Amfleet I Interior Refresh

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the regular coach version of the picture it looks like Amtrak replaced the LED sign on the ends of the car with regular plastic signs. Im referring to the LED sign I have in my display picture.
I have always thought the LED signs are a good feature but are not used properly. They could be very helpful if they displayed other information than the location of the exit and restroom, such as the upcoming station.
Sent from my SM-J327P using Amtrak Forum mobile app
I can tell you the Acela equipment uses the LED display for Next Station as well as other general info.

The article linked above states.."Synthetic leather replaced the fabric, allowing for more breathability.". Is that true? I always had the notion synthetic leathers were the kind that stuck to your butt on hot, humid days.

Does anyone have any idea how fast Amtrak is refreshing the Amfleets with new seats or how many have been partially completed to date? I know they're doing it in stages. If anyone is interested, Amtrak wrote a blog post on designing the new seats: http://blog.amtrak.com/2017/11/designing-a-more-comfortable-ride-for-amtraks-amfleet-cars/
I believe the number of partially completed cars is in the high 50's or so. The seats are the easy part and being completed at outlying areas in addition to Amtrak facilities. The wainscotting, curtains and flooring is what takes the time. I'm thinking are only a handful of complete cars.

I've ridden one with new seat covers and carpet, and walked through a few others. I have yet to encounter one with the new bathroom flooring, wainscoting or curtains. I've only been on a NER train using cars that are potentially in the program, the other trains I've ridden were either SL or AM-2 so they are not in play. That is anecdotal and has no statistical value, but it sure was nice to see clean carpet.

I believe that the "synthetic leather" that will be used for the seat upgrade is vinyl. Its much softer than it was 30 years back and it may have been redesigned to breathe better. It should be very comfortable. The color is plain but new seats will be better than the old ones..

Having actually been in one for a 3.5 hour trip I thought they were fine. The big questions are whether they will keep up the maintenance, and how they will hold up to the heavy usage they get. Those are wait and see items... They did not have the "hair towels" so I wonder if that will be a dirt spot later on....

Last edited by a moderator:
They did not have the "hair towels" so I wonder if that will be a dirt spot later on....
Antimacassars, originally used to protect 19th-century furniture from a hair oil called "macassar." That particular hair oil is history, but the need for upholstery protection is with us still.

Vinyl has advantages and disadvantages, its main advantages are relatively low cost, very high durability for a given cost and thickness, and the fact that it can be and often is non porus, meaning things like sweat do not permeate the material, nor do damage to the padding underneath it- and it can be literally hosed off.

Mercedes-Benz used it in conjunction with horsehair seat pads and coil springs in their seats for years- the non porus nature of both their full grain leather and their vinyl meant the horsehair could last for decades.

Isn't it somewhat premature to make that judgement? If they hold up well and aren't bad on cold or hot days they may be fine.
Never ever pass an opportunity to pass judgement before it is time, to appear to be the oracle.
default_tongue.png

All passengers happy, doubtful....the armrest debate will continue forever, the bland appearance, max lumens per watt without regard to CRI in most new lighting systems......there will always be something to hanker over. To me, the real test will be whether or not the cars are kept clean, new sea covers and carpets, regardless of the material, will become uninviting rather quickly if not kept clean.

Not sure why the forum software didn't convert it to an inline video?

I really enjoy behind the scenes videos like this.

Has Amtrak ever partnered with anyone to make an hour-long documentary type show?

I'm riding in a refreshed Amfleet I car #82545 today on NER #149 from NHV-WAS. The new seats are very nice. You don't sink into them the way you did in the old seats. These also provide some nice lumbar support. I believe the carpet is new too, and the LED lighting is installed. My only complaint is the headrests on the new seats are a little bit taller than the old ones, so you can't see as much when you're trying to look out the window. I'm willing to sacrifice that for comfier seats, though. There aren't too many places of good scenery on the NEC anyway.

I'm riding #84 in two weeks NFK-PHL. Considering Norfolk is one of the places they're doing the work I guess it's a safe bet I'll get one of the refurb cars.

Back