Amtrak’s Texas Eagle is like an Artichoke, Mr. Congressman

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gene Poon on Trainorders posted this link from Corridor Rail Development yesterday.
Interesting read.
Texas: Amtrak’s Texas Eagle is like an Artichoke, Mr. Congressman
By Russell Jackson, Highland Village, Texas, Guest Commentator; January 23, 2022
http://corridorrail.com/u-s-texas-amtraks-texas-eagle-is-like-an-artichoke-mr-congressman/
The only person that represents Texas in Washington that seems to care about Amtrak is Rep Llyod Dodgett, D-Austin.

My so called Rep ( Chio Roy,R-Austin)sent a canned " thanks for bringing this to my attention" form letter when I wrote about the problems with the Texas Eagle, and my 2 Senators( Coryn and Cruz/ both Rs) didn't even bother to answer since I'm not on their contributors list.

The Eagle isn't the only Orphan LD Train, the City of New Orleans,Crescent and Cap Ltd.also are receiving Second Class Treatment by Amtrak Management in Washington with no real explanation except "COVID and Staff Shortages!"

It certainly will be interesting if they ever have to explain what theyre doing with the Billions that Congress is providing, as service and equipment is being downgraded as a result of poor planning on their part!

Enough of a rant, Amtrak Joe and Mayor Pete need to have their staffs look in to this and fix it before these Trains disappear like so many others have!🤬

I am on the Zephyr enjoying traditional dining. Every meal is superb. The Texas Eagle and all the Eastern trains still have flexible dining a 180 from traditional dining. The food sucks. Considering the price of sleepers on the Eastern trains you expect decent food. Sadly,you aren't getting itm

I don’t know what it’s going to take for people to wake up. Gardner is no friend of the national network and unfortunately he knows politics. Things are only going to get worse. Covid is horrible but it has very little to do with Amtrak's self destruction.

From a recent rider: Please take this train out of its misery.

Not to quibble but the article mentions "the money losing Northeast corridor". I was under the impression that the NEC breaks even at least operationally. I don't want to turn this into an NEC vs LD fight as we need both for Amtrak to succeed as a national system but just wanted to correct the record here.

I agree that upgrading the TE and making all LDs daily are necessary once the current staffing/COVID situation is resolved

We will see over the next 2 months if 5 day a week operation eliminates random train cancellations. There is still no excuse for reduced consists on the Chief, down to 1 full sleeper, and the Empire Builder, whose Portland section is down to 1 coach like the Seattle section. A coach attendant can handle 2 coaches. Covid is an excuse, not a reason for these degradations. Amtrak made out very well in the American Rescue Plan.

The entire Amtrak Board is term-expired by at least 10 months. Until Biden, Buttigieg, and Trottenberg, one year into office, wake up, come out of Connect US $66 Billion La La Land, and start appointing new Board member from a cross spectrum as prescribed by Congress, political operative Stephen Gardner answers to Stephen Gardner. In the next Congress, he will be as despised as the current Post Master General is in this Congress, and all bets are off for both the national network and the NEC.

Yes, the Texas Eagle is the next Southwest Chief on the chopping block, which should be quite obvious to everyone, and the TEMPO Revenue Management group is still out of the picture.

Back