anybody ever do a walk to the Alamo in SAS during the stop on the SL?

I know it's only a block or so from the Riverwalk.

Yup. Last summer we got to the Tower of the Americas, went up, had a Walk along the Riverwalk and visited the Alamo (which was of course closed at this time of the day) All in about 2hrs.

It's about a 20-30 minute easy flat walk from the station so there is ample time. The experience will depend on whether you are on train #1 or #2. #1 gets into SAS in the early hours of the morning so there will be little if anything going on anywhere. #2 on the other hand arrives around 9:30 pm so there will still be plenty of action around town, especially on a weekend. As indicated above, the Alamo itself will be closed, but it is well worth the effort to make the walk and have a look at it.

It's about a 20-30 minute easy flat walk from the station so there is ample time. The experience will depend on whether you are on train #1 or #2. #1 gets into SAS in the early hours of the morning so there will be little if anything going on anywhere. #2 on the other hand arrives around 9:30 pm so there will still be plenty of action around town, especially on a weekend. As indicated above, the Alamo itself will be closed, but it is well worth the effort to make the walk and have a look at it.
It's floodlit (at least the last time I saw it). And you'll be amazed at how small it seems after hearing all the stories over the years. I thought it would be a huge fortress-like structure.

Thanks for your input.

I've seen it before. Both during the day and at night. Taking the family on #2 in a few days and hope it's reasonably on time so we can see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back