Am Status connection reset?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil S

OBS Chief
Using Firefox, lately, every time I try to log in to Am Status, I get a "connection reset, try again." Works fine the second time, I can't duplicate this with say Chrome because (it seems) that after I go through this once, website seems to work with any browser. If it helps, I've got my bookmark pointed to the western map page.

Not a big deal. Just curious. But happy to do some more tests if it seeems worthwhile.

Thanks,

Phil S

What are we talking about? I googled "Am status" and nothing to do with Amtrak showed up.

I have long suspected that Firefox tries to hold onto the data in its cache, too long. The cache is the temporary files that it downloads to put a webpage together. The theory is that if your communication speeds are slow (dial-up), then it's a good idea to try and reuse files wherever possible rather than to download files all over again - especially if you use the "BACK" button on the browser. However, if communication speeds are good, then caching files isn't as important. Even though I have selected the option to have the browser flush the cache when the browser closes, it still seems to be using what it had in the cache when the browser is restarted.

One of the problems with Amtrak Status Maps is that it uses a lot of address forwarding. This means that when you open up a page you are then sent somewhere else. I think Firefox sees this and assumes it knows where the forwarded address will go - but in actuality it doesn't - because it's changed frequently.

So you can try this experiment to see if it improves things: cut the caching down to 0. This means that the pages will do a fresh load every time. This may be cumbersome when communication speeds are low. And don't forget, if you do this, you are changing the settings for every webpage you visit.

Here's how:

1) Open up Options.

2) Select Advanced

3) Under "Cached Web Content", select "Override automatic cache management" and set the amount to 0.

4) Restart your browser.

The steps above might not describe exactly what you need to do for your particular version of Firefox, but what you're trying to do is stop the automatic caching.

jb

Never mind. That didn't work. It's something goofy (that's the technical term) that Firefox is doing and I don't have a work-around. I suggest using Chrome for a while.

jb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back