Amfleet question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

racer1735

Service Attendant
I am trying to get back into the railfan game after having been out of the loop for the past 20 years or so. I rode the 'Cardinal' back in the early 80's when it still made a stop in Muncie, IN, and my memory seems to recall the early Amfleet coaches having 'frameless' trucks (the wheels weren't obscured by suspension or frames on the trucks). More recently I've noticed 'conventional' style trucks on these cars. Am I remembering correctly? Or is my memory playing games? To me, they were a very distinctive feature (in addition to, at the time, the curved style to the sides of the cars).

I don't think there's been any truck retrofit, and I would still call them "frameless trucks," as it seems the only obscuring detail is the one suspension bar (?) near each.

amtruck.jpg

Most of the hardware that's normally contained on the exterior of the truck is contained on the inside of the wheels on most Amfleets. However on the Amfleet I Cab Cars the trucks are different (they have more of a traditional truck). You can see in this photo below:

2006122221365517867.jpg

Properly they are "Inside Frame Trucks"
Amfleet I and Amfleet II have inside frame trucks.

The similar appearing Cab Cars and Michigan Cars are actually refurbished 1967 Metroliner Cars which had outside frame trucks.
True what you see in the picture are inside frame trucks. If you see the full wheel as you do in this picture, then it is an inside frame truck.

George

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back