American Orient Express

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

XNWA

Service Attendant
Nothing against Amtrak, but has anyone ever taken one of their trips? If I can ever save enough money, might like to try it.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Nothing against Amtrak, but has anyone ever taken one of their trips? If I can ever save enough money, might like to try it.Any feedback would be appreciated.
While the idea seems great, the price makes it prohibitive for me...so I will keep riding Amtrak instead.

Unless of course anyone here would like to extend a gift or a loan?? (tee-hee).

Actually, AEO does not exist anymore and has been purchased by GrandLuxe Rail. It is still expensive, but from all accounts, it is well worth the money. The average age of the passengers is 50+, as you might expect. With GrandLuxe, most of the tours this year are focused on the West.

Actually, AEO does not exist anymore and has been purchased by GrandLuxe Rail. It is still expensive, but from all accounts, it is well worth the money. The average age of the passengers is 50+, as you might expect. With GrandLuxe, most of the tours this year are focused on the West.
Yes I realize they are Grandluxe Rail now. I recently viewed a video of their tour thru the national parks out west. I went on their website to look at their tours and rates, would be nice. I will need to win the lottery first. :lol:

Nothing against Amtrak, but has anyone ever taken one of their trips? If I can ever save enough money, might like to try it.Any feedback would be appreciated.
I have taken the one that was running from washington DC to New Orleans when it was still dry.

The service was excellent and the food was also very well done, with house wine served at dinner.

The problem was or is that you also were touring so that at times if you wanted to, one had to be up at 6am to shower, have breakfast and load onto the buses for historical sites. They did say you could stay on the train and have lunch in the dinning car, though I am not sure how many couples did that.

The cars were pullman cars with everyone having thier own bathroom, but unless you had a suite you had to use one shower. I would like to see two showers as people did not stick to thier assigned times. One nice thing was at least then, we could open the dutch doors and enjoy the scenery that way. I did a lot of standing thru the trip -))))))

We also went off to see a railraod site, not sure which city but I believe it was Mobile where the Soutthern had a roundhouse. (sorry NYC fan here)

Now they are Trans Delux and from what I have seen of thier routes they are doing the Grand Canyon or National Parks and then into Mexico for the copper canyon.

Bill

Nothing against Amtrak, but has anyone ever taken one of their trips? If I can ever save enough money, might like to try it.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
I have taken the one that was running from washington DC to New Orleans when it was still dry.

The service was excellent and the food was also very well done, with house wine served at dinner.

The problem was or is that you also were touring so that at times if you wanted to, one had to be up at 6am to shower, have breakfast and load onto the buses for historical sites. They did say you could stay on the train and have lunch in the dinning car, though I am not sure how many couples did that.

The cars were pullman cars with everyone having thier own bathroom, but unless you had a suite you had to use one shower. I would like to see two showers as people did not stick to thier assigned times. One nice thing was at least then, we could open the dutch doors and enjoy the scenery that way. I did a lot of standing thru the trip -))))))

We also went off to see a railraod site, not sure which city but I believe it was Mobile where the Soutthern had a roundhouse. (sorry NYC fan here)

Now they are Trans Delux and from what I have seen of thier routes they are doing the Grand Canyon or National Parks and then into Mexico for the copper canyon.

Bill
So how often are THESE trains 4 hours or so behind schedule because of freight trains, slow orders, etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back