Amenities you would love Amtrak to add?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While Showers in Coach are not practical for various reasons, Truck Stop-like Pay Showers at major stations may be feasible. Of course there would be a hefty investment to install them and you would have ongoing expenses related to staffing and maintaining them.

While Showers in Coach are not practical for various reasons, Truck Stop-like Pay Showers at major stations may be feasible. Of course there would be a hefty investment to install them and you would have ongoing expenses related to staffing and maintaining them.
Maybe Showers in Coach isn't such a Problem After all? They are already Plumbed for Restrooms, of which there are Several! The Large Handicapped Restroom on Rehabbed Coaches would make an Excellent Shower and it also would give the Coach Attendant some Work to do (since they No Longer Pass Out/Collect Pillows )besides Riding in the Rear Seats and Hanging out in the Diner!

Dome cars (with lounges) on all LD trains that don't have sightseer lounges.

My suggestion?

Dome cars on LD trains.

Real domes with 360 degree views.

Not those fake domes that can't look over any of the other cars.

----------------------------------

Coach

-a shower would be nice, one in each car.

-a small "soundproof" lounge for parents to bring screaming kids or for telephone calls

-reserved ASSIGNED SEATS (PLEASE!)
Great suggestions and great idea for a thread.

The only suggestion I disagreed was the one for more video screens. While it would be nice its absolutely unnecessary in this era. Proof positive is my recent trip on Cathay Pacific. The First Class seat has a screen larger than my laptop linked to thousands of audio and video options. And yet I never watched even a single show, in either direction no less, over the course of thirty odd hours. Between my phone and my tablet and my laptop I had more media than I could possibly watch in ten trips and it was all perfectly select just for me, by my very own brain. Thousands of options that have nothing to do with my sensibilities is a waste of time in the modern era. That really made me rethink any initiative involving Amtrak installing video screens. If you walk down any LD train youll see dozens or even hundreds of screens. Having Wi-Fi would be great though. Even airlines have it now, even over oceans in some cases.

Sleepers

-limited laundry service for bedrooms

-personal movie screens for videos and game rentals

-a box lunch option for meals (brought to room)
Eh? Id pass on all of that, even before considering the costs and logistics. The main thing I want for sleepers are cleaner and more modern furnishings. They're generally old, ugly, and dirty to my eyes.

General

-wi-fi on all trains

-vendors that walked the aisles selling soft drinks, candy bars, sandwiches (sometimes it's the power of suggestion)

-onboard newsstand; can't tell you how many times I see people with puzzle books and wish I'd brought one; I thought the café car sold decks of cards years ago, they could expand on that with a few books/magazines.
Besides Wi-Fi I dont find any of that to be a compelling improvement.

Wi-Fi on every route would be nice, but it would be extremely difficult in the remote areas some of the LD routes travel through. I can't even get cellular bars through some stretches near the Raton and Glorieta Passes.
I hear that a lot, but Im not sure that its really the technological nightmare that is often assumed. I cant get any cellular bars on modern aircraft and yet about half of those same aircraft do have Wi-Fi thats fast enough to actually be useful.

I like the boxed lunch option, the strolling vendor option, and the shower option for coach. Although, I can't imagine how nightmarish that shower room would look. :p There are many more passengers in coach, per car, than there are in the sleepers.
I find the concern over the state of the showers to be rather odd. Rather than had icky showers well just have everyone sit in their own filth for days at a time? Besides, shouldnt the staff be cleaning those showers? What else does a coach attendant do besides sit on their arse?

Assigned seats at the time of booking.
Agreed. I think the failure with assigned seats on Acela may not be all that relevant for LD trains. Acela is a short ride, which is the whole point for its existence, last I checked anyway. Its also stuck in a part of the country where folks seem to take pride in ignoring the rules, and each other for that matter. So its not a huge shock to me that few folks cared to sit in their selected seats or leave when the rightful passenger showed up.

The coach cars would have to be fitted with very large water tanks that would have to filled numerous times during a cross county trip so I am in agreement that showers in coaches would not be practical. It would make more sense to have pay showers available at larger stations like they once did. They were usually connected with Train crew facilities.

Wi-Fi on every route would be nice, but it would be extremely difficult in the remote areas some of the LD routes travel through. I can't even get cellular bars through some stretches near the Raton and Glorieta Passes.

I like the boxed lunch option, the strolling vendor option, and the shower option for coach. Although, I can't imagine how nightmarish that shower room would look. :p There are many more passengers in coach, per car, than there are in the sleepers.
My wish is for wideband WiFi on all the LD routes too. Since the internet link connection could be obtained via satellite, I believe that reception can be had in most remote areas, but in tunnels, underground stations, heavily wooded areas and valleys, reception might be a problem. If Amtrak had the funding,it should be doable.

Re: Wi-Fi:

While I'm sure it's doable via satellite or something similar to the airlines, those technologies are likely more expensive than cellular technologies, and thus for Amtrak to make it worthwhile would likely start charging for it (either as a way to limit the number of people using it so that it's usable for those that want it or as a way to recoup the additional cost.) While I would appreciate free wi-fi, if I have to pay for it I'll likely just wait until station stops, etc. where I have cell phone service.

While I'm sure it's doable via satellite or something similar to the airlines, those technologies are likely more expensive than cellular technologies, and thus for Amtrak to make it worthwhile would likely start charging for it (either as a way to limit the number of people using it so that it's usable for those that want it or as a way to recoup the additional cost.) While I would appreciate free wi-fi, if I have to pay for it I'll likely just wait until station stops, etc. where I have cell phone service.
IMO, satellite internet connectivity is very easy and cheap to obtain with a dish and a wireless gateway. The expense comes in when you have to route the signal to each and every car. If I am not mistaken all Amtrak trains already have internet connectivity for the onboard staff use. On the NEC trains have it for public use and except for You Tube videos ( that are blocked), it works pretty well.

Roomette, this is sheer, inspired, genius! A match made in heaven! Trains and bowling go together like chocolate and peanut butter. LOL!

93245774.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

IMO, satellite internet connectivity is very easy and cheap to obtain with a dish and a wireless gateway. The expense comes in when you have to route the signal to each and every car. If I am not mistaken all Amtrak trains already have internet connectivity for the onboard staff use. On the NEC trains have it for public use and except for You Tube videos ( that are blocked), it works pretty well.
And where do you put the dish? Put it on top and you may need to retract it when going into tunnels (where will it retract to?) Put it on the side and it's gone when the next freight passes by. Even if the satellite dish could be mounted in a decent location, the orientation needs to be precise, especially if you're doing anything remotely data-intensive. And that orientation changes every second that the train is moving.

However, that expense wasn't my primary concern. The expense would come in the monthly cost of putting in satellite internet service. Most residential satellite services have their top tier cap at either 15 or 25 GB. As but one example: http://www.exede.com/internet-packages-pricing/service-availability?zip=55101 A train full of people can easily chew through that cap. Maybe they would get a business deal, but I'm not sure if they could get a deal anywhere as competitive as what they have with the cellular companies.

When I was in Washington, DC in August, I notices the seat bottoms in the Amtrak lounge were mostly shredded. How about replacing them or at least a couple rolls of duct tape as a repair. This is the train station in our nations capital for crying out loud!!!!
An attempt by Amtrak to show they are not wasting money? I'm sure all the DC VIPs get free access. :giggle: :)

I find the concern over the state of the showers to be rather odd. Rather than had icky showers well just have everyone sit in their own filth for days at a time? Besides, shouldnt the staff be cleaning those showers? What else does a coach attendant do besides sit on their arse?
Oh, I'm not saying we shouldn't have them. I do like the idea. That was more of a caveat.

Besides, a messy shower room wouldn't deter me. It's just water, and maybe some towels on the floor, but that doesn't scare me.

- Dinner on the Eastbound Lake Shore Limited approaching NY (yes, I know, very specific that)

- Sightseer Lounges for the single-level trains like the ones used on Superliner trains. I don't think they need to be dome cars (there may be height problems with proper domes) but the big curved skylight windows are certainly possible.

- nut and fruit desserts (they USED to have these)

- real plates

- transportation of pets over short distances by some means (I wouldn't use it myself, but there are many people I know who don't take Amtrak *solely* because of this)

- level boarding, and not with idiotic four-foot-long bridgeplates, either (I realize this requires that Amtrak or the states own the platform tracks, because the freight railroads are completely idiotic about this)

- more train service ;)

1. Showers for coach passengers on LD. One or two per train should be enough as, is suspect, most coach passengers are riding less than 500 miles. A per use charge and metered water to encourage efficient use would be fine.

2. First Class coach on selected LD trains (2 x 1 seating with full reclining seats)... extra fare.

3. "Gate Check" baggage for unstaffed stations. Implementing would require having a coach/baggage for boarding/deboarding. Necessary shuffling between the c/b and the baggage car could happen at major station rest stops.

4. "Lending Library" shelf in lounge cars.

5. Bicycle racks available for all trains. (Some implementation being done with the new CAF baggage cars).

6. Assigned seating is best left to the conductors as they are in position to react to differing conditions... full trains vs ample open seats, LD vs short haul, special considerations (avoiding multiple stops a short platforms, etc)

The treads which mentioned "box lunches" for sleepers is an existing amenity which the sleeper attendant should be already doing.

The snack bar in the lounge on LD trains has a lot of stuff behind the counter (playing cards, etc) that are poorly displayed and marketed. Expanding the stock of sundries (pillows, blankets, ???) and properly promoting them (a "stock" phamphlet in the seat backs?) would be fully utilizing a amenity which is currently poorly implemented.

FYI the wifi on some high speed trains in Europe have a system that will use Satellite or Cell towers. The system is designed to use the best signal. The first class pax have free access, but the coach pax have to pay to use the system.

The use of computer and other wifi system in Europe is much lower than stateside. France is one of the countries that just not wired.

Thanks for all the replies and feedback, although the thread was mainly for fun (I think out loud a lot); hearing a different perspective was nice and I've changed my mind on a couple of them.

I'm in agreement about showers probably not being practical for coach because somebody would have to be constantly cleaning. I'm used to showering at gyms so I don't expect perfection, I'm not going to freak out if I see dirt, but there's something about "hair" that grosses me out, whether it's stuck to the wall or on my dinner plate.

Perhaps your right on tech overload, an inventory of my own luggage yields: Iphone, Ipad, laptop, Itouch, and an older gen MP3 player. My last sleeper trip and the outlet was useless because the rectangular shape of my charger prevented me from being able to plug it in all the way, but that won't be a problem with the square Apple charger. Needless to say, I won't be starving for some kind of entertainment.

I think sleeping compartments could use a remodel, even if it's just basic stuff (I can only pray my thermostat works this time).

We all talked about the café a bit. I never see more than one employee down there, one person to stock, setup, serve, ring people up, answer various questions, and close up again. Seemed like a lot of work.

I like the idea of navigational aids or trip progression similar to the channel devoted to that in your stateroom while taking a cruise. But it would require installing monitors, so we're back to that again.

Yes, having additional lounges would take away from seat revenue. I was thinking more along the lines of the Parlor Car on the CS, why not have something like that for everybody on the train to enjoy?

So my rationale for a lot of this is to increase amenities on the wish list of current passengers AND to bring in new Amtrak passengers. Seriously, I know people that practically think Amtrak still uses steam engines; anything other than airplanes sounds old-fashioned.

P.S. I'm not a big fan of faster trains....I like the trip to last.

I like the idea of navigational aids or trip progression similar to the channel devoted to that in your stateroom while taking a cruise. But it would require installing monitors, so we're back to that again.
A closed wifi network with a web page to display trip progression and an engine cam would be nice to monitor on your personal device.

After thinking about all this, I think the best amenity for Amtrak to easily add would be something between Coach and Sleeper. It's very easy to just buy some airline-style lie-flat seats and stick them in the train and it would be something that I definitely want to add.

From ratings and research, I suggest the JAL SkySuite or Lufthansa's New Business Class. I'm interested in the slightly staggered config of theformer and the slight V-shape of the latter, even though I've never flown on either. Herringbone seating would be a disaster for ground transport, you can't see outside! A parallel seat would be bad if someone is sleeping and you want to visit the lounge.

- Sightseer Lounges for the single-level trains like the ones used on Superliner trains. I don't think they need to be dome cars (there may be height problems with proper domes) but the big curved skylight windows are certainly possible.
I'd settle for lounge style seating with decent regular windows. Most trip time isn't spent in canyons.

I'd settle for lounge style seating with decent regular windows. Most trip time isn't spent in canyons.
Something like th old Le Pub that used to run on the Montrealer would be very nice. It sure had very nice atmosphere as I recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back