ALL NEW DINING CAR AND LOUNGE MENU!!!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mind at all.

I also take it that the lounce menu on Amtrak California is different from the national one. The cheese pretzel is a hot pretzel (no salt :( )filled with cheese and nuked to perfection :) . While this is not the way I usually like them (I prefer separate) I enjoy it on the train.

I also take it that the lounce menu on Amtrak California is different from the national one.
I'm actually in the Northeast but, the Cafe menu is very limited and not very apitizing. Sounds like a good snack. I'll have to try the next time in the Lounge of a Long Distance train. :)

My favorite foods on the train are steak for dinner and french toast with bacon for breakfast. Do not really have a luncheon favorite...probably the cheeseburger. In growing up I did not like veggies or salads, but learned to appreciate them on the train. ALso had my first cheesecake on the train...crossing the Potomac River on The Crescent from NY to ATL years ago. For some reason that stands in my mind. ALso drank my first cup of coffee on a train, a Southern railroad local from Chattanooga to Memphis years ago---from a food vendor who passed through the train--it had no dining car.

Bill, slightly OT, but isn't it amazing how aromas and tastes can instantly rewind time? Regards, Mike

Yes, Mike, it is amazing how aromas and tastes can rewind time. Do you have any specific memories about food on the train you would like to share?

In my case, the one about eating cheesecake for the first time...the train was four hours late(engine trouble in Baltimore). At that time the full diner on the train from NYC was not put on until DC so people had waited for the diner...that is why it was still open at midnight.

Yes Castle burrgers are still on Silver Service. If you really like them, they can be found in most supermarkets now in the freezer section. Down here in Miami, alot of bars make them from scratch and during MNF, they are free!!! Every now and then, I get a few off the inbounds. When the commisary folks come to offload the cars, they leave the outdated food on the lounge. We also get the deserts from the diner and sometimes we eat steak!!! :p

The cookies are a thing of the past. I miss them sooo much!!! I'd get a carton of half and half off the diner, put it in the freezer till just right and heat the cookie in the micro for 3 seconds. It was also good if you put some ice cream between 2 warm cookies!! :D I'll go down to the commisary and ask who the vendor was.

I don't know why, but I 'm having a vision!! :blink: I can see Alan walking thru the sleeper after everyone has gotten off, looking for cookies!!! :eek: He has his little tote bag and you can see the wrappers caught in the zipper!!!

Hey Alan!!!

Miami Joe said:
I don't know why, but I 'm having a vision!! :blink: I can see Alan walking thru the sleeper after everyone has gotten off, looking for cookies!!!   :eek:  He has his little tote bag and you can see the wrappers caught in the zipper!!!  Hey Alan!!!
Never happened. :) For one simple reason, there were never any cookies left by the time the train got to an endpoint station. So there was no sense walking through the train.

However anytime during the journey that I was walking through a sleeper, mine or the other sleeper car, you could bet that cookies were disapearing into my pockets if there were any out in the service areas. :)

Steve4031 said:
Guys, lets cut to the chase. No matter what it is we eat on the train, it almost always tastes better because we ARE eating it on the train. :D
Agreed thats a key factor.

Steve4031 said:
Guys, lets cut to the chase. No matter what it is we eat on the train, it almost always tastes better because we ARE eating it on the train. :D
Well in the case of those cookies, let me tell you they tasted just as good 3 days later while sitting at home. However, overall I would probably agree with that statement.

Those cookies probably taste the best when you are in coach and walk through the sleeper and snag them, and then you go back and eat them in the coach.

As far as im concerned, any food that is prepared ok always taste better on the train.

Listening to music on my MP3 player is always better on the train.

I have to admit though, that the one time I tried sex on the train it was hard to do. We were on the WB Capitol Limited coming into Pittsburg.

You should try it in the cab of an F-40 going backwards!!! :eek: Sometimes you would start to get carsick!!! :blink:

God, I miss the old days and they were only 3 years ago!!!! :D

B)

Everyone will have to wait until Wed., when I come in. The Commisary Director will be back Tuesday, and I will get the address for the cookie vendor. The guys at the building didn't know the name, but said they were available online.

B)

Miami Joe said:
Everyone will have to wait until Wed., when I come in. The Commisary Director will be back Tuesday, and I will get the address for the cookie vendor. The guys at the building didn't know the name, but said they were available online.B)
Cool. :)

AlanB said:
Miami Joe said:
Everyone will have to wait until Wed., when I come in. The Commisary Director will be back Tuesday, and I will get the address for the cookie vendor. The guys at the building didn't know the name, but said they were available online.B)
Cool. :)
Good, I wonder how much they cost, and how many you'd have to buy. B)

It would be interesting. I seriously don't think they would, or at least not individually, most likely you'd have to buy in bulk, which would make each cookie cheaper than if they were bought in large quantities.

I loved those cookies...I am not sure if I took lessons from Alan B. or if he took lessons from me, i.e. going from car to car....incidentally, sometimes I have done constructive things....on a recent trip the types of snacks avaialble in one sleeper were different from those in another, so I spread them out, without necessarily eating all of them myself!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back