"Alternate Track-A-Train" v2

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Train2104

OBS Chief
I've just completed a revamp to the Amtrak Location Map (aka "Better Track-A-Train"). Since the data is still the same as Amtrak's, it's essentially cosmetic changes.

• The sidebar now stays fixed, for ease of use on mobile devices. The map viewport is small if you're on a narrow phone, unfortunately - rotate to landscape for a better view. The separate sidebar also means that the last stops won't get cut off on small screens.
  • Stations now show up at closer zoom levels.
  • Click on the train number at the top of the sidebar to view a Dixieland report. Click on the station abbreviations to see an ASMAD history chart for the past 60 days.
  • Estimated times are now gray, since the italics was a bit hard to see at first.

The URL hasn't changed, it's still http://asm.transitdocs.com.

As always, I'm open to suggestions...

Your link connects to what looks like a screen shot of a FAQ page, with the left margin cutoff. Am I missing something?

Anyway, it's a great app. thank you for your effort.

Your link connects to what looks like a screen shot of a FAQ page, with the left margin cutoff. Am I missing something?

Anyway, it's a great app. thank you for your effort.
That's what happens when the map doesn't load. Try clearing your browser cache.

EDIT: The train icons don't show up on the map in IE. This may have been an issue in the old version, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
For anyone who isn't seeing the map, you may want to turn off any ad blockers you may have. Some of them block the Google API that is being used.

For anyone who isn't seeing the map, you may want to turn off any ad blockers you may have. Some of them block the Google API that is being used.
Shouldn't be necessary. I tested in Chrome/Firefox with Adblock Plus enabled. If you were able to see the old map properly, you should be able to see the new one.

On IE the map loads but no train icons will show.

If the map isn't loading, clear your browser cache.

Neat! Shows our trains to/from Florida 15 to 30 minutes late. Good to know.

I checked it, just now, from a cellphone running Android 5.0/Lollipop.

This may be a limitation of the data you get from Amtrak's site, but would it be possible to put actual expected times in the left had column instead of just how many minutes late a train is expected? That way if someone does not know what time a train is suppose to arrive at a particular station, it would tell them.

This may be a limitation of the data you get from Amtrak's site, but would it be possible to put actual expected times in the left had column instead of just how many minutes late a train is expected? That way if someone does not know what time a train is suppose to arrive at a particular station, it would tell them.
I do have that data. However, given the limited space available in the column, I think that OTP is a better use, so it's easy to see the trend and predictions.

If more people want times, it's easy to show them instead - but showing both in the column is not possible (except by tooltip, which isn't mobile compatible but I'll give it a shot)

I do have that data. However, given the limited space available in the column, I think that OTP is a better use, so it's easy to see the trend and predictions.

If more people want times, it's easy to show them instead - but showing both in the column is not possible (except by tooltip, which isn't mobile compatible but I'll give it a shot)
Totally understand. I just know when I was on my trip last week, I kept having to refer to timetables to know what actual time the trains were estimated to arrive at different stations.

I can really see the value in the current format when you are just watching trains. I can see the value of actual times when you are traveling.

Very useful. Dropped off family members at 2:00 am in Rocky Mount this morning and noticed the changes. (98 was late, naturally.)

Add me to the list of folks who would enjoy this feature if and when it becomes practical. Thanks for the service as-is regardless.

Works great in Safari 9.0. Thanks for the great work.
Is that for Windows? The current Mac version is 8.0.7.
Safari for Windows was quietly discontinued after version 5. Due to Apple's inexplicable decision to chain basic application updates to full operating system upgrades the "current" version of Safari largely depends on your version of OSX. If you're on Mountain Lion the current version of Safari is 6. If you're on Mavericks the current version of Safari is 7. If you're on Yosemite the current version of Safari is 8. And if you're on El Capitan the current version of Safari is 9. The ability to fine tune your experience by choosing when to upgrade each application separately from your operating system is coming to an end.

When it comes to Apple software your options are limited to either updating everything at once, including your entire operating system, or updating nothing at all. A few years ago when Retina Macbooks were released Apple seemed to be moving toward more options and greater flexibility and featuring industry standard ports, but today's Apple seems to be moving in the opposite direction and going out of their way to limit flexibility as much as possible. Witness Apple's latest laptop with no open ports whatsoever. You connect the charger and then that's it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just completed a revamp to the Amtrak Location Map (aka "Better Track-A-Train"). Since the data is still the same as Amtrak's, it's essentially cosmetic changes.

Thanks Train2104 I love it I wanna marry it.

Great display (both modes) on PC, (older v) Firefox, no Ad Blocker, no prob w/Firefox onboard popup blocker.

Your URL previously/still listed in my Allow for Session cookies.

Yeah, Printman, we'll get right on over to Trainorders to fix Auburn Ed's life.

Train2104 you may contact me if you ever need a Beta Tester; I've done it before professionally and personally.

I love it - it's beautiful in Safari, it's beautiful in Firefox! Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back