ALN -CDN Alton IL to Camden ME, how to book it?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RRrich

Conductor
Seems like the switch from BOS to BON louses up arrow. Should I use the phone? How many zones is this trip?

Considering the downeaster only goes to Portland, ME, and there is no train to Camden, I have no idea. Maybe there is thruway bus connection?

It should be two zones.

I had trouble last year when I was trying to take my awards trip originally from Wells, ME. I just gave up and had them book my trip from BOS and booked the downeaster separately (it was only $24 so I figured it wasn't that big of a deal).

OK I was just futzing around at amtrak.com. I tried BON - CDN (Camden) and it looks like there is only option. The downeaster to a thruway bus connection. The bus is 8254 and it leaves Portland, ME at 2 pm. It looks like you will have to be able to connect to a downeaster that arrives in Portland, ME prior to that in order to make the connection, which is why your choices are probably so limited (or nonexistant). I don't think this trip will be possible without some sort of overnight, or unless you take Cap to the 66 and arrive early morning into BOS.

EDIT: putting in PVD - CDN does provide the 66 into BOS, self transfer to BON, and then the 681 downeaster to the thruway bus connection.

You could book this multi-city, but if you are trying to do an AGR award trip, I am not sure if you will be able to book it if arrow doesn't spit it out as a possibility from your origination station.

Last edited by a moderator:
One more thing I will throw out there. If you can book the trip to Portland, there are plenty more bus connections available in Portland. Check out concord trailways. The train station in Portland is a combined train/bus station so bus transfers are super easy.

http://www.concordcoachlines.com/

OK I posted that before I actually checked. From the timing, I am wondering if the thruway bus connection is actually the same bus as concord trailways? Interesting.

OK I was just futzing around at amtrak.com. I tried BON - CDN (Camden) and it looks like there is only option. The downeaster to a thruway bus connection. The bus is 8254 and it leaves Portland, ME at 2 pm. It looks like you will have to be able to connect to a downeaster that arrives in Portland, ME prior to that in order to make the connection, which is why your choices are probably so limited (or nonexistant). I don't think this trip will be possible without some sort of overnight, or unless you take Cap to the 66 and arrive early morning into BOS.

EDIT: putting in PVD - CDN does provide the 66 into BOS, self transfer to BON, and then the 681 downeaster to the thruway bus connection.

You could book this multi-city, but if you are trying to do an AGR award trip, I am not sure if you will be able to book it if arrow doesn't spit it out as a possibility from your origination station.
I've looked at this a few times myself and that's really the only option: take either the Capitol Limited or Cardinal to Washington, then catch the #66 to Boston. It'll get you there early enough to connect through to Camden. It is bookable, but as a multi-city trip (ALN-WAS, then WAS-CDN). I don't know if AGR would be able to book that or not. The alternative is taking the Lake Shore Limited to either Boston or New York and spending the night. If AGR can't do it I'd just use one reservation to get to Boston and book the Downeaster separately. It's not all that expensive.

I live near Camden.

I recommend consulting that Concord coach schedule. I also recommend taking the Concord Coach from SOUTH Station to Portland. It's only a short walk from where your train gets in, and they run nearly hourly. This gets you to Portland sooner, and might make the connection to the coastal route bus easier.

Yes, the Amtrak "Thru-way Coach" is in fact Concord's regular coastal run. It's about 3 hours from Portland to Camden by bus.

I love the Downeaster but only use it to get to Boston as my final destination. When I am going to Boston to get on another train I find the Concord Coach MUCH more convenient for making my connections at South Station. Same for returning home from points beyond Boston.

I normally drive from here to Portland (2 hr), but you won't have that option I guess.

Best luck with your plans - you didn't say when you're going, but I recommend spring or fall - summer is crazy busy in Camden and I avoid it altogether in those busy months.

Belfast, the next good-sized town up the coast, is really nice!

Feel free to contact me about any details in this area...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back