American Orient Express

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Musicians4Trains

Train Attendant
I saw a segment on the American Oriental Express the other day and it looked like it had AMTRAK engines. Is this run by Amtrak?

Anyhow I was thinking about taking one of their tours but they are PRICEY.

Depending on the accomodations they can run from about $2800.00 to over $6000.00 for an eight day tour. This does include hotels and meals though.

Has anyone partaken already? How was it? It looks like it might be a lot of fun.

No the AOE is totally seperate from Amtrak, but to power their trains AOE leases Amtrak locomotives often.

They almost exclusively use Amtrak Road Power as their power (they do lease an ex-Amtrak F-40 for HEP power at times from Cincinnati Railway). Amtrak crews are also usually used for AOE service, and man does AOE know how to treat crews. It's not unusual for guys to "play the board" when AOE is in town, just so they can get that AOE pampering.

I have found, at least of late, that they have been using the higher number units. Presumably, the more reliable ones. I remember spotting a pair of 180’s, and once my fav. (207) was even up front. A lot of time you can spot the train with back to back numbered units as well.

There may be an opportunity to see one of the AOE trains in Jackson, MS in the next several weeks. They are discussing spotting the train in the station and doing a re-dedication of the new Amtrak station. Stay tuned...

AMTRAK-P42 said:
I have found, at least of late, that they have been using the higher number units. Presumably, the more reliable ones. I remember spotting a pair of 180’s, and once my fav. (207) was even up front. A lot of time you can spot the train with back to back numbered units as well.
Funny you say that because the higher numbered units are usually not as reliable. Units 123-207 were baisicly thrown together by GE in the Warrington era. It's been found that the older units, 1-122, are much more reliable and better built.

BTW, I did see the AOE segement last night on the Travel Channel during there National Park Week special. It was pretty good, but a lot of it was spent describing the national parks the train past through more than the train itself. Also, one of the P-42s pulling the train that was used during the filming of the show had a sick air horn. It sounded more like a car beeping than the disinctive Amiercan diesel air horn.

Amfleet said:
Amfleet said:
BTW, I did see the AOE segement last night on the Travel Channel during there National Park Week special. It was pretty good, but a lot of it was spent describing the national parks the train past through more than the train itself. Also, one of the P-42s pulling the train that was used during the filming of the show had a sick air horn. It sounded more like a car beeping than the disinctive Amiercan diesel air horn.
I went to their website and the cars are very interesting. They really look luxurious. :)

Amfleet said:
AMTRAK-P42 said:
Funny you say that because the higher numbered units are usually not as reliable. Units 123-207 were baisicly thrown together by GE in the Warrington era. It's been found that the older units, 1-122, are much more reliable and better built.

I thought the same when I saw that program.

Amfleet said:
Actaully Amfleet, 123-168 are fine. The original orders called for soemthing like 220 straight diesel engines in total, 20 P-32-8's, 44 P-40's, and 156 P-42's. Now three P-40's were wrecked, and two DASH 8's lost to CalDOT. So it brought the number of P-42's in total to about 168. With Warrington's Express Crap more engines became necessary, so more were needed. GE itching to get that order gave Amtrak the additional 39 P-42's for a song, so the quality was about the same as the price.

I remember seeing 15 and 17 at the head end of the AOE when it was in Savannah. I also remember seeing on one of the channels a show showing the AOE going through the south to Washington, it was made around 2000, it had 2 F40's to power it, but was great to see.

Musicians4Trains said:
I saw a segment on the American Oriental Express the other day and it looked like it had AMTRAK engines. Is this run by Amtrak?

Depending on the accomodations they can run from about $2800.00 to over $6000.00 for an eight day tour. This does include hotels and meals though.

Has anyone partaken already? How was it? It looks like it might be a lot of fun.
The AOE is a beautiful trainset, and a wonderful experience from what I gather from friends who have had the oportunity to enjoy it! I have been through the entire consist in the past! It is almost as if you step back into time! A very luxurious train indeed and well worth the money! I do understand, however, that the train spends most of its nights parked somewhere, whereas travel usually occurs in daylight. I may not be totally correct with that assumption, however. I normally wish to stay away from trains when I am not working, but I do plan on taking the AOE sometime in the future. This is one train where it is a good idea to have "GOOOOD" trip cancelation insurance, though!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :D

Amtrak OBS Employee said:
Musicians4Trains said:

The AOE is a beautiful trainset, and a wonderful experience from what I gather from friends who have had the oportunity to enjoy it! I have been through the entire consist in the past! It is almost as if you step back into time! A very luxurious train indeed and well worth the money! I do understand, however, that the train spends most of its nights parked somewhere, whereas travel usually occurs in daylight. I may not be totally correct with that assumption, however. I normally wish to stay away from trains when I am not working, but I do plan on taking the AOE sometime in the future. This is one train where it is a good idea to have "GOOOOD" trip cancelation insurance, though!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :D
Not Before i do LOL

what year will we do this? lol

I must contend it is a beautful train.

Rides Often

Amtrak OBS Employee said:
The AOE is a beautiful trainset, and a wonderful experience from what I gather from friends who have had the oportunity to enjoy it! I have been through the entire consist in the past! It is almost as if you step back into time! A very luxurious train indeed and well worth the money! I do understand, however, that the train spends most of its nights parked somewhere, whereas travel usually occurs in daylight. I may not be totally correct with that assumption, however. I normally wish to stay away from trains when I am not working, but I do plan on taking the AOE sometime in the future. This is one train where it is a good idea to have "GOOOOD" trip cancelation insurance, though!!!!!!!!!! :lol:   :D
I must say that the idea of travelling only during the day appeals to me when you are travelling through beautiful country that you miss while sleeping and it's dark out. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back