amclub and metroclub seating in the 70's

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yarrow

Engineer
far ne washington state, 1/2 mile from canada
picked up a couple of 1970's "offical railway guide" for 50 cents each out of the old magazine pile at the oregon railway historical society enginehouse in portland last week. fascinating. but my question is what were the metroclub and amclub upgrades shown in the railway guide that were offered on a lot of the nec trains back in that day?

Basically in was Amtrak's brand name for parlor/club car service.

According to a book I have (Amtrak Trains & Travel by Patrick Doran, 1979), the MetroClub were Metroliner parlor cars, equipped with a galley for food service and single seating.

The original Amclub cars were part of the then-new Amfleet equipment with 2-1 seating and a capacity of 33 passengers. The car was divided into coach and club by having galley in the middle for the attendant to serve the club car passenger. The club car service was designed to give the passenger softer, thicker cushion seats with extra wide armrest and deeper reclining seats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, the Metroliners were actually more comfortable than the Acelas! Ever time I ride in Biz Class I realize the 2x1 Seating is the Best set up Amtrak has ever had except for the Swivel Chairs in the PPCs!

Last edited by a moderator:
I advocate dropping the "First Class" lingo, and restoring the term "Club". Acela Club sounds nicer, not razor-ish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back